Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WILLIAM BARRY FITZGERALD, Dublin

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 15 Nov 2011 00:40

This gentleman is my Great Great Grandfather. He was a QC in Dublin.

I have found the information below about his burial on LDS; it is a 'submitted' entry:
Event(s):
Birth: 1790 , , Ireland

Christening:
Death: 13 DEC 1845

I am trying to find the confirmed record of his death and burial and, hopefully, whether there is a memorial to him. I think there would be one.

I think it is also possible that he travelled out to India at some time . . .

I would be VERY grateful for any help you can give me.

Please forgive if I don't come back to all your posts tonight; day job calls and I must get some shuteye!

Thank you in advance.

Nicola

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 15 Nov 2011 01:47

can only see what you found and it is "submitted" so not reliable

Wiliam Barry Fitzgerald Pedigree
Male

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: 1790 , , Ireland

Christening:
Death: 13 DEC 1845

Liam

Liam Report 15 Nov 2011 01:47

Hi Nicola,
re- William Barry Fitzgerald,
Address- 8,Blessington Street,Dublin.
[ Burial ] 13th dec 1845, age 55,
Service at COI St Mary, Dublin.

Information obtained at
irish genealogy.ie /and free to search

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 15 Nov 2011 12:00

Have pm'd VERY kind Liam and also thanked him for the tip about Irish Geneology.

Where I have now found the baptism of WBF's daughter, so I'm doubly happy!

Thank you to all GR's; you are all so helpful.

Nicola

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 15 Nov 2011 17:02

I am now trying to find a possible memorial/headstone for WILLIAM BARRY FITZGERALD.

I've tried in vain for all sorts of internet searches but can't get anywhere with this at all.

I presume that since his service was at COI St. Mary, Dublin that he must be buried there?? Yes/no??

Please can someone help me out with this. Since he was a Queen's Counsel (QC) in Dublin, it seems very unlikely that he didn't have a headstone or memorial . . .

I'll be back and forth to this thread all evening. Many thanks in advance.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 15 Nov 2011 17:21

Nicola.....

St Mary's was the actual "Parish"....What other info.do you have relating to him...? Was he born in Dublin..? if not then he may be buried elsewhere...Did his wife pre decease him..? If she did maybe she was not from Dublin and he was buried with her...
Without knowing anything about the family.. its difficult to suggest where to look...

What relation was Gerald Fitzgerald to Wm. ?

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 15 Nov 2011 17:38

To: Eringobragh.

Thank you very much for responding.

Who is Gerald Fitzgerald??!!

I know no more about WBF, other than that he married Mary Anne somebodyorother (maiden name not known - yet) and that one of their daughters was Frances Adelaide Fitzgerald who was baptised in the same church in May 1834.

I cannot find the marriage for WBF and his Mary Anne and I cannot find any more offspring. I cannot find birth details for WBF. I cannot find MAF's death.

I'm in a pickle here. Normally I have more to go on, but I'm struggling with this one.

Help, please.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 15 Nov 2011 18:15

Nicola....

Going from the address 8 Blessington St.and the date of death of WBF I crossed ref.the two and found a Gerald Fitzgerald was living there 1850..coincidence..possibly..which is why I asked about him..
Further cross ref.showed only 2 Fitzgerald QCs' in Dublin 1850s...Thomas and John D.
Given Wm Barry Fitzgerald was only 55 when he died then I certainly would expect him to be listed 1840s..Will check that out....(Think his name historically should be Wm de Barry Fitzgerald)
He may well have been a Graduate of Kings Inns Dublin but accessing/checking the Alumni is going to take some ploughing through.....

mgnv

mgnv Report 15 Nov 2011 20:08

Most City of Dublin parish registers are free online at:
http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/
[There are also Carlow, Cork & Kerry OPRs there too]

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 16 Nov 2011 20:12

Eringobragh -

Thank you as always for your kind input.

I have contacted the Kings Inn archivist in the hope that he may be revealed there. Watch this space.

Nicola

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 17 Nov 2011 08:44

Nicola....

Am after going on another trawl. I dont know how I was so stupid it but I have been looking at 1855 for his death etc....doh..!!
That being said I still cannot locate anything relative to a Wm.B Fitzgerald QC...
I am wondering if he is buried in Mount Jerome Cem at Harolds Cross Dublin...plenty Fitzgeralds there and also a Fitzgerald Family Vault...

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 17 Nov 2011 09:37

Nicola....Have found Frances' Baptism 1834...That was in the Pro Cathedral (RC) do I take it Wm and Mary were married there..?
Odd his burial was in COI Records....Never the less if you look at the sponsors for Frances' Baptism you will see a Temperance Fitzgerald...have cross ref her and found a Temperance Fitzgerald marrying a Cpt.James O'Dowd 1788 however she would perhaps be too old to be Frances Sponsor (1834) but have found this ref....

1808 - Kings Inn Admission Papers - James O'Dowda second son of James of Odowdastown Co Mayo dec'd and Temperance Fitzgerald ed. Dublin Afft. Robt Fitzgerald of Mount Tallant Co Dublin grandfather....
Dont know where this is leading (probably a blind alley!!) but it does give a connection to Kings Inns

Liam

Liam Report 18 Nov 2011 00:44

Re-8 Blessington Street.
I found this on line,which may be of interest
assiignment from Rev James Martineau formely of Blessington Street,now of Liverpool to George Murray McGusty, Blessington Street, Solicitor.
Dated- 7th Nov 1832

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 18 Nov 2011 09:22

Nichola....I have double checked the Dublin 1842 Directory for Wm. and can find no-one of that name Practising Law in Dublin ...4/5 Fitzgeralds but no Wm Barry Fitzgerald....

Where did you get the info.relating to his wifes name and the fact he was a QC....
What does Frances' MC show relative to witness' etc.....

Liam

Liam Report 18 Nov 2011 12:28

possible sister to Wm B Fitgerald.

Anna Cecilia Fitzgerald.- baptism 16th apr 1808
Father- Robert Barry Fitzgerald,
Mother- Cecilia.
Dublin COI St Paul

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 18 Nov 2011 14:09

Missed her Liam !!... The "Robert Barry Fitzgerald" (Father) is interesting as a RBF is named as grandfather to James O'Dowd for his admission to Kings Inn.

Liam

Liam Report 18 Nov 2011 17:25

Erin,
I think this is a bit of a tricky one, I had thought that the " Barry " name may have been brought down through a William Fitzgerald + ? Barry marriage in the 1750'S however we'll have to see.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 18 Nov 2011 17:51

Nichola I think started this search some while back.. am certain there is something I am missing here but cant locate original thread....

Have just located the marriage of the Gerald "Robert" Fitzgerald Solicitor living 8 Blessington St. 1850 (15 Nov.18.15pm posting.)
He is son of a Charles Fitzgerald....

A thought has just occurred...Given the said Wm. was ? born 1790 then he would have entered Law School possibly early 1810/15....I am sure he would have had to follow the following route...., London required Irishmen who wished to practice as Barristers to attend the Inns of court in London, and that requirement stayed in place until the late nineteenth century. They would then go onto Kings...also he may have possibly been a KC initially not QC (King Geo.III. was on the British throne until 1837...then Queen Victoria)
All speculation until Nicola returns.

Liam

Liam Report 19 Nov 2011 01:22

Marriage,
William Barry Fitzgerald + Mary Anne Fitzgerald,
14th Jan 1817. COI St Paul Dublin.

Baptism- Mary Anne Fitzgerald, 16th Apr 1826, COI. St Mary
Father- Wm Barry Fitzgerald
Mother- Mary Anne Fitzgerald.
Address- Stafford Street, Dublin

Burial- Cecilia Fitzgerald Dec 1825 aged 10 months
Address- Stafford Street

mgnv

mgnv Report 19 Nov 2011 05:34

Here's a few snippets from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghandi
I don't know how typical Ghandi's route was, but I do think one would go to college before the bar exam, not after it (if one did go to college, although I doubt that was necessary).

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was born on 2 October 1869.
On 4 September 1888 [so age=18 - mgnv], Gandhi travelled to London, England, to study law at University College London where he studied Indian law and jurisprudence and to train as a barrister at the Inner Temple.
Gandhi was called to the bar on 10 June 1891. Two days later, he left London for India.

Also, Victoria didn't succeed George III - George IV did, followed by Victoria's other uncle, William IV, then Victoria. I don't know at what age one typically got silk.

EDIT - Just remembered UCL was only founded in 1826. Before that, the only uni's in the UK were Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, St Andrews, and Trinity College Dublin.