Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I love 'helping'

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gee

Gee Report 15 Jun 2013 19:54

................but

Is there ever a time when a member can post too prolifically?

I try to keep my OP's, 'down'

Sorry everyone, I don't mean to take over 'page one' on any board

What does everyone else think?

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 Jun 2013 20:05

I think if you have something to say you should say it ;-)

It doesn't matter if you post a little or a lot, just that you post with 'good intent' generally , whether that's to help others with their research or on General to add something you think might be of interest others or to just chat. :-D

Gee

Gee Report 15 Jun 2013 20:11

Thanks Rose

I have wondered...........if sometimes, others think those who post OP are a 'know it all'

I don't 'know it all'

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jun 2013 20:53

Gins .....

I agree ................. there are some prolific OPs that I ignore most of the time.

They either come across as "know-it-alls", or posting for the sake of posting.

I shrug, and move on

Others definitely have something to say, as RR says, and as such, can demand (or deserve) more attention

Gee

Gee Report 15 Jun 2013 21:01

Hey....no one can 'demand'! I understand the 'context' though ;-)

Anyhow, just me 'internalising'

Ignore me

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 15 Jun 2013 21:16

Gins just post as often as you feel like. The more varied posts on the boards the better. Keeps folks interested.

A weired concept that anybody can post too prolifically..........know-it-alls is another odd remark. Bit scarey that anybody could have thoughts like that about anybody they don't actually know.

I could write a book - I've lived a very extraordinary life all over the world.

Some people are interested in what one says others not. There is no point sitting on the fence worrying about what people think.

Gins keep writing...we are at your side in anticipation........... don't let the bed bugs bite<3 <3

Gee

Gee Report 15 Jun 2013 21:24

..........know-it-alls is another odd remark.

How so?

I don't want to take over the front page of a board....I could talk for Ire/Eng/US!!!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jun 2013 22:22

believe you me .................

she can ..................

you should hear her sometimes :-D :-D

I've come across lots of know-it-alls in my life, living as I have across the world ............

........... I don't consider it an "odd term"

some really do know a lot (but not "all")

others seem to think they know it all, but know nothing when one really gets down to it :-D

edited once to correct an error, 22:23

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jun 2013 22:33

NanaSue .................

I really don't think Gins needs any encouragement to post or start threads ................

she's a very prolific helper on GR, has been for at least 6 years

Just look at the number of her posts for proof of that.

Please don't encourage her any more :-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 Jun 2013 22:33

yes indeedy. One learned gentleman of my past acquaintance who came closest to 'knowing it all' , a really towering intellect imo, was the first to say he was learning all the time, and never wanted that to stop.

You can always spot a 'know it all' anyway, they never listen to anyone...and if by chance they do listen they don't actually 'hear'. :-D

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jun 2013 22:37

Spot on, RR

GenealogyResearchAssistance

GenealogyResearchAssistance Report 15 Jun 2013 22:49

I think its a shame that the boards are not as busy as they once where. Remember the days when posts where off the first page within an hour. I don't think they have ever recovered from when this board was renamed from Genealogy Tips, which in my opinion was a far better name.

I don't understand the need to post for the sake of it or to try and fill a board to make it look busy with inane posts however I do enjoy helping others.

However I recognise that we all find different things interesting. If I had a like button I would of liked Rambling Roses post earlier with the link to the article about the adopted person's experience of having two dads and Martyn's link to the Irish Wills and Probate on family search coming online on 7 June.

Also on the same vein, what I find inane others may find to be the most interesting thing they have ever posted. ;-)

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 15 Jun 2013 23:12

SylviaInCanada wow sounds like an order from across the seas......lol :-D :-D

I can encourage anybody I like - we are all equal on the boards - being nice is the key component of life.

RR & TootyFruity tushay.

If somebody doesn't accept to be told off like a child then one has to live and let live.
<3 <3

jax

jax Report 15 Jun 2013 23:17

I have had a look to see how many threads I have started since 2010....30....There were probably a few more that got deleted just incase some relatives found them and tried to contact me :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 Jun 2013 23:22

TootyFruity, Martyn's link was very useful I think I have found my gt gt grandfathers probate there, can't be 100% as there were a lot of Keatings but the age matches well and occupation.

Each to their own of course, I am sure many of the things that interest me leave others cold :-)

Persephone

Persephone Report 15 Jun 2013 23:27

I have started eight threads and I joined in 2004.

I am very reticent ....... well most of the time.

Persie

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 Jun 2013 23:28

Jax I have 98 pages of threads I have started lol. The first was back in October 2006, and it was a query about someone on the 1901, Reggie helped me with some good advice and oddly enough 7 years later I have just found out some info pertaining to the query lol.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jun 2013 23:29

NanaSue

I most certainly was NOT issuing an order, from oversea, or from outer space!

In fact, I am most offended that you should think so!

I was making a joke, about not encouraging Gins any more

We are all, in fact, encouraging Gins by posting on "her" thread, because we have all found something of interest to say!

I can't help it, if your sense of humour is different from mine.

I was intending to be nice.

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 15 Jun 2013 23:36

SylviaInCanada omg you really make me laugh <3 <3

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jun 2013 23:36

I have 9 pages of threads that I have started since 2004 .......

................ that's almost 180 threads :-D