Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 soldier wills digitised for online archive

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 29 Aug 2013 11:45

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23861821

Roy

Adeline

Adeline Report 29 Aug 2013 12:34

This is the link to the search:

https://www.gov.uk/probate-search

I've just been searching and have found only one soldier out of about fifteen WW1 deaths in my tree. I had hoped to find a will for my grandfather's brother but was unsuccessful. Maybe he will be in the next batch to be released.

The cost of a will is £6.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 29 Aug 2013 12:40

None of mine there either....

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 29 Aug 2013 12:41

How sad Adeline - 15 WW1 deaths on your tree. I have always said how blessed my family was. Every last one of them came home. Only 2 from OHs family didn't make home and both of them served with Canadian regiments.

Sally

Sally Report 29 Aug 2013 14:19

thanks for this iwas hopeing to find my aunts oh in my pic but may have found a rellie of his

sally w <3

Louise

Louise Report 29 Aug 2013 15:31

has anyone managed to pay for a will on ww1 soldiers wills?
i have found one but seems to be a problem as it doesnt go to a page you can pay for the will.
:(

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 29 Aug 2013 15:36

Louise, I am having the same problem, it misses out the payment details page and skips to the payment confirmation page.

I will try again tomorrow.

Roy

Louise

Louise Report 29 Aug 2013 15:38

roy
thanks for replying-its been driving me mad. at least its not just me !

Sarah

Sarah Report 29 Aug 2013 18:44

me too! very frustrating, as I've found 2 of my chaps

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 29 Aug 2013 19:09

The article did say;...The wills, which are owned by Her Majesty's Court and Tribunal Service (HMCTS), are being digitised in time for next year's centenary of WWI.

so I wonder if they will not allow them to be downloaded until then?

Roy

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 29 Aug 2013 21:35

Thank you so much for the link.

I've found both mine on there, just a shame we can't get them yet.

Chris

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Aug 2013 23:51

Yes!!! :-D :-D :-D

Mind you, as great Uncle George was unmarried, anything probably went to his mother.
Something to spend our hard-earned on tomorrow.

Thank's Roy :-D

Adeline

Adeline Report 30 Aug 2013 15:50

Having re-checked the site today for my great-uncle's will, I found his unusual first name mistranscribed and I have now managed to place an order. Click on the card provider symbol on the Payment Confirmation page and the payment details page then appears.

But...don't get too excited! You have to wait up to ten days for the will download to become available. I hope, in view of the patience I now need to show, that mine will say a bit more than "I leave everything to my mother." It just shows how much we have come to expect instant results at the click of a mouse!

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 30 Aug 2013 17:06

Adeline, When I tried yesterday the Payment Confirmation page never gave you a choice of card providers it only gave the option to cancel

I have now order 3 of my grandmothers brothers will's and look forward to what ever info they hold

Roy

Adeline

Adeline Report 30 Aug 2013 18:17

I also couldn't get past the Payment Confirmation page yesterday or this morning. It just worked the first time I tried this afternoon.

Annx

Annx Report 30 Aug 2013 19:03

The article only seems to mention WW1 examples, but the site gives dates from 1850 to 1986. I have found someone who was killed in WW2.

Now edited as I should have said 'WW1 examples' and not just 'WW1'.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 30 Aug 2013 21:21

Annx, The article says;...Paragraph 5....The huge online archive is also as part of a larger project to make all war wills publicly available, dating from the Boer War to the Falklands

and the government probate site says;.....Search for the will of a soldier who died while serving in the British armed forces between 1850 and 1986

Roy

lilybids

lilybids Report 31 Aug 2013 12:01

do you think we will be able to print the will s

I have just ordered one

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 31 Aug 2013 12:35

Lilybids, Hope so, Even if the site won't let you there's usualy a way round these things

Roy

lilybids

lilybids Report 31 Aug 2013 12:37

Porkie-pie Thank -you