Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please say i'm not completly thick......

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 15 Oct 2005 22:16

I have a very confsuing situation here! So listen good! Walter Griggs' (b 1864. East Winch Norfolk) second wife was known as Elizabeth Ketteringham.(b.1859 Middleton Norfolk) Ketteringham however is not her maiden name as she was married before to an Unknown Ketteringham. In the 1891 Census, Elizabeth is marked as the head of household, Her brother Thomas (Unreadable) 'do' (b. 1876) another brother Richard (Unreadable) 'do' (b.1879) Elizabeths daughter Ellen Elizabeth 'do'. Now the confusing thing is, how can Thomas and Richard be Ketteringham's when Elizabeth was clearly married before since Ellens surname is Ketteringham. I don't know if I explained that very well, but hopefully someone else will get it. Regards, Paul.

Jeans Reunited

Jeans Reunited Report 15 Oct 2005 22:17

I'M SURE YOU ARE NOT COMPLETLY THICK BUT YOUR HEADING DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.!!!!!! LOL CLAIRE

Paul

Paul Report 15 Oct 2005 22:17

Also, do you think its a possibility that the (Unreadable) parts in Thomas' and Richards names could be double-barrelled names or something?

Jeans Reunited

Jeans Reunited Report 15 Oct 2005 22:18

hellooo perhaps she married a cousin Claire

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 15 Oct 2005 22:20

1891 Ketteringham, Elizabeth abt 1859 Middleton, Norfolk, England Head Middleton Norfolk View Record Ketteringham, Ellen Elizabeth abt 1884 Middleton, Norfolk, England Daughter Middleton Norfolk View Record Ketteringham, Richard Albert abt 1879 Middleton, Norfolk, England Brother Middleton Norfolk View Record Ketteringham, Thomas Haren abt 1873 Middleton, Norfolk, England Brother Middleton Norfolk

Jeans Reunited

Jeans Reunited Report 15 Oct 2005 22:22

do you know for sure that she was married? Claire

Jeans Reunited

Jeans Reunited Report 15 Oct 2005 22:23

thanks. You've altered THAT title lol Claire

Paul

Paul Report 15 Oct 2005 22:24

ok so the (Unreadable) parts were middle names, it's a possilbilty that she married a cousin, or maybe the father was a hump and dumpster?

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 15 Oct 2005 22:24

They're here in 1881 Thomas Ketteringham abt 1830 Middleton, Norfolk, England Head Alice Ketteringham abt 1833 Holme, Norfolk, England Wife William Ketteringham abt 1861 Middleton, Norfolk, England Son Julia Ketteringham abt 1866 Middleton, Norfolk, England Daughter Herbert Ketteringham abt 1868 Middleton, Norfolk, England Son Thomas Ketteringham abt 1875 Middleton, Norfolk, England Son Richard Ketteringham abt 1878 Middleton, Norfolk, England Son 1871 Thomas Ketteringham abt 1834 Middleton, Norfolk, England Head Holme Norfolk Alice Ketteringham abt 1835 Holme, Norfolk, England Wife Holme Norfolk >> Elizabeth Ketteringham abt 1860 Middleton, Norfolk, England Daughter Holme Norfolk William Ketteringham abt 1861 Middleton, Norfolk, England Son Holme Norfolk Julia Ketteringham abt 1866 Middleton, Norfolk, England Daughter Holme Norfolk Herbert Ketteringham abt 1868 Middleton, Norfolk, England Son Holme Norfolk Thomas H Ketteringham abt 1871 Holme, Norfolk, England Son Holme Norfolk and 1861 Thomas Kettringham abt 1832 Middleton, Norfolk, England Head Middleton Norfolk Alice Kettringham abt 1834 North Runcton, Norfolk, England Wife Middleton Norfolk >>> Elizabeth Kettringham abt 1859 Middleton, Norfolk, England Daughter Middleton Norfolk William Kettringham abt 1861 Middleton, Norfolk, England Son Middleton Norfolk

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 15 Oct 2005 22:24

Perhaps she wasnt married when she had Ellen? Does the marriage cert to Griggs (was that the name) say she was a widow? Jacqui

Paul

Paul Report 15 Oct 2005 22:25

No I dont know for sure that she was married, i just presumed she was since she had a child in a previous relationship.

Paul

Paul Report 15 Oct 2005 22:26

I don't have a marriage cerificate. I just done this through Ancestry.

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 15 Oct 2005 22:28

She is down as single in 1891! She wasn't married when she had Ellen.

The Bag

The Bag Report 15 Oct 2005 22:33

Which is more likely? Ellen being born illegitimately or The mother marrying a chap, him dying, and then marrying a chap withthe same name? - the first i would say

The Bag

The Bag Report 15 Oct 2005 22:38

1901 now i am even more confused than i was before! View Record Eliza Griggs abt 1847 West Bilney, Norfolk, England Wife Gayton Thorpe Norfolk View Record Mabel M Griggs abt 1891 Gayton Thorpe, Norfolk, England Daughter Gayton Thorpe Norfolk View Record Walter Griggs abt 1847 East Winch, Norfolk, England Head Gayton Thorpe Norfolk when did Walter Griggs marry Elizabeth Ketteringham or? what makes you think THEY were married? You say his wife 'was know as Elizabeth K' - where have you found evidence of this info?

Paul

Paul Report 15 Oct 2005 22:41

Yes, but I think the one youve got there is wrong the dates of birth dont fit.

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 15 Oct 2005 22:43

Jess - Marriages Dec 1899 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Griggs Walter Lewis Freebridge L. 4b 928 Ketteringham Elizabeth Freebridge Lynn 4b 928 Different Walter? Elizh Griggs abt 1859 Middleton, Norfolk, England Wife Middleton Norfolk Ethel Griggs abt 1894 Middleton, Norfolk, England Daughter Middleton Norfolk Frank Griggs abt 1896 Middleton, Norfolk, England Son Middleton Norfolk Harry Griggs abt 1887 Middleton, Norfolk, England Son Middleton Norfolk Laur Griggs abt 1897 Middleton, Norfolk, England Daughter Middleton Norfolk Walter L Griggs abt 1863 East Winch, Norfolk, England Head Middleton Norfolk William Griggs abt 1891 Middleton, Norfolk, England Son Middleton Norfolk I think the DOB just changed lol

Paul

Paul Report 15 Oct 2005 22:45

Yes thats the one there, but none of those children belong to Elizabeth, they belong to Walters first wife, Lucy Smith.

The Bag

The Bag Report 15 Oct 2005 22:45

Who/what/where dates dont fit?

Paul

Paul Report 15 Oct 2005 22:46

View Record Eliza Griggs abt 1847 West Bilney, Norfolk, England Wife Gayton Thorpe Norfolk View Record Mabel M Griggs abt 1891 Gayton Thorpe, Norfolk, England Daughter Gayton Thorpe Norfolk View Record Walter Griggs abt 1847 East Winch, Norfolk, England Head Gayton Thorpe Norfolk These ones don't fit.