Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

info on buriel can stranger be buried in plot

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Keith

Keith Report 14 Mar 2011 22:08

hi can anybody tell me about buriel plots. i ask because i have found the plot of my great uncle his wife and his son
he was buried in 1938 the last of his known family
then it states cremated remains of Mary Corbridge in 1997 aged 100years
she was born in pouringland norfolk
i cannot connect her to the family .is it possible for a stranger to be intered in a plot not of her family
any info please as a real mystery

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 14 Mar 2011 22:22

think it is quite possible for strangers to be buried in somone else's grave - well it was years ago, not sure about these days

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Mar 2011 22:24

Yes, it is possible.

When I was looking for my grandfather's burial I found that he was buried with someone with a name not connected to the family. (my grandfather had left his family in the 1920's and remarried and had another daughter).

When I finally made contact with this daughter she told me that when her father died his ashes were placed on the grave of the mother of her very good friend - because at the time she could not afford the cost of a plot.

Kath. x

patchem

patchem Report 14 Mar 2011 22:26

If they are ashes, they are scattered anyway?
You do not need to bury them.

Keith

Keith Report 14 Mar 2011 22:27

ann thank you.. it is a puzzle as the family are in a cheshire cemetary and this lady was born in norfolk
i thought maybe she had no family but then i thought if that was the case why would she be in cheshire and why would they open this grave for her ashes
as i said a real puzzle

Keith

Keith Report 14 Mar 2011 22:29

patchem it states on grave info ashes of this lady interred in grave
i know ashes are sometimes buried as it has happened in my family
thanks for answering

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Mar 2011 22:30

The grave may not have been opened - they could have just scattered the ashes and still recorded that on the headstone or in the burial register.

Could she have been a distant relation or a very good friend of the family. If she was 100 years old perhaps there were no members of her immediate family left to sort anything else out.

Kath. x

patchem

patchem Report 14 Mar 2011 22:31

Cremated remains can be scattered or buried. Cremation plots or columbarium niches are usually cheaper than a traditional burial plot or mausoleum crypt, and require less space. Some religions, such as Roman Catholicism, require the burial or entombment of cremated remains, but burial of cremated remains may often be accomplished in the burial plot of another person, such as a family member, without any additional cost. This option is charged for in England in an Anglican church where the fee is set by the Table of Parochial Fees (£36 to incumbent and £78 to church council) a total of £114 in 2010 with a marker charged as extra. It is also very common to scatter the remains in a place which was liked by the deceased such as the sea, a river, a beach or a park, following their last will. This is generally forbidden in public places but very easy to do

Have you thought to ask the cemetery authorities?

Family Whispers

Family Whispers Report 14 Mar 2011 22:33

There are private plots where only one person and/or family can be burried, these are usually on a lease of 70 years, after that thae plot can be reused. This has happened with my own gt,grandmother who died in 1925. Also there are public graves (communal) these are usually filled at the same time with 5-6 people and could have a headstone for each one.
These are for those who cannot afford the private plot.

LA

Keith

Keith Report 14 Mar 2011 22:34

Kathleen thank you i was thinking of putting out a plea for info on this lady to see if i can find a connection (i have not done yet but does anybody think it worth putting her name on trying to find

Kay????

Kay???? Report 14 Mar 2011 22:35

Has the ladys name has been added to an exsisting headstone ?as thats most unusual..

unpaid plots have a life of 50years..in which it states the ground can be re-claimed if no ownership of the grave plot exsists.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Mar 2011 22:39

Have you tried putting her name into the "search trees" at the top of the page to see if anyone on Genes has her in their tree? (although Corbridge could be her married name).

If you get in touch with the cemetery they may be able to tell you who organised the funeral.

Kath. x

Keith

Keith Report 14 Mar 2011 22:43

thank you everybody for info. i find as i thank somebody then it looks as if i have not bothered to thank another
patchem the plot is R.C
i have info from the area office as stated as the cemetary itself has no office (just refer you to area office)
if she was as stated 100 years old then probably as you say no relatives left
just puzzeled as to why after so many years this one was chosen
i suppose i will never know
just curious i suppose as to why she came to be there
once again thanks all of you for answering

Keith

Keith Report 14 Mar 2011 22:46

Kathleen there is no stone but a record from office of people in the grave and the date they were buried
i will put her name into search trees .thanks

Valerie

Valerie Report 14 Mar 2011 22:58

Hi Keith - I had a similar experience - I found my grandfather's plot in Lewisham (he d1950) .... with a headstone for someone else! I contacted the local council - who explained there were at least 6 others in same plot. I returned there last year and placed a 'memorial notice' in front of the headstone - with grandad's name etc. (was told grave/plots are dug 32ft!)
Valerie

Family Whispers

Family Whispers Report 14 Mar 2011 23:11

Perhaps Mary had no family and she was intered in your ancestors grave, they would have dug a hole just behind the head stone so the grave would not be disturbed.

LA

Family Whispers

Family Whispers Report 14 Mar 2011 23:23

Mary Corbridge, born 13th Jul 1896, died Apr 1997, age 100

Norwich, Norfolk. Register No. A17B, District 6391A, Entry 287.

LA

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 15 Mar 2011 09:33

You could buy a copy of her death certificate to see who the informant was.

Keith

Keith Report 15 Mar 2011 15:45

lady Agusta and root gatherer i may just do that as i am curious
Valerie thank you for your info had no idea they were that big
thank you to all who took the time to give me info
Keith

Island

Island Report 15 Mar 2011 17:47

Hi Keith

This is an intriguing story.
If the lady is the same Mary Corbridge that LA has found a death record for then someone must have requested her remains be buried in Cheshire. Does the cemetary have a record of who or the name of the undertaker?

Why do you say at "100 years old then probably ... no relatives left" ? Maybe not of her own generation but there could be children/grands/greatgrands even nieces and nephews.
Somebody cared enough about her to have her taken to Cheshire for cremation or burial.

I wonder if Corbridge was her married or maiden name?

Edit
Maybe she lived in Cheshire but was visiting Norfolk when she died? Unlikely at 100 years but you never know!