Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Elizabeth Wilson Lunn Baptie Mack

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Marc

Marc Report 15 Aug 2013 21:35

Looking for a bit of help for a friend please :)

Elizabeth Wilson Lunn Baptie Mack was born 2nd Sept 1937 in Aberlady, East Lothian. Her parents Robert Mack and Alice Deans Lunn were married 2nd April 1926 in Whitekirk and Tyningham, East Lothian.

I know they were still at the same address, 6 The Pleasance, Aberlady in 1959 as my friend has a document that states this.

I have searched Scotlands People for a marriage record for Elizabeth but nothing seems to match up. I have also searched for a death record but the only one that comes up for an Elizabeth Mack has a note of other name as Mair. This of course would be a married name but not finding a marriage record for her I am a bit reluctant to pay for the certificate.

I also did a death search for her mother and got no result from Scotlands People.

I tried a quick search on Ancestry but nothing struck me as being a definite match, I also don't have a subscription! :-(

So I guess the question is did they move from Scotland or have I missed something?

Can anyone help shed any light on to her??

Thanks in advance :-)

patchem

patchem Report 15 Aug 2013 21:57

Have you got birth years for Robert and Alice?
Thanks.

Marc

Marc Report 15 Aug 2013 22:03

Marriage record has Robert as 20, so c1906, and Alice as 22, so c1904. Both were living at Auldhame, Whitekirk at time of marriage.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 15 Aug 2013 22:27

When you are searching for a marriage for Elizabeth are you selecting surname variants and forename variants please? For example if she was known as Lizzie and used that when marrying (as my Great Aunt did) then a marriage using Elizabeth, exact name won't show. Also if she didn't enter her middle names on the marriage registration her marriage would only show as Elizabeth Mack on the indexes.

Marc

Marc Report 15 Aug 2013 22:33

Doing that I get 931 possible marriage matches on Scotlands People and not knowing who or where she may have got married doesn't help narrow it down.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 15 Aug 2013 22:37

Do you have the death registrations for her parents please? If so I take it she wasn't the informant - that would make it too easy lol.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 15 Aug 2013 22:46

Is the death in 1987 of Alice Mack other surname Lunn, birth year 1904 not your lady?

Marc

Marc Report 15 Aug 2013 22:46

I have searched Scotlands People for her mother's death with no result and her father's name returns over 2000 results. Narrowing it down to East Lothian does not bring any matching results.

I know this isn't helping much but unfortunately the only information we know for definite is what I have already posted.

Marc

Marc Report 15 Aug 2013 22:47

Is that on Scotlands People??

Marc

Marc Report 15 Aug 2013 22:50

Im bemused! I had already searched for her and got no result! Now it is showing!! I must have had something wrong in the previous search!

Thanks rg!

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 15 Aug 2013 22:50

Yes but I am out of credits so I don't know the area.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 15 Aug 2013 22:52

Pity that it is too recent to get online!

Do you know Robert's mother's maiden surname please? It may be possible to narrow the search for his death using that. Or maybe by selecting the same county as that death for the Alice Mack?

Marc

Marc Report 15 Aug 2013 22:53

I have it now thanks. It is the same area they were in before.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 15 Aug 2013 22:59

????

British phone books

Name: Robert Mack
Address: Hazel Bank
Exchange: Grantshouse
Directory Title: Edinburgh / Lothians / South Fife
Publication Year: 1977
Directory County: Midlothian, East Lothian, West Lothian
Page Number: 426

Marc

Marc Report 15 Aug 2013 23:00

Yes it is a pity! Will just have to order the certificate!

Marriage record shows his parents as Richard and Christina, ms Hamilton.

I think I may have found his now! Think my eyes need to start working properly!!

Certificates will need to be ordered now and then go from there I think.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 15 Aug 2013 23:01

That looks promising then Marc. If that's Elizabeth's mother it will say if she is "married to" or "widow of" Robert. So that will narrow the timescale for his death.

Marc

Marc Report 15 Aug 2013 23:04

It does! Thanks rg!

Will also give informant that could lead to a few more answers.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 15 Aug 2013 23:09

There are only 16 Mack marriages with Elizabeth (forenames varients) in the whole of Scotland between 1955 and 2000. Have you used a credit to see if (1) any are in the area around East Lothian or (2) to check if any of them married a Mr. Mair ?

Marc

Marc Report 15 Aug 2013 23:16

Yes I have and none of them are a possible match due to either the middle name not matching or Elizabeth being the second name and none of them to a man called Mair.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 15 Aug 2013 23:22

Is it possible that she didn't marry?