Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 Register

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sally

Sally Report 28 Nov 2015 17:04

Hi,

Can someone tell me if I am going mad !!!!!!

I have an Auntie who died in 1980, so she should be available to view on the 1939 Register, but no, even though the listings are meant to be updated until 1991.

I have sent an email to FMP and they have sent me a message back, but they say I have to do a search for the name I want, how can i if she is not listed?

I will have a look again, but any ideas???????
Regards
Sally

UPDATE:- Jan 10th 2020

I have looked recently on Find my Past and have found a Joyce V BAVERSTOCK,
Born 20th Dec 1919. Maybe as she just turned 100 she is now available to view. This is her correct birth date.
Only odd thing she is listed once in Paddington area and once in Marylebone area.
Any idea anyone???
Thanks Sally

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Nov 2015 17:29

Did she die overseas or could she have been in the forces in 1939?

Mangled transcription? Not where expected to be? A number of mothers & children had already been evacuated.

Apparently when the transcriptions were made, the transcribers were given columns rather than lines. This was ensure confidentiality. Some researchers have said that the columns 'slipped' when they were matched up again.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Nov 2015 17:31

I think it depends when she was born they have open for those born before 1915 as there was a 100 year surety given at the time it was taken,

have you looked for any of her family

Sally

Sally Report 28 Nov 2015 17:34

Hi both,

No, she died in Yorkshire in 1980, and was born in Cardiff in 1919.

Sally x

Sally

Sally Report 28 Nov 2015 20:32

Shirley,
I have started looking for other family members.
I have found my Grandfather, father to my Auntie, but he is remarried to my Grandmother, his first wife died.
Am looking into my Aunties Mum's family.
Thanks
Sally
:-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Nov 2015 20:38

as she was born after 1915 it may be thats why her record is closed . they may not be aware she has passed away .

Although it was thought the records were updated to 1991 there's no confirmation of that and it seems they were only updated. to c1952 when the NHS was being set up and they used the 1939 as a ref

Kense

Kense Report 28 Nov 2015 21:44

The 100 year rule is to do with an interpretation of the Data Protection Act. There was no 100 year surety given at the time of registration.

The records must have been updated much later than 1952 because of the married names that are given for my relatives who married after 1952.

Kense

Kense Report 28 Nov 2015 21:51

Some people did not register at the proper time. They are not included in the 1939 register even though they may have registered shortly after.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Nov 2015 04:58

My brother and uncle died in 1990 and 1991 ...... and their names are open to view

so the records have been updated to at least 1991.

BUT there obviously is not 100% opening of records, and nor is there 100% closing of records that should be closed.

Sally

Sally Report 8 Feb 2016 21:45

Many thanks to you all for your views and info.

I thought as my half Auntie died in 1980 all I would need to do was put her name and I would have her info !!!!!!!!!!! but no, and i can't find her husband to be either.
I sent a request to open a closed record, they were very fast in looking for me, but not the correct address.

The trouble is when you have no idea where she was, Cardiff I would think, but she married in Eastbourne in 1945 so I will just have to keep searching.

Does anyone know if a record would open as soon as a person is over 100 ?

Thanks again
Sallyx

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Feb 2016 23:10

From a practical point of view, probably not. One would hope that the records would be regularly updated in 'batches' but there's nothing to say they will.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 9 Feb 2016 17:16

What was your Aunt's name? Do you know her exact DOB?
Perhaps she is mistranscibed- I have two relatives that I only found through their DOB as their surnames were so badly transcribed.

Sally

Sally Report 9 Feb 2016 21:47

Hi,

Yes I have seen some cracking spellings !!!!!!!!!!!

My Auntie was born Joyce Violet BAVERSTOCK, 20th Dec 1919 in Cardiff.
She was married........new name HOLDEN, when her husband died she remarried ..... new name MATHER.

Any help would be amazing.

Regards
Sally

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 10 Feb 2016 08:30

Sorry- I've looked too and don't see her. I've tried every search combination I can think of.

I wonder if her entry is still closed. Her death records no middle initial V:

Name: Joyce Mather
Birth Date: 20 Dec 1919
Date of Registration: Sep 1980
Age at Death: 60
Registration district: Rotherham
Inferred County: South Yorkshire
Volume: 3 Page: 0742

Sally

Sally Report 10 Feb 2016 09:14

Thanks for looking, I had tried but like you no luck.
The trouble is she could be anywhere, her Dad, my Grandad remarried and she didn't live with them.
Regards
Sally

Kense

Kense Report 10 Feb 2016 15:40

There is a Robert Baverstock and Freda Bunfield with a closed record at Port Talbot.

Is that the record you tried to have opened?

Sally

Sally Report 10 Feb 2016 19:01

Hi,
No I didn't try to open that one, as it would have been my Dad.
My Grandfather married my Grandmother, and they didn't have Joyce living with them, not sure if she ever did even when she was very small.
I have spoken to someone who married into the Baverstock family, and she said the little she knew was Joyce seemed to be moved around, but where !!!!!!!
I am starting to look again at schools in Cardiff band Port Talbot.
Regards
Sally

Elaine

Elaine Report 15 Feb 2016 13:33

Hi

I have had a combination of problems in my searches. It seems to be very hit and miss.

I have members of my family who died mid 70's and not listed.

I have managed to open my dads record with his death certificate, he died 2010.

I have found that there are a great many spelling anomalies.

I found better results by entering less information in the search, and trying different spelling, rather than using the variant boxes.

I am looking forward to it being part of my subscription from 16th, as it has been costly thus far.

Hope you find what you are looking for.
Regards
Elli

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Feb 2016 01:03

My aunt and uncle are closed records ................

uncle was born in 1894, and aunt in 1897

However, they both died in Australia so there is no GRO record of their deaths.

FMP has said that they will be carrying out continuous updating by consulting GRO records, and people are in fact already reporting records open that were previously closed

Hopefully, someone at FMP will realise that people born in the 1890s are almost certainly dead .......... or one of their English grandchildren will be willing to buy the Australian death certificates to open my relatives records!

Elaine

Elaine Report 18 Feb 2016 15:48

I am surprised at how many records of people over 100 that are officially closed!

Am I correct in assuming you can't advise of individuals over 100, only individuals who have died and have supporting certificate evidence?

Many thanks