Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Re......Ada May Powell

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

mouseman

mouseman Report 16 Mar 2018 19:56

Please could I ask again, with apologies, for past mistake. for a 1939 look up for Ada May Powell, Ada changed her middle name to Margaret. But birth and death certificates state names as Ada May.
Last heard of in Bradford, Yorkshire.

Kind regards'
Margaret

Rambling

Rambling Report 16 Mar 2018 20:02

Was she married at that time please and to whom if so? and date of birth if you have it please.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Mar 2018 20:07

Could this be her

Powell (Shorten) Household (2 People)
48 Cordingley Street , Bradford C.B., Yorkshire (West Riding), England
Start free family tree View original image Print
FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB OCCUPATION
Ada M Powell (Shorten) 13 Aug 1915 Butler Worsted
Frederick Howard 05 May 1906 Wool Comber
Ref: RG101/3352H/019/21 Letter Code: KBMQ
© Findmypast Ltd
Open a closed record Request a living person's record Close an open record Report an error

She was shorten who married a Powell

Marriages Dec 1942
Shorten Ada M Powell Bradford 9d 277

Rambling

Rambling Report 16 Mar 2018 20:09

From a previous thread 2011 , is this the same lady?

"thank you all - for your help. I am new at this game and got lost in finding my replies. Ada May Alderson born 1910 I have Thomas William Alderson and Sarah Jane Brankston/Brankston Marriage Certificate Dec'1909 but can't find
Ada's birth anywhere. Ada married my father Alfred Thomas Powell in Bradford 1927"

Very long thread!
https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1258077?d=asc.

Rambling

Rambling Report 16 Mar 2018 20:15

Lots of very relevant detail on other thread, necessary to know when Ada left family home.

Margaret can you say how muuch of what is on other thread has been confirmed re birth name etc,

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Mar 2018 20:16

So she should be with Alfred Thomas then or had she left him

You say you have her death cert so what is its info

Rambling

Rambling Report 16 Mar 2018 20:21

Because this is relevant to 1939 reg search

" When Ada May left my father 1938/40 we were living at 321 Kings Road-Bradford. but moved to 16 Midland Terrace-Manningham-Bradford. The home of my paternal grandparents.
Joseph Thomas and Emily Powell who died March 1949"

Rambling

Rambling Report 16 Mar 2018 20:31

for ref

16 Midland Terrace 1939

Powell Household (3 People)
16 Midland Terrace , Bradford C.B., Yorkshire (West Riding), England

Joseph T Powell 18 Jul 1874 Male Engine Driver Retired Married 239 1
Emily Powell 14 Nov 1872 Female Unpaid Domestic Married 239 2
Alfred T Powell 03 Jun 1903 Male Warehouseman Married 239 3

Rambling

Rambling Report 16 Mar 2018 20:36

From the other thread it appears ( there's 11 pages so have only skimmed) that Margaret has found that her mother had another family and died as Jones in 2002, therefore it will probably NOT be possible to find her on 1939 register until and unless the death is cross checked by FMP or someone sends in the death cert. Difficult though as the name has changed more than once officially and unofficially?

"Ada Margaret Jones. otherwise Ada May Jones. Maiden Name Alderson.
Date and Place of Birth. 17th. July. 1910 Crook Co. Durham.
Widow of John Arther Jones. Mechanical Engineer. ( Retired )
69 Claremont Court. Blackpool."

Rambling

Rambling Report 16 Mar 2018 20:40

for ref

Marriages Dec 1952 (>99%)
ALDERSON Ada M JONES Blackpool 10b 639 Scan available - click to
BARKER Ada M JONES Blackpool 10b 639 Scan available - click to
JONES John A BARKER Blackpool 10b 639
JONES John A ALDERSON Blackpool 10b 639

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Mar 2018 21:29

So had she married a mr barker too ??

Edit looks like she did

Name: Ada M Powell
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1941
Registration district: Wetherby
Inferred County: Yorkshire West Riding
Spouse: Fred Barker
Volume Number: 9a
Page Number: 387

Looks like they was a daughter born too in 1944

Detail on freeebmd Barker mmn Alderson

Double edit. See you already know this and have made contact with her family

mouseman

mouseman Report 16 Mar 2018 21:37

Thank you Nyx.

I am trying to find out the year my mother left us..and with whom .I don't remember her except for a couple of flash backs.....
I had so much help in past and still struggle with closer.. The 1939 look up for my father Alfred Thomas Powell and family Shows only Alfred Thomas Powell. And Joseph and Emily Powell ( Alfred parents ) no children. I think ? we were missing as we children were evacuated. So our parents must have separated prior to this date.I have the the Death Certificate for Ada Margaret Jones otherwise Ada May Jones.dated !st.March 2002 Victoria Hospital Blackpool. Date of Birth 17th.July.1910 Ada married my father 23rd July 1927 in Bradford.
Thank you yet again.

Margaret

Rambling

Rambling Report 16 Mar 2018 21:54

Margaret no children showing with your father and his parents on 1939 as you say. I've searched using just first name of your mother and date of birth but nothing showing.

Without me going through the other thread, do you know of any relatives of your mother who she might have gone to in 1939? siblings? Just trying to see if by any chance she does show up with them.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Mar 2018 07:41

If that is the right death cert the she could still be a closed record on the 1939 register until its updated again

Plus you and any of your siblngs who are still alive will be closed records on the 1939 reg

mouseman

mouseman Report 17 Mar 2018 19:13

Hello NYx.

I am sorry, we never knew any of our maternal relatives. in past thread we did find that my mother had a half sister and brother, born to my maternal grandmother., who married a Joseph Thurlby, in Crook, Co.Durham., But I have contact with the daughter, of such, but of course, she doesn't know anything, and her mother had died, when I contacted her.. All she could tell me was, her mother had tried to find Ada May over the years, she was aware, that we 3 children existed. but hadn't had any contact at all with our mum.
I am very grateful for your interest. I was just interested in trying to work out, what year our parents parted..I don't think ? they divorced. My father only had 1 brother, when I asked if they could help me find my mother, when my father died in 1950, our grandparents died 1949. " I was told not to go down that road "as our mother never was any good........

Thank you all for helping me, Yet again. I keep looking for closure.

Margaret x

mouseman

mouseman Report 17 Mar 2018 19:28

1911 thread. Yes that is my mother. Ada May Powell nee Alderson.

I had such a lot of help in my search for my mother, Helpers worked very hard, I learnt a lot about my mother, marriages and such, I have had contact with the grandson of Ada May, But he couldn't answer any of my questions, regarding my mother. He and his sister didn't know About us, or any former life of his grandmother ( Ada May ) He also felt quite strongly, that his mother, didn't know, anything about us.

Thank you again. I just hoped ? that I could find Ada May Powell, formerly Alderson. on the 1939 register.

Kind regards.

Margaret

Rambling

Rambling Report 17 Mar 2018 22:07

Margaret, bit of an odd question but what was Muriel's surname when she died please?

mouseman

mouseman Report 18 Mar 2018 14:14

Hello NYX.

My sister's name when she died was Hodgson Muriel died in Bradford 2008

Kind regards
Margaret

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Mar 2018 14:33

Sorry, was just wondering if Muriel's death had been cross checked against the 1939 reg entry, but seems not as yet. I asked because I'd found a Muriel of same age and wondered if mother had been in the same location whether it might be possible to find more info.

mouseman

mouseman Report 18 Mar 2018 16:34

Hello NYX

My first reaction, when I looked at my father's 1939 register, and we children were missing,,, I had hoped to find ? we were with my mother,,,,,then common sense kicked in....We were evacuated, and think this is why we were not listed.
Not a happy childhood.

Appreciate your help and thank you for trying to help me bring closer I always thought my mother would come back when our father died. But didn't happen.

Kind regards
Margaret