Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Beginner Please help!

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Jan 2018 16:27

Hi, I Come from a large family and have zero to go from..
iv found the record of my nannas birth.
and know the district- volume and page number and line.
used credits to view the transcript. i now have the maiden surname of my great grandmother. where do i go from here? :-S

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 21 Jan 2018 16:36

Hello.

When was your Nanna born?

Have you found her on the 1939 register? If you don't have access to the 1939 register, let us know. Lots of people can look for you.

Is she likely to be on any census upto 1911?

Look for a marriage of her parents using her surname and mother's maiden name- if there are a lot possible marriages we can often help.

You can also look for possible siblings of your Nanna using the same surname and mother's maiden name.

If you want to order the birth certificate for your Nanna- you can here:

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

A birth certificate will tell you her Mother's and father's name. They cost £9.25, although you can get a digital copy for £6.

If your Nanna married her marriage certificate will tell you her father's name and occupation. A copy of the certificate from the GRO costs £9.25 (including postage)

If you want to share her name and year of birth I'm sure we can help.

As well as the GRO site I posted above, you might also find this free site useful to search for births/ deaths/ marriages:

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Jan 2018 17:32

Hi Austin thaks for your reply my nanna was born 01/03/1924 i dont have access to any records iv
got siblings all 7 of them as well as 6 on my granddads side. unable to find any marriages between Robert Bertlett and bow that matches (bow is maiden name i got from my nanas birth records. so i guess the birth certificate is the way to go?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Jan 2018 18:02

EDIT - ignore this as I thought it was your nanna whose maiden name was Bow.

Was your nanna's name Margaret A. Bow born Warrington?

Kath. x

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 21 Jan 2018 18:05

GG- I just posted that birth for Violet M Bartlett (but deleted), but actual image gives mmn as DOW

greyghost

greyghost Report 21 Jan 2018 18:06

? 2 births Southampton RD 1928 and 1931 Bartlet - no second T

OK AQ, will also delete, but above definitely mmn Bow

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 21 Jan 2018 18:10

Leave it just in case. I'm not seeing 7 siblings though.

Jake, what is your Nanna's name?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Jan 2018 18:57

Similar name match births in Cardiff area...... ?

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 21 Jan 2018 19:00

Hello Gwyn, that's the birth we posted (Violet)- then I deleted as actual image gives mother's maiden name as DOW. I can't see 7 siblings with mmn as DOW or BOW.

Think it might be easier for Jake to confirm his Nanna's name before we continue looking

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Jan 2018 19:07

Image is sometimes wrong ( my own sister is wrongly recorded on index and image ) but I agree, we need more guidance.................

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Jan 2018 19:27

Jake. You need to give us some names if you want us to try and help :-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Jan 2018 20:01

Hey peeps sorry I didn't reply
My nana name is vilot may Oakes
Her maiden name was bartlett on the photo it dose look like Dow but the transcript on here and bdm say bow she was born in Cardiff 01/03/1924 and married a Robert Oakes inn 1943 I think it was can confirm that date once I'm home her marriage was registered in Macclesfield and as for 7 siblings it's at least here and 5 more my uncle blasted so many uncles and aunts at me I got lost however it at least 4 siblings including a twin sister think of answered all the above questions if not in will once I have access to my computer

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 21 Jan 2018 20:23

Reference...

Chris :)

Cheshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1943

OAKES Robert BARTLETT Violet 1943 Congleton, Civil Marriage or Registrar Attended Cheshire Cheshire East C/4A/24

http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/index.php

Marriages Sep 1943 (>99%)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Bartlett Violet Oakes Macclesfield 8a 445
Oakes Robert Bartlett Macclesfield 8a 445

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 21 Jan 2018 20:37

Suspect the name was Dow:

Marriages Jun 1921
Bartlett Charles Dow Cardiff 11a 650<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Dow Annie E Bartlett Cardiff 11a 650 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
TRACEY William Woods Cardiff 11a 650
Woods Alice Tracey Cardiff 11a 650

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Jan 2018 20:44

It was violets parents marriage I was trying to find my first goal was to get my great nannas name I got her surname from the birth certificate Dow or bow could be any she married a Robert bartlett assumingly in the Cardiff area

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Jan 2018 20:44

It was violets parents marriage I was trying to find my first goal was to get my great nannas name I got her surname from the birth certificate Dow or bow could be any she married a Robert bartlett assumingly in the Cardiff area

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 21 Jan 2018 20:51

Hi, Jake, I think her mother's maiden name was Dow. I've posted a possible marriage for Violets parents above (in Cardiff) of Charles Bartlett to Annie E Dow in 1921 Cardiff

Possible siblings for your Nanna are:

Births Sep 1921
Bartlett Alex C Dow Cardiff 11a 833

Births Dec 1926
Bartlett Frederick K Dow Cardiff 11a 564

Births Sep 1930
Bartlett Elizabeth M Dow Cardiff 11a 649

Births Dec 1934
Bartlett Dorothy M Dow Cardiff 11a 511
------------------------------------

I'm finishing for the night shortly, but if no-one else has replied will look further into this tomorrow.

EDIT: Chris has posted your Nanna's marriage above- 1943 Cheshire

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Jan 2018 21:28

If you click on Search ( top right of this screen ) and then click on All members trees, you can search for tree matches.

At least 3 people have Violet listed. You can contact them direct by clicking on Find out more next to their name against the match.

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Jan 2018 22:08

Alright peeps, I feel my dyslexics getting in the way here, and what im trying to say isn't making it into my post im going to break it down supper simple for my sake.

My Grandmother is Violet Bartlett
She married Robert Oakes In September 43

I found Violets birth record and her mothers name was dow or bow she was born in cardiff. and has at least 3 siblings Jane Dorothy Fred,

Jane or Dorothy was a twin.

Im currently looking for Vilots mums first name.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Jan 2018 22:22

Jake,

A good site for beginners and FREE is the freefbd site

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Searching there is best done using fewer facts rather than too many.

If you put in BARTLETT and DOW and search marriages, there is a possible marriage match in the Cardiff area. It fits with your given date for your Nanna's birth, but the only way to confirm facts is ...
Start with what you know and work back.

If your nanna's birth certificate shows her parents to be Charles BARTLETT and Annie E DOW, then Austin has suggested a possible marriage.

You will need to buy THAT certificate to research back from them. Hopefully their father's names will be shown, with occupations and they should be able to be found on 1911 census records.