General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BIG cupboards.....

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Aug 2010 22:30

...hold too much junk !

You'd be amazed at all the things I've found today in a really deep dark cupboard. It's ages since I took every single thing out of there. There are even items that nobody recognises.

Who hid a floral covered ironing-board in there?...

Anyone else have this problem?

Gwyn

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 16 Aug 2010 22:33

But once you have tidied it out you will not be able to get it all back in - somebody's law I think
Regards, Liz

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Aug 2010 22:42

Liz
You're right....It's not all going back in, but that's by choice.

There are outgrown shoes, junior Monopoly, 3 kiddy umbrellas ( grandson is 15 ) and new wiper blades for a Toyota car ( type and model unknown)...and many more items.
Daughter is visiting tomorrow. I think her car will be full on the way home, then she can go to the boot-fair that she often mentions.

Gwyn

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 16 Aug 2010 22:45

we have a rule in this house

nobody opens a cupboard unless they are wearing a hard hat

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 16 Aug 2010 22:49

OH had a bit of a clean-up in the garage and we found football boots that are at least 20 y.o. We also found old toys that we cleaned up for the grandkids. Spiderman, the Hulk etc that this generation of kids are going crazy over again.

I tidied the linen closet awhile back and found tablecloths that don't fit our "new" table that we bought 12 years ago.

Suexx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Aug 2010 23:04

My problem(s) is(are) the attic and the cupboard under the stairs........
I know that in a few (5 ish) years the attic may be inpenetrable to me.....

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Aug 2010 09:05

I find it best not to start!!!

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 17 Aug 2010 09:59

Yes, but I have whole rooms, not just cupboards! We live in a house with lots of rooms, and tend to 'dump' things into one of them for 'sorting out' later. I am tackling it bit by bit and have had one car boot sale so far - where does it all come from, lol! It doesn't help that FIL keeps giving us boxes of stuff that he doesn't want.

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 17 Aug 2010 10:00

Did you have a sat nav to get out of your deep dark cupboard Gwyn? ;o) xx

Time to declutter folks before you get snowed under......we all hoard but it doesn't arf make you feel good when filling those charity/bin bags........but it's the stuff left by children who've left home that's the problem lol ah memories,we have 5 action men etc. still living in our loft.. now my Daughter is experiencing the joys from her boys...

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 17 Aug 2010 13:36

Steve keeps doing the larder cupboard and every time he chucks loads out how it gets in there i dont know.

Roll on them going back to school as he is goingto blitz the whole house may need a few skips lol

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 17 Aug 2010 14:10

i have a big build in cuboard in my bedroom and i seriously need to dig it out, iv only been there a yr but it has sheets n towels on top shelf, my clothes in tubs on the bottom shelf, but the middle shelf ohh dear junk junk junk, same as under my bed, but its all stuff that may come in usfull one day lol, xxx

Cooper

Cooper Report 17 Aug 2010 14:11

Maggie our loft is like yours by the sound of it.
I think we can get just a few more boxes of playmobile and maybe all the starwars lego which is all built and then hard hats to the ready for falling masonary!

19 year old has clearouts of her room every month or so, how she collects so much rubbish is anyones guess.

Teresa

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 17 Aug 2010 14:14

I spent half the weekend clearing out the cupboard in the corner of the bedroom ... yukky job as the top couple of shelves were really dusty.

Anyway, one smallish rubbish bag, 1.5 charity bags and a heap of recycling later I now have order in the cupboard and one completely clear shelf! Plus, I found a lovely little shoulder bag that I'd completely forgotten all about - that was a bit like giving myself a present as a reward!

Jill

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Aug 2010 15:14

Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Today's finds include....

Barbie 'Well done' stickers

Mickey Mouse Wellingtons, ..child size 9

Russian fake fur hat.

Bag of baby lotion and baby talc

Various boxes of tissues...always useful

and

Wall map of the Ukraine.....in Ukranian, of course!

I have climbed into the cupboard, vacuumed it and very little is going back !

Gwyn

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Aug 2010 15:22

I am a little confused by the wall map of the Ukraine Gwyn!!!!! My question is...... Why????

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Aug 2010 15:31

Ann
Why is it there?....Who knows.

OH visited there some years ago and must have been given it / bought it.
He probably tucked it away safely. I've never seen it before.
He can speak Russian, so it will make sense to him !

Gwyn

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Aug 2010 19:23

Hooray !

Daughters just found what we were looking for when we started this cupboard searching.

Now all I've got to do is tidy up and visit a few charity shops with unwanted items.

Gwyn

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 17 Aug 2010 19:35

oh bum pressed wrong button

i was saying, i got cupboard understairs like it,
have to push door shut,
and warn , noooooooooo dont open it,

like im hiding someone

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 17 Aug 2010 20:16

Our loft has scalextric, a train set, and boxes of toys - and we are grandparents now. When the boys come home, they go up the loft and look at their "memory" box
Liz

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 17 Aug 2010 21:15

My hubby spent several happy hours sitting on the bedroom floor the other day sorting out all his old cheque books into date order. They go back to 1966......
When I asked him why he was keeping them he suggested that our granddaughter (aged 1) may be doing family history in 50 years time and will be interested in them!
We've got a dog bed but no dog, computer manuals for machines and software that were got rid of years ago, the Haynes manual for the car before this one... the list goes on but then he tells me that I've got too much junk......