Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Swinton Industrial School

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 8 May 2014 10:34

I have been given to understand that the Swinton Industrial School - along with others in the Manchester, Lancs area, are on Find My Past. If this information is correct, would someone with a subscription be so kind as to look for any details of George Brindley b. 1875 Chorlton, Lancs - parents Thomas Brindley and Mary Ann. If my information is incorrect please accept my apologies. I would just love to know why/how George ended up there. Many thanks. PS His name is actually George Henry Brindley

Dea

Dea Report 8 May 2014 10:45

He is certainly there in 1881 though there is no further information. on census page.

Dea x

Margaret

Margaret Report 8 May 2014 10:53

Yes Dea - this is the sighting I have of him - I was hoping I would be able to find out why he was there - was he an orphan, was he ill or a delinquent !!!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 May 2014 10:55

Have you found his parents on the same census? When and where was his father Thomas born?

Apparently (according to a post on another genealogy site some time ago) the records for Swinton Industrial School are at Lancashire County Records Office.

Kath. x

Margaret

Margaret Report 8 May 2014 11:03

That's the problem of why I wonder why George was at Swinton. The only info re his parentage is his christening/baptism where his parents are named as Thomas Brindley and Mary Ann. I didn't notice them with George but then again if it was a 'school' I imagine it was only for children. I'll check back on the 1881 census and see. I hope the poor little 6 year old wasn't an orphan and in that institution all on his own (no idea of any siblings). I had noted that these records are at Lancashire RO but cannot get there. It was only when I found out that supposedly they are on Find My Past that I began thinking about it again.

Dea

Dea Report 8 May 2014 11:10

Kath is correct, the records are at Lancashire Archives:

http://new.lancashire.gov.uk/libraries-and-archives/archives-and-record-office.aspx

The Industrial School was set up for Pauper children so it is likely he may have been orphaned - Have you looked for deaths of his parents?

Do you know if he had any brothers or sisters?

Dea x

Margaret

Margaret Report 8 May 2014 11:25

Yes Dea I had discovered that the records are at Lancashire RO and funnily enough I have just found an article which says Swinton Industrial School was set up in 1843 for 'pauper' children and by the 1881 census had 799 children between the ages of 5 - 15. with 30 staff. Poor George was one of the youngest. I have had a brief search for the deaths of his parents but it is no an uncommon name and I have no idea if they were still in the same area so am not sure where to look. As the admittance at Swinton was 5 - 15 I am now wondering if George was the oldest child and that there could be younger ones at home with parents. I will try that angle on 1881 census. Thanks for trying. I have also just been on Manchester City Council site and it says on there that these records are available on Find my Past so I was hoping that maybe a genes member had a subs.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 May 2014 11:31

I have a subscription to Findmypast and to be honest I haven't a clue as to the full extent of the records they hold. Since their recent change to the website I don't find it easy to use the site any more.

However I have just found the records for Swinton Industrial School on there but putting George Brindley's name into the search box it comes up with no results - even though I had earlier found him in the 1881 census at the school.

Sorry.

Kath. x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 May 2014 11:31

How did you work back to him?

Margaret

Margaret Report 8 May 2014 11:51

Hi Reggie - purely and simply by discovering that George Brindley b. 1875 Chorlton, Lancs was the father of Harold Francis Brindley. It was at that point I started to go back looking for George and the earliest census was the 1881 where I knew he should appear. That is when I discovered him at Swinton. I discovered his parents as being Thomas and Mary Ann via his christening/baptism record. Thanks for your interest.

Margaret

Margaret Report 8 May 2014 11:53

Thank you Kathleen for trying. What a mystery - no record of him yet appearing on the census. Not to worry. Although it is poouring with rain here I must now go to the shops so must leave this for now. Thanks again.

Dea

Dea Report 8 May 2014 11:54

Hi Kath - I have FMP too but I could not find a way to get to the Industrial Schhol records - How did you find them ?

The site is quite useless now! I hadn't liked Ancestry when they changed that and had half decided not to renew my sub but now they have made FMP even worse so it looks like I will be keeping Ancestry but not FMP ! - Neither of them are as good as they were! :-(

Margaret - if you don't have them on a census, how do you know that those are the parents of George please?

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 8 May 2014 12:00

If it is any consolation the inmates of Swinton Industrial School seem to have been well cared for - you can read something about it here:

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Manchester/

About 3/4 way down the page.

You can also read a very interesting article written by Charles Dicken - 'A day in a Paupers Palace' which will give you an idea of the life there.

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 8 May 2014 12:49

Where and when did you find the christening please - what was the date and what other details were on there?

Dea x

Margaret

Margaret Report 8 May 2014 13:03

Hi Dea - if you go back onto the 1881 census where George appears and look to the side where there are other various census returns, births, baptisms etc. Look at the very bottom one and that is George's christening and that names his parents.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 8 May 2014 13:09

Manchester Industrial School Registers 1866-1912 Category Education & work

(looks like above FMP, but covers below?)

Manchester Certified Industrial School, Ardwick Green

Barnes Home, Heaton Mersey

Northenden Road School for Girls, Sale

Chris :)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 May 2014 13:11

The parents of Harold F.....IF he's the one born 1913

Marriages Mar 1900 (>99%)
Brindley George Henry Derby 7b 704
Prestbury Clara Derby 7b 704
WESTBURY Clara Derby 7b 704

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 May 2014 13:13

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription

First Name CLARA
Last Name BRINDLEY
Relationship WIFE
Condition MARRIED
Gender Female
Age 36
Year Of Birth 1875
Occupation -
Address 43 TALBOT STREET DERBY
Parish DERBY
County Derbyshire
Country ENGLAND
Where Born DERBY DERBYSHIRE
Year Of Marriage -
Years Of Marriage -
Archive Reference RG14
Piece Number 20878
Census Reference RG14PN20878 RG78PN1247A RD435 SD2 ED7 SN137
Registration District DERBY
Registration District Number 435
Sub District DERBY
Enumeration District 7
SubDistrict Number 2

Household Members
First Name Last Name Relationship Age Year Of Birth Where Born
GEORGE HENRY BRINDLEY HEAD 35 1876 MANCHESTER LANCASHIRE Image Transcription
CLARA BRINDLEY WIFE 36 1875 DERBY DERBYSHIRE Image Transcription
GEORGE HENRY BRINDLEY JUNR SON 10 1901 DERBY DERBYSHIRE Image Transcription
JOSEPH BRINDLEY SON 5 1906 DERBY DERBYSHIRE Image Transcription
ROSE MAY BRINDLEY DAUGHTER 3 1908 DERBY DERBYSHIRE Image Transcription
CLARA MATILDA BRINDLEY DAUGHTER 0 1911 DERBY DERBYSHIRE Image Transcription
FRANCIS PRESTBURY BROTHER IN LAW 24 1887 DERBY DERBYSHIRE Image Transcription
FREDERICK LLOYD COUSIN 32 1879 DERBY DERBYSHIRE Image Transcription

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 May 2014 13:18

For parental info, the most reliable source is his birth cert

Births Mar 1876 (>99%)
Brindley George Henry Chorlton 8c 897

Dea

Dea Report 8 May 2014 13:34

is George'Henry' we are looking at then that baptism is one of 3 on the same day - parents Thomas + Mary Ann.

The others are:

Rosanna b 29th Dec '73
Elizabeth b 4th July, 77.

We need to look for those other children in the 1881.

Also - Thomas was a Boiler Maker.

Dea x