General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

wouldn't it be nice if in 2010

Page 0 + 1 of 27

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Dec 2009 16:52

We got a lot more members posting on here, either new members, old members returning or those who just read and don't post. I like to pop in and out when I am doing things and have a chat and/or a read and it gets so frustrating when there is nobody posting so the threads are static. It is not the time of year although that doesn't help, it is how it has been for quite a while. Or am I, as I often am, talking to myself?

Julia

Julia Report 20 Dec 2009 16:57

No, Ann, you are not talking to yourself. They are my sentiments entirely. Today has not been a very busy day on here, or Chat, but I suspect that that is down to people getting ready for Christmas.
Lets hope for more contributions in the New Year.
Julia in Derbyshire

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Dec 2009 17:11

Thanks Julia, it used to be great when you couldn't keep up with the threads didn't it?

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 20 Dec 2009 17:13

I'm here Ann!!
I tend to pop in and out. I think these days, in general, the boards are more quiet/slow moving than they used to be. I know at the moment everyone's probably busy with Christmas and all that, but I remember at one time you couldn't look away for a few hours and you'd have missed pages, they moved THAT quickly!!!
You're right, it would be nice to see some new peeps join us in the new year....fresh topics and all that.

K

Julia

Julia Report 20 Dec 2009 17:19

When I used to come on at about 8.30 in a morning, about 2 1/2 years ago, I used to scroll back to when I signed off at 18.30 the night previous. There used to be 10 pages of threads to read, and that was only on General, not counting Chat. Now your lucky if there is 3 pages.
I hope we can interest some new blood after the holiday, who have interests different to ours, that we maybe can take a new interest in.
Everybody have a nice Christmas and New Year.
Julia in Derbyshire

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 20 Dec 2009 17:26

Yes,Ann,I would post more,but when the boards started getting a bit nasty,I didn't post much,and lately I have been rather busy as my OH is needing more and more done as his condition is getting worse.(pulmonary fibrosis).I tend to look in before I go to bed ,or like now when I have our meal on the go,so I do follow a lot of what is going on.
I do wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy Healthy New Year and hope to be with you a lot more then.

Brenda x

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Dec 2009 17:28

Good to see you Brenda, I am sorry about your OH's condition and do understand. maybe when you look in you could just say hello occasionally so we know you are around.

Jean (Monmouth)

Jean (Monmouth) Report 20 Dec 2009 19:39

I think that when you look down the list of threads and see nothing but a-z's and games, with no topics under dicussion, it tends to put new people off. Those of us who have been around awhile do trawl along until we find something to comment on.

jean,300171

jean,300171 Report 20 Dec 2009 19:47

No ann its not you talking to your self ! the boards used to be a plesant place to have a good laugh and a natter but not any more ,theres always some sort of hassel going on the only time i come on now days is when I need infomation and help with my reseaching .hope your well Ann ? {Jean the one who shares the same anniversary }

RoseoftheShires

RoseoftheShires Report 20 Dec 2009 19:50

Lets hope so hun it used to be a great place to "escape" heres to 2010 and the return of the boards
Love and hugs
Rachxx

Maureen

Maureen Report 20 Dec 2009 20:35

I don't post that often,but I do come here everyday and read the new messages.
Merry Christmas to you all. Maureen

trafiklitedol

trafiklitedol Report 20 Dec 2009 21:46

Hi

I do post on here sometimes but have NO interest in a-z or games.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Dec 2009 22:23

The problem is, if all the people who don't like A-zs etc put threads up on the boards about other things the A-zs would not dominate the boards.
And, if we all agreed to ignore trouble makers maybe we'd get back what we had before.

And if those that like A-zs just put up one or two instead of having loads of similar threads that too would help. Sometimes gen board is one long A-Z and it is getting mindless, quite good when they started but they must have gone 'round the clock' more than once now, surely no fun any more.

Uggers

Uggers Report 21 Dec 2009 02:14

I think the boat has sailed, Ann. I don't think this board or general will ever get back to how it used to be years ago, good or bad.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 21 Dec 2009 02:23

Ann I do agree with you, and with Uggers, believe it or not lol, (Happy Christmas Uggers) and also with Julia, when I used to come on here at night there would be around 10 pages to go through to keep up with what was happening and I would respond to any threads that I had something to respond with, and add an odd one of my own. Now I add lots just to try and make more interesting things to read, as I know a lot of people read the threads even if they dare not reply in case of being shouted down or bullied, or they have left for that reason so can only read and not reply.
There used to be such a warm and friendly atmosphere and altho it is very heartwarming lots of the time, and I do appreciate all the kind thoughts when I fell the other day, things aren't the same as they were.

Maybe we can encourage people to post again and get things better, who knows, we had better make that one of our new year wishes, resolutions even, to make sure we try and post when we can to encourage and cheer others.

Happy days everyone, Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year, a new decade for us all to try and make the world a better place.

love
Lizxxxx

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Dec 2009 04:28

Hi Ann

I've been a member of GR since 2003, and have been posting on Records, Tips and TTF for almost all that time.

I did look at General and Chat occasionally in the early days ........ but every time I looked, it seemed as if there was some sort of "battle" and/or nastiness going on. I spent a lot of time on the parent site Friends Reunited ............. and there was enough of that going on over there that I stuck purely to genealogy on here! I knew who to avoid over there, I didn't know who to avoid on here.

It is only in the last few months that I have taken to looking on here every day and evening, reading the threads (never ever the a-z and lnking ones!!)and began posting occasionally .............. but you're almost all in bed by the time I get here!

And, of course, I find that many of the threads are talking about people I know nothing about ...... it's rather like being a new kid at school, trying to pick up clues so that I don't make a fool of myself when I do open my mouth!

But you're quite right ...... it would be nice to have a pleasant place to chat.

I do fear what will happen when the new company takes over ......... I hear that it has had to go to the Competitions Board because the sale means that two of the biggest genealogy companies in the UK (findmypast and GR) will be under the same banner.

If you think the changes in February were bad, you should have seen what has happened over on FR .............. and many of those happened round about the time the sale was announced.

I'm going away for Christmas, from the 22-28 .... but be assured you will see me again!!

Merry Christmas everyone

sylvia
xxxx

Redrobin

Redrobin Report 21 Dec 2009 09:14

Good Morning All,
I read your messages everyday but have not felt as if I belonged and was very wary about adding any comments. However, having read that you would like more of us to add to the conversations, I thought I would give it a go. So let me introduce myself first.
My name is Sylvia, I have added the G as there are a few of us with the same name etc.
I am retired, ( single now) and used to work for the railways. I have 4 children, 2 boys , 2 girls, the oldest will be 46 in January and the youngest is 30. I have 6 grand children.
Both parents deceased, have 2 sisters ( 1 living 1 deceased ).
Have worked very hard on my family tree and am very grateful for all the help I have received from you wonderful people.

Today is the annual Mince pie making day.
We grand daughter Ella (9) and I make them every year .
We have orders from the family and from my friends at work. It has become a bit of a tradition, the date set in the diary is always the first available after school has finished for the christmas holidays.
This year its 156 pies.
Ovens are on and we are just about to get started.
Have a nice day everyone and stay warm, ( we will be ).

Regards Sylvia.

Julia

Julia Report 21 Dec 2009 09:25

Good Morning Sylvia G, and welcome. I am doing the usual Monday morning laundry at the moment, so please forgive this short message. I will come back later in the day and have a 'chat'.
Good Luck with the Mince Pies.
Julia in Derbyshire

MrDaff

MrDaff Report 21 Dec 2009 09:41

Morning all..... morning Sylvia G and welcome.... any chance of a couple more mince pies on your order list, lol.... I used to do them, but haven't for a long time....

I haven't anything to add (yep, Ann.... all talked out, lololol ;¬))).... just thought I'd pop on and say Hi!! Cos it is a beautiful day, it is nearly Christmas, and I get to be smothered in snuggles in a couple of days time when littlie comes to stay, lol......

Love

Daff xxxxx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Dec 2009 09:48

Hello SylviaG, how lovely to have somebody new post for Christmas. Goodness that is a lot of mince pies, they must have a good reputation. But then you are no doubt used to cooking in bulk with four hungry children to feed, 6 Grandchildren, that is one more than me (aren't they a blessing? Love them to bits!)

Everybody who is a member belongs, we try not to make it a closed shop but inevitably people who have been posting on here for a while will seem as if they know each other. A few of us have met up but there are still many I chat to who I haven't met.

SylviaG I am a retired Civil Servant, have a lovely OH also retired, (I have been retired for 9 years now), I have two children and my eldest (girl) is 48 and the youngest (boy) 42, eldest has three boys and the youngest a boy and a girl. The three older boys are 17, 20 and 21 and the two youngest 13 and 7, there is only one girl among that lot and she is the youngest of the lot.

Sylvia in Canada and SylviaG I hope that means you feel you know more about me now and that you will continue to come on Gen and chat, on this thread if you like, it is nice to have threads to chat on. If you have any craft hobbies there is also the scrapbooking thread and you are welcome to post on there.

Ann
Glos