Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for information on Stanley Cooper

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 21 Jan 2014 11:53

Looking for information on Stanley Cooper from Glasgow born around 1900s
Married Kathleen Mullen (from Omagh, Co. Tyrone) died mid 1940's in London from TB.
I can find absolutely no details, and so suspect this is not strictly a true story but all I have to go on.
Maggie

greyghost

greyghost Report 21 Jan 2014 12:20

You need the Scotlands People website for Scottish records £7 buys 30 credits
1 credit got the information below. For 5 credits you can look at all the info on the record within certain limits of time and download the record
Births 100 year ago, marriages 75years and deaths 50 years

The site can be manipulated - originally I asked for Stanley Cooper births 1900 =/- 5 years - only 1 showing. After that you can ask which county and eliminate that way.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Your SR Births Search Returns
You searched for: Surname: "cooper"; Surname Option: Exact; Forename: "stanley"; Forename Option: Prefix; Sex: "Male"; Year From: 1904; Year To: 1904;

Jump to page: of 1 (1 records)
No Year Surname Forename Sex District City/ County/MR GROS Data
1 1904 COOPER STANLEY M ST ANDREW (EDINBURGH) EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN 685/02 0398

The 1911 census is available via SP so you can check where this person is then

Potty

Potty Report 21 Jan 2014 12:33

Where did he live and die? How did you get back to him and where have you looked for a marriage for him and Kathleen?

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 21 Jan 2014 12:36

These are the only Stanley Cooper's born in Scotland between 1895 and 1915 see Stuart's post about using Scotlands People.

1 1904 COOPER STANLEY M ST ANDREW (EDINBURGH) EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN 685/02 0398

2 1913 COOPER STANLEY M GORBALS GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/17 0126

3 1914 COOPER STANLEY ROBERTS M ST CLEMENT DUNDEE CITY/ANGUS 282/03 0171

4 1914 COOPER STANLEY RUSSELL M CATHCART (LANARK) GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 633/0B 0357

Margaret

Margaret Report 21 Jan 2014 13:00

Stanley would have been my father-in law, he is porported to have died when my husband (also now deceased) was about 3 yrs old and living in London, the only information I was privvy to was that he was a landscape gardener from Glasgow and was told catorgorically not to ask questions.
My mother-in-law came from Omagh, County Tyrone - she also died in London.her DOB was 10th or 15th April 1910 (+/- 2 yrs)

Tracing my family tree was very easy and didn't need any more than the BMD and census records - found birth records for my husbands siblings in London area but no marriage or death record for Stanley.
Would be pleased with any direction or help for more advanced seach.

Potty

Potty Report 21 Jan 2014 13:28

Do you have your husband's birth cert to confirm his mother's maiden name? she could have been married before. I am not finding any Cooper/Mullen births that would fit. When and where was you husband born?

Edit: and what was his name?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Jan 2014 13:37

Perhaps your mother-in-law wasn't actually married to this man.........hence the embargo on asking about him

Was he named on your husband's birth cert?

What surname was Kathleen using when her death was registered?

Catherine

Catherine Report 21 Jan 2014 14:17

You could also check his marriage certificate to see if a father's name and occupation are given.

I could only see one birth Cooper/Mullen and that was in 1948, Halifax??

Catherine

Catherine Report 21 Jan 2014 14:36

May be relevant?

Ireland, Civil Registration Births Index, 1864-1958 about Kathleen Mullan
Name: Kathleen Mullan
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1912
Registration District: Omagh
Birth Country: Ireland
Volume: 2
Page: 238
FHL Film Number: 101074

Her death:-

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007 about Kathleen Cooper
Name: Kathleen Cooper
Birth Date: 15 Apr 1912
Date of Registration: Dec 1980
Age at Death: 68
Registration District: Westminster
Inferred County: London
Volume: 15
Page: 1921

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Jan 2014 16:53

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1336515

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 21 Jan 2014 17:21

what I mentioned in the other thread

Margaret's husband

Births Jun 1943
Cooper Lionel MULLIN Surrey S.W. 2a 986

I also mentioned the possible births for Kathleen including the one posted above (Margaret has her in her tree as born 1915, not as stated in this thread) and the Westminster death is indeed a good match and also matches with the Pimlico location given for Kathleen's sister Annie Harris in the 1980s

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 21 Jan 2014 17:34

this is the death that most closely matches the info given (knowing now that Margaret's husband was Lionel 1943)

Name: Stanley R Cooper
Birth Date: abt 1914
Date of Registration: Sep 1947
Age at Death: 33
Registration District: Colchester
Inferred County: Essex
Volume: 4a
Page: 403

and that could match a birth posted above

3 1914 COOPER STANLEY ROBERTS M ST CLEMENT DUNDEE CITY/ANGUS

4 1914 COOPER STANLEY RUSSELL M CATHCART (LANARK) GLASGOW CITY/LANARK

(Roberts/Russell are the mothers' surnames though? but not uncommon for a Scot to include mother's surname in name ... my ancestor did it when he married in Scotland even though he was English and his mother's surname was not part of his own name)

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 21 Jan 2014 17:46

it was wartime ... could Kathleen have been already married ?

for instance

Marriages Jun 1941
Cairns Arthur Mullen Westminster 1a 1051
MULLEN Kathleen Cairns Westminster 1a 1051

assuming that Kathleen Mullen in that marriage had not been previously married, there are no Cairns-Mullen births to the marriage

Margaret

Margaret Report 21 Jan 2014 21:29

You are all so brilliant!

Thank You!

variations on her name obviously cause problems, will check out suggested records

Potty

Potty Report 22 Jan 2014 11:38

The following is some extra info that Maggie has PMd me - I have omitted the children's names as they may still be living:

My husband (Lionel Cooper's dob was 9/4/43 born in Ruislip Middx, I was told. because of war mum-in-law was moved out of London for the birth. He only had short version of birth cert but know mother's maiden name was Mullen she was born 1915 and died 1982 in St Thomas's hospital, London..
There were 4 children, female Cooper born Dec 1936, female Cooper born July1938, Male Cooper born 1941 then Lionel April 1943.
I am sure there are 'skeletons in the cupboard' which were regarded as taboo in the past. However no one will talk to me about it even in these times, which is sad really.
I really do appreciate any help or advice you can give to a novice such as me.

The girl b1936 had the middle name Bates ; I cannot find a birth for her with Cooper as surname but I can find a birth for the boy born 1941 with the MMN Bates (nothing for Mullin).

I have PMd Maggie to ask if these children are still living so that I can post the names. I have also suggested that she get Lionel's full birth cert to see what other surnames his mother may have had.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 22 Jan 2014 15:34

there is no death post-1969 (when middle names started to be recorded in the index) for a woman with middle name Bates born 1936, just for info

surname as middle name often reflects the father's surname, usually where the mother is not married, but could be where she is married and therefore having to register the child in her husband's surname

the 1941 birth, Cooper with mother Bates ... suggests the opposite, that she was not married to Cooper, but to Bates, and used Bates as her birth surname to avoid acknowledging that she was married ........... hm!

I can't find a female birth 1935-37 with middle initial B and mother's surname Mull*n.

I don't suppose the child might have been born 1935 in Warwickshire, named for her mother, and the mother was calling herself Mulligan ?! Registered first under mother's name and later under father's name apparently ...

Potty

Potty Report 23 Jan 2014 11:48

No, JoonieCloonie, I cannot find the 1936 birth. With Stanley having been born in Scotland and Kathleen in Ireland, the birth could have taken place in either of those. Nothing coming up on scotlandspeople and I cannot find BMD records for that time for NI.

Margaret has PMd me that the siblings are all still living and that she is sending for Lionel's full birth cert.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 23 Jan 2014 18:45

ah true, both the marriage and the 1936 birth (the first child) are not found and so were likely elsewhere than England, and NI is the logical assumption

Potty

Potty Report 4 Feb 2014 11:36

PM from Margaret:

Hi, I have received copy of my husbands birth certificate, details follow:
Where & when born - 9/4/43 RIPLEY COURT, RIPLEY RD
Name - LIONEL
Name & surname of father - JAMES STANLEY COOPER
Name, surname and maiden name of mother - KATHLEEN COOPER formerly MULLIN
Occupation of father - LANDSCAPE GARDENER of 8M PEABODY AVE,SW1
Informant - K COOPER, MOTHER of 8M PEABODY AVE SW1

The only record I can find of James Stanley Cooper was according to electoral records they were together in 1947 at 4W Peabody Blgs, SW1 and Kathleen was recorded at this address until she moved to 8B Peabody Blgs in 1960's. This was where I first met the family in 1964.

Does this help at all?

Maggie

Potty

Potty Report 4 Feb 2014 12:36

Not finding a birth on scotlandspeople for a James Stanley Cooper.