Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Kirkham Family Manchester

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Daniel

Daniel Report 18 Dec 2011 18:54

Hi All my name is Danny.

I have started to look for my family. My mothers family is a bit of a mystery as my grandmother is apparently adopted. I believe this to be a myth however and want to find out where my real family line goes as I now have a little daughter I want to pass the info onto.

Here is what I have so far:

My Mom is Denise Theresa Kirkham. The Youngest of 6 kids. Gerard (Half Brother - Schwitzer is surname not to sure on spelling) Vera (also half sister passed away aged 27) Tony, Pauline & Lorraine.

Her Parents are Richard A Kirkham Born Feb 1912 I think in Manachester. Not sure on this but My mom thinks his parent were George & Polly.

Her Mother was Veronica Cartmell, Born ? I think simillar age to my grandad. They were married I think in 1951. This was my Grandmothers second marraige. She was married previously to a man called schwitzer?. My grandma veronica passed away in feb 1954 when my mother was 4 months old and is burried in southern cemetary.

I have as few documents to back some of this up if anyone wants to see them.

I am really excited about all this so if anyone can help in anyway I would really appreciate it.

Thank you so much in anticipation

Daniel McClure
Killarney
Co Kerry
Ireland

jax

jax Report 18 Dec 2011 18:57

Have you looked for her birth on freebmd

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 18 Dec 2011 19:03

Hi Danny, it might be an idea to edit your first post and take your mum's address and actual birthdate out.

We don't really need that and you can't be too careful these days.

jax

jax Report 18 Dec 2011 19:03

Name: Veronica Kirkham
Birth Date: abt 1922
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1954
Age at Death: 32
Registration district: Manchester
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 10e
Page: 256

jax

jax Report 18 Dec 2011 19:08

Marriages Sep 1951 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CARTMELL Vera KIRKHAM Manchester 10e 918
CARTMELL Veronica E KIRKHAM Manchester 10e 918
KIRKHAM Richard CARTMELL Manchester 10e 918

Births Sep 1921 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cartmell Vera E McCarthy Stockport 8a 2

I think it would be a good idea to get a copy of the marriage cert to see what her fathers name was. Looks like she used Veronica but her name was Vera?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 18 Dec 2011 19:09

Danny, your gran's marriage in 1951 was in her maiden name (Cartmell). That would normally indicate that a woman hadn't been married before. Usually, when you remarry it is in the last married name.

It's not impossible that she'd been divorced and reverted to her maiden name .....

You really need to use the link jax gave you above and do a few searches.

Dea

Dea Report 18 Dec 2011 19:31

Births Mar 1912
Kirkham Richard Graham Chorlton 8c 1795

Marriages Sep 1903
Carey Patrick Manchester 8d 466
Graham Mary Manchester 8d 466 ***
Higgins Mary Manchester 8d 466
KIRKHAM George Manchester 8d 466 ***

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 18 Dec 2011 19:35

Maybe??? for 1911:

KIRKHAM, George Edward Head Married M 24 1887 Roof Slater And Roof Tiler Manchester Lancs
KIRKHAM, Mary Wife Married 8 years F 26 1885 Housekeeper Manchester Lancs
KIRKHAM, Samule Son M 7 1904 School Manchester Lancs
KIRKHAM, Ann Daughter F 5 1906 Manchester Lancs

RG number:
RG14 Piece:
23879 Reference:
RG14PN23879 RG78PN1380A RD464 SD4 ED14 SN19

Registration District:
Chorlton Sub District:
Hulme Enumeration District:
14 Parish:
South Manchester

Address:
7 Thomas Street Hulme Manchester County:
Lancashire

Dea x

Daniel

Daniel Report 18 Dec 2011 19:41

Hi All

I don't know what to say you are all being so unbelievably helpful. Thanks for the advice Maire. I will not do that in future. Not my moms address anymore but it is someones. Also I think by all accounts her first husband if they were married was a bigamist if that makes any difference.

Jax thats amazing my mom always said we were related to McCarthys but didn't know where from. I now live where I grew up in Kerry, Ireland and am surrounded by McCarthys.

I have orderes the Marraige cert so I will wait and read it before I move on.

Thank You So Much
Danny

Daniel

Daniel Report 18 Dec 2011 19:45

Hi Dea

My Mother spoke of an uncle Sam and an auntie Anne but reckons there were 11 kids altogether

Danny

jax

jax Report 18 Dec 2011 19:50

Not seeing any other marriage for your grandmother and Vera was registered as Cartmell. Gerard?? maybe its his middle name? cannot see a birth for him

jax

Births Sep 1942 (>99%)

Cartmell Vera E Cartmell Manchester 8d 105

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 18 Dec 2011 19:53

Gerard was born Schweitzer in 1944 and married in 1968. Don't want to post any more details given it's relatively recent.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 18 Dec 2011 19:55

Daniel, do you mean the Schweitzer man was a bigamist?

If that's the case then that would explain how Veronica married in 1951 in the name of Cartmell. It's also possible that they actually just lived together.

PS, I'm from McCarthy stock too, but mine are Cork.

jax

jax Report 18 Dec 2011 20:13

Would he be an American or Canadian serviceman?

Gerards birth is not on freebmd thats why I could'nt find him

jax

Dea

Dea Report 18 Dec 2011 20:19

The names do 'lean in that direction' don't they Ja...x??

Dea x

jax

jax Report 18 Dec 2011 20:34

Only Cartmell/McCarthy marriage

Name: Robert Cartmell
Spouse Surname: Mccarthy
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1920
Registration district: Glossop
Inferred County: Derbyshire
Volume Number: 7b
Page Number: 2160
Find Spouse: Find Spouse
Elizabeth Mccarthy

only one Cartmell/McCarthy birth

Daniel

Daniel Report 18 Dec 2011 20:44

Hi Guys

Just doing some digging there myself Uncle Gerard should be married around then and to Jenny. Thats fine I understand that is very recent. And yes Schweitzer I think was a bigamist. Vera would have been a lot older than my mom Jax so that 1942 could be her. To the best of my knowledge she would have died aged 27.

Would there be an easy explanation why Gerard was named Schweitzer and Vera Cartmell.

Also the stuff about my Great Grandad George looks pretty bang on Dea so where do I go from there with that line or should I concentrate on confirming the rest first.

McCarthy is a big name in Cork Marie and tis only over the road from me sure. They are rivals in sport but we are very simillar cork and kerry people.

Guys I am overwhelmed by how much you are doing for me i can't thank you enough.

Danny

Daniel

Daniel Report 18 Dec 2011 20:46

Would I be right in saying that must be my great grandparents Jax. I only met her once when when I was 8. At her 100th birthday.

Daniel

Daniel Report 18 Dec 2011 20:49

Hi Dea

The Richard Kirkham in 1912 May be a coincidence. I am nearly certain his second name was augustine.

As my cousin is named after him and hates it hahaha.

jax

jax Report 18 Dec 2011 21:11

There are no Richard A's that I can see... when and where did he die?

As to them being your gt grandparents you will need to see your grandparents marriage cert to see who vera/Veronica names as her father.

jax