Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Free Access

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 1 Jan 2011 12:03

Hi All,
Am really P....... Off! What few 1911 census records I managed to access during last nights free access, I saved to the " my favorites" box, thinking I would study them today when I had more time, only to discover the access had been withdrawn, presumabley after the 2 hr window!! Thinking about it now, I suppose I should have saved them to my comp, but I really think this is a cheap stunt to pull. Will look elsewhere when I am able to get a subscription.

Christine.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Jan 2011 12:52

Yes, that's the way it works. Same thing happens if you let your subscription lapse. Other sites are no different - i.e. Ancestry's shoebox - so always save to your computer.

June

June Report 1 Jan 2011 12:59

Hi All, I was also P----- off all I kept getting last night in the 2 hours free look up was sorry maintenance taking place

Christine

Christine Report 1 Jan 2011 13:13

A lesson well learned I'd say. But still feel a bit aggrieved!

Christine.

Sidami

Sidami Report 1 Jan 2011 14:44

I wasn't too pleased either I had planned my night to be able to go on here for 2 hours, i WAS so frustrated I had everything written down ready to save time and I couldnt get on GR it was down for maintenance........uhhh not impressed I think they should repeat it and make sure we can all get on on.

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 1 Jan 2011 15:47

Petition started

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/records_office/thread/1253673

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 1 Jan 2011 17:19

Well I was quite pleased with my two hours work. True it was rather slow, due probably to the number of people all using the site at once, and yes the maintenance notices were annoying, but they only lasted a few minutes. I started by downloading but then found that printing was a lot quicker. and I have about a dozen census returns and have found quite a lot of new relatives.

Happy New Year to everybody.

mac

mac Report 1 Jan 2011 19:21

Why run a petition, this was supposed to be something for nothing - not often that happens anywhere! I agree it didn't go well and was rather frustrating, but the amount of traffic must have been enormous. I have a full sub, and gave up even trying to answer my messages or look at a thread I was trying to help due to the problems.

There are lots of people on here willing to do look-ups for free so why wait for the "freebies", post up the details and let others help - that is what this forum is all about.

Happy new year too!

Terri

Terri Report 1 Jan 2011 20:00

Hi
I also kept getting sorry maintenance work please try later.
I have sent a 'not happy' message to the Genes team but had no reply.
They should have been ready for high use in them 2 hours but were not so I will sign any petition that is ongoing.
Happy new Year.
Terri

Colin

Colin Report 1 Jan 2011 23:20

It was hard going at the start but Genes extended the free period up to 9pm so for those like me who persisted it was a worthwhile exercise. I found that while the image was 'appearing' on screen if you downloaded at that point you often got the download before it came on the screen. It was probably just down to heavy traffic. Those with longish memories remember the 1901 census going up online in a similar flaky fashion.
Colin

Travelman

Travelman Report 2 Jan 2011 11:25

Not happy here either - I attached some of the 1911 census records to people in my GR tree but I am unable to view those either - I wish GR had told us before what we would and wouldn't be able to do after the free period if you were not a Platinum member.