Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

James Wilkinson and Emma mitchell

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley

Shirley Report 3 Jul 2019 06:50

Trying to find the above couple before or after 1901.
They had a son together in 1901 in Nelson Lancashire near Burnley in 1901. James Wilkinson was a master draper. Son Edward was born in December 1901. Unable to find them on the census or find a definate marriage. I found a possibility in Skipton in 1895 but not sure if that is them. Can anyone find them on the 1901 before they had Edward. Or even afterwards on the 1911.
Thanks
Shirley

Shirley

Shirley Report 3 Jul 2019 06:52

:-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Jul 2019 06:56

Have you found them on any census or the 1939 register

What years of birth are they

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Jul 2019 07:05

A tree on ancestry has this

Emma Mitchell
Registration Year: 1895
Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration district: Skipton
Parishes for this Registration District: View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County: Yorkshire West Riding
Volume: 9a
Page: 59
Records on Page:
Name
Emma Mitchell
James Wilkinson

Then marriage 1905 to Frederick George Adams
Both widowed

Name: Katherine Emma Wilkinson
Registration Year: 1905
Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration district: Cuckfield
Parishes for this Registration District: View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County: Sussex
Volume: 2b
Page: 373

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Jul 2019 07:10

They have her name as Catherine Emma Mitchell

Catherine Adams
Age in 1911: 34
Estimated birth year: abt 1877
Relation to Head: Wife
Birth Place: Worcestershire
Civil Parish: Wivelsfield
Search Photos: Search for 'Wivelsfield' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
County/Island: Sussex
Street address: Griggs Cottage Lances Common Wivelsfield
Marital status: Married
Years Married: 3
Estimated Marriage Year: 1908
Registration district: Lewes
Registration District Number: 77
Sub-registration district: Chailey
ED, institution, or vessel: 14
Household schedule number: 27
Piece: 5051
Household Members:
Name Age
Frederick Adams 43
Catherine Adams 34
Kathleen Adams 13
Gladys Adams 12
Freda Adams 9
Edward Adams 9
Frances Adams 4
Phylis Adams 3
George Adams 9/12
Married 5 years 3 children born

Daughter
Name: Mother's Maiden Surname:
ADAMS, FRANCES MITCHELL
GRO Reference: 1906 D Quarter in CUCKFIELD Volume 02B Page 143

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Jul 2019 07:25

You would need to know James Wilkinson’s info from the marriage cert to try and identify him

Shirley

Shirley Report 3 Jul 2019 07:36

Oh well done. I knew she had married a Frederick Adams but struggled as was looking for an Emma. That explains it. Brilliant thankyou. I did find an Emma Mitchell born in Worcester, well a tree on here had her born in Worcester but wasn't certain. Great searching.

Shirley

Shirley Report 3 Jul 2019 07:57

Thankyou. Yes will tell them to get certificate now it seems like it's the correct James and Emma. They didn't think it was them because they had heard they were originally mot from the North of England but I'd said that as Skipton is close to Nelson it was a possibility. Thanks again.
Rrgards
Shirley

Shirley

Shirley Report 3 Jul 2019 08:22

Are you able to find James and Emma or Katherine Emma on the 1901 census at all? They are presumably between Skipton and Nelson in Lancashire as if they married in Skipton in 1895 and had a child in Nelson in 1901 then they were on the birder of Skipton and Nelson perhaps on the 1901 census. From Emma's date if birth and place if birth is it possible to find them on that census?

Shirley

Shirley Report 3 Jul 2019 09:23

I wonder if James Wilkinson died in suspicious or sad circumstances. I found a James Wilkinson died aged 44 in Bacup cemetery buried in un consecrated ground from the parish of Colne aged 44 so wondered if this coukd be him. There were severe financial problems so wondered if he either went abroad or committed suicide. Can't find anything as yet in newspapers. But he didn't vanish shortly after Edwards birth under a cloud. It's a mystery

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Jul 2019 10:14

They aren’t showning in the 1901 census

Did wonder as they married in1895 they may have had more children before Edward but not pin pointing any possible on the gro site as the surnames aren’t uncommon

She only seems to bought Edward into the marriage though according to the 1911 census.

Not to say though there may been others that didn’t survive

Dea

Dea Report 3 Jul 2019 15:00

This is the one you mentioned above as being buried in Bacup Cemetery:

Burial: 30 Jan 1902 Cemetery, Bacup, Lancs.
James Wilkinson -
Abode: 18 Wood St ***
Grave: 276
Folio: 244
Parish or District: Colne
Class: 2nd
Section: C
Registrar: H. Mitchell
Buried by: E. Milnes
Register: Burials Unconsecrated Ground 1882 - 1903, Entry 2676
Source: Original Register

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census
18, Wood Street ***, Colne, Burnley, Lancashire, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
James Wilkinson Head Married Male 45 1856 - Thorney, Cambridgeshire, England
Mary E Wilkinson Wife Married Female 46 1855 Cotton Card Room Hand Bacup, Lancashire, England
Emily Wilkinson Daughter Single Female 19 1882 Cotton Winder Bacup, Lancashire, England

He doesn't appear to be 'your's' !!

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 3 Jul 2019 16:27

Do you have Edward's birth cert? - I was wondering what address he was born at?

Does the address of 'Padiham Rd' have any connection that you know of?

Could I also ask how you know that James was a Master Draper? - Do you have any other info on him please?

Dea x

Shirley

Shirley Report 4 Jul 2019 00:59

Yes got Edwards birth certificate. It says born in Nelson in Vernon Street. I've found them on the Barratts directory and his business was on Nelson or in Nelson Market Hall. On birth certificate it says master draper. He was a drapers assistant on his wedding certificate when he married Emma or Katherine Emma. It says he was 33 and she was 22. In 1895. That woukd make her born in 1873. I think perhaps she was born in 1877 and was only 18 when she married. Her dad's name was William Mitchell and he was a farmer. James dad was also named as James Wilkinson deceased and he was an Inn keeper. So maybe the Inn was on Padiham Road in Burnley. I say this as I used to live on Padiham Road myself and did work in one of the many numerous pubs on thst Road.
Why do you ask dea? Is it something you have found. Burnley is only next town along from Nelson where they were in 1901. I find it odd that they married in Skipton, lived in Nelson, she moved to Sussex, after being born in Worcester. And then Edward their son moved back to Nelson where he was born and got married there.

Shirley

Shirley Report 4 Jul 2019 08:16

Hi again
Someone said they had found maybe them on the 1901 in Solihull. Yardley. James Wilkinson being 42 and Emma or Katherine Emma being 27. Can anyone find this census entry?
I know she is supposed to be born in 1877 but I think perhaps she is pretending to be four years older when with James. On her wedding to James in Skipton she is 22 she says, that's in 1895.
Can anyone find a birth in Worcester for Katherine Emma, Catherine Emma or even just Emma Mitchell in 1877, 1873 with father William Mitchell a farmer?
Thanks
Shirley

Dea

Dea Report 4 Jul 2019 08:29

Was there any street number for the Vernon St address please?

Who were the witnesses on that marriage cert?

The Padiham address came from a little newspaper snippet I found relating to the sale of "STOCK-IN-TRADE of Draper and Milliner Business" at 141 Padiham Rd
owing to the 'death of the proprietor'. - This was in the 04 March 1905 issue of the Burnley Gazette and I thought it might help us trace your James' death if it had been 'his' business stock up for sale. - Probably no connection here though but everything is worth following until discounted !

Dea x

Shirley

Shirley Report 4 Jul 2019 08:45

16 Vernon Street. Nelson. Padiham Road HD many many shops as well as pubs. Especially on the same side as the pubs eg Union pub, Derby Arms, barracks tavern etc. Vernon Street is in Nelson. His business was in Nelson Market Hall. I'd say Nelson and Burnley are about 20 miles or less apart. Next towns to each other

Shirley

Shirley Report 4 Jul 2019 08:49

Not unlikely that he woukd maybe move to Burnley to do business if he was doing well. Emma or Katherine Emma remarried in 1905 to Frederick George. She married in Sussex I think so she did a quick move and married if he died in 1905. Her family were possibly in Worcester maybe so why she went to Sussex goodness only knows. Worth a try though

Shirley

Shirley Report 4 Jul 2019 08:59

Is there anyone out there able to post details of the James Wilkinson born 1859 in Worcester and Emma Wilkinson born 1874 in Solihull Worcester pkease on the 1901 census in Solihull to see if these two are the correct pair? As she wS definately born in Worcester and it seems that when she is with James she is known as Emma then it may be them.
Thanks

Choccy

Choccy Report 4 Jul 2019 09:04

?

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census

14, Warwick Road, Sparkhill, Yardley (Worcs), Solihull, Worcestershire, England

James Wilkinson Head Married Male 42 1859 Hosier Willington, Durham, England
Emma Wilkinson Wife Married Female 27 1874 - Powick, Worcestershire, England
Frank Wilkinson Visitor Married Male 41 1860 Hosier Wellington, Durham, England