Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Florence Jacques Robson

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AKayeLibrarian

AKayeLibrarian Report 11 Mar 2018 20:52

I'm looking for as much information as I can about my paternal grandmother, who left in 1948 when my dad was just a baby. I'm finding it difficult to find information about this generation anyway.

Apparently she was in the Women's auxiliary RAF but I don't know when or how long for and I don't have her service number or any other information.
I'd like to be able to find out more about her, after she left, but also any info about her or her family at all.

Here's what I know already:
Forenames: Florence Jacques
Maiden Surname: Marshall
Born in Tynemouth on 9th November 1913
Her parents names are William B. Marshall and Elizabeth Jacques.
She married Alexander R. Allen in 1938 (reg'd in q2)
She then married my grandfather Edward Robson in 1943 (reg'd in q4)
She had a baby who died before my dad who I think is Florence Robson (1945-1945)
She had my dad in Gateshead on 25th March 1948.
She left later that year but did stay in the North East for a while. I found a newspaper article which puts her in North Shields in 1953, staying with a friend.
My dad was told she went to the Lowestoft area eventually. I think it is likely that she is the Florence Robson that I found in the death registers who died in Great Yarmouth in 1997.

Can anyone help me with this one? This generation is so difficult to find any information on.

Here's hoping

safc

safc Report 11 Mar 2018 21:05

England & Wales deaths 1837-2007 Transcription
Print transcription Add to tree
First name(s) FLORENCE JACQUESS
Last name ROBSON
Gender Female
Birth day 9
Birth month 11
Birth year 1913
Age -
Death quarter 2
Death year 1997
District Great Yarmouth
District number 6361B
Register number B60B
Entry number 244
Date of registration mm/yy 0497
County Norfolk
Country England
Record set England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Civil Deaths & Burials
Collections from Great Britain, England

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Mar 2018 21:40

They didn't pick up her second marriage.

Allen Household (2 People)
54 David Street , Wallsend M.B., Northumberland, England
Start free family tree View original image Print
FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB OCCUPATION
Alexander R Allen 17 Dec 1911 General Labourer
Florence J Allan 09 Nov 1913 Unpaid Domestic Duties
Ref: RG101/2998G/010/12 Letter Code:
© Findmypast Lt

AKayeLibrarian

AKayeLibrarian Report 11 Mar 2018 21:48

Thanks both! I had seen the death index entry but not the second one. Was that from the 1939 register Shirley I'm getting the hang of it?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Mar 2018 21:52

Parents' marriage:

William B Marshall
in the England & Wales, Civil Registration Marriage Index, 1837-1915
Name: William B Marshall
Spouse Surname: Jacks
Registration Year: 1912
Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration district: Tynemouth
Inferred County: Northumberland
Volume: 10b
Page: 480
Records on Page:
Name
Elizabeth Jacks
William B Marshall

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Mar 2018 21:59

A sister ?

MARSHALL, ELIZABETH JANE JACQUES mms JACQUES
GRO Reference: 1916 M Quarter in TYNEMOUTH Volume 10B Page 565

malyon

malyon Report 11 Mar 2018 22:01

could Florence have married again to a man with the same name
Marriages Dec 1949 (>99%)

Robson
Florence J
Robson
S.Shields
1a

Robson
William
Robson
S.Shields
1a

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Mar 2018 22:11

Yes sorry it didn't copy and paste over

It's the 1939 register record that I posted

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Mar 2018 22:15

From your opening post it sounds as if you don't know about her ancestors.

If you buy a copy of her parents' marriage, it will tell you their parents' names, which will help to trace William and Elizabeth in the 1911 census.
Also William and Elizabeth's ages at marriage.

AKayeLibrarian

AKayeLibrarian Report 11 Mar 2018 22:29

Malyon - possibly. Is that marriage from 1949? And are the two 1917s dates of birth?

Argyll Gran - I'll look into that potential sister. Thanks! I've just ordered the marriage certificate.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated as I'm new to this.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Mar 2018 22:35

The marriage Malyon posted was in 1949 - yes.

1917 is part of the ref number - volume 1a, page 1917.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Mar 2018 22:57

If you purchase the DC, you can investigate the name of the informant if they’re a relative.

Unless her normal residence was a Care Home, you could access the historical ER to see if she was living with another person. A good place to start to look for those is the closest library to the address with a local studies section. If they don’t hold them, they could tell you who does.

In case you’re unaware, BM&D certs can be purchased for £9.25 from https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

AKayeLibrarian

AKayeLibrarian Report 11 Mar 2018 23:33

Thanks DetEcTive!

AKayeLibrarian

AKayeLibrarian Report 12 Mar 2018 11:56

DetEcTive. I can't seem to order the death certificate if I don't have the date of death. I only know the year and quarter from the index. If you have a GRO ref this may be different, but you can only search for a GRO reference up to deaths registered in the 1950s, it seems? Am I missing something or is that right? This generation is tricky to research!

Dea

Dea Report 12 Mar 2018 12:04

All the reference numbers you need are on here:

Name: Florence Jacquess Robson
Death Age: 83
Birth Date: 9 Nov 1913
Registration Date: Apr 1997
Registration district: Great Yarmouth
Inferred County: Norfolk
Register Number: B60B
District and Subdistrict: 6361B

Dea x

AKayeLibrarian

AKayeLibrarian Report 12 Mar 2018 12:12

Ignore me. I've just read the FAqs and it says to put 01/01 then the year and it will accept that.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 12 Mar 2018 12:30

EDIT:

Ignore below - I see you've solved the problem!

It's an unusual form of reference number - usually Volume and Page.
I imagine 6361B goes where the order form asks for "District Name and Number", and B60B where is asks for "Entry Number."

If that doesn't work, the District Book ,findable by clicking on the link on this page:
https://tinyurl.com/y83jcjqw
says Great Yarmouth's District Number from 1997-2001 was 636.

"The format of the index reference number has changed over the years and examples can be found at Q5 below. A GRO index reference number typically comprises of a year, a quarter and the reference number that is shown in the indexes - for example 'March 1954 2a 222'. The district name is also given a number and is shown as a “volume number”. Over time, the districts have changed and in some instances have become abolished; for help in finding a district number/volume number you may find The District Book of benefit during your research. This will assist in obtaining the volume number from 1837 to 2001 or the relevant district if the previous one has been abolished."

If still having trouble, email the GRO at:

[email protected]

https://tinyurl.com/y83jcjqw

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Mar 2018 13:06

"you can only search for a GRO reference up to deaths registered in the 1950s, it seems?"

The online indexes, or their transcriptions, are available to 2006 on subscription sites.
Its true that they don't show the date of death, only the month it was registered.
In this instance, Florence could have died in the March, or even earlier if there was something about her death that needed investigation.

Anyway - you've worked out how to order the certificate now :-)

AKayeLibrarian

AKayeLibrarian Report 12 Mar 2018 13:14

Thank you so much. All this extra information is so useful as I'm really getting into researching my family so this info will no doubt come in handy as I go on.

I've also posted on the military board in case anyone has any tips about researching women in the RAF. Whether there's even much information around about them...

Dea

Dea Report 12 Mar 2018 13:31

You could try the National Archives :

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/womens-royal-air-force-personnel/

This is just some of the info it lists on that page:

What records can I find in other archives and organisations?
Service records (1939-present)

The Women’s Royal Air Force was disbanded in 1920 and then reformed in 1939 as the Women’s Auxiliary Air Force. It reverted to its original name in 1949, and finally merged with the Royal Air Force in 1994.

Visit the GOV.UK website for information about how to request a summary of a service record from the Ministry of Defence. These are not available to members of the general public, but next of kin may request access to them.
What other resources will help me find information?
Websites

Read the Royal Air Force museums’s history on the Women’s Royal Air Force for information on the service.

Dea x