General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gardening thread 2012

Page 0 + 1 of 37

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Jan 2012 13:03

I tried to find one for this year but could only find one for 2011 (Julia) and one for 2010 (Daff). So then I have spent the past ten minutes reading Daff's thread and enjoying seeing how happy she was with her garden just coming to fruition and mentioning all the friends who had given her plants. Bless her she was so happy to be in remission and able to mess around in the dirt again.

Anyway, my reason for the thread..... I have just bought my seed potatoes, second earlies and salad. Not as many as Julia will buy I know as mine just go in a very small piece of garden and in a potato 'tub'. Anyway we got Nadine for second early (wanted Marise Peer but they were like marbles) and International Kidney. A bit of a gamble as we have not grown either of those before but they both looked a lot healthier than the usual Charlotte and Maris Peer.

As we are members of that garden centre garden club we got a pound off the potatoes, and 10% off the whole lot, then we also got two boxes of dried chicken manure and a huge bag of bird seed. OH had a £10 voucher for Christmas (well he had more but we've spent them) so the whole lot came to £1.30 :-D :-D

Julia

Julia Report 24 Jan 2012 13:45

Oh Ann, what memories you have bought back, mentioning that thread of Our Daff's. I remember it well, and her mentioning all the plants and the people that gave them to her. Such lovely memories, and of her being in remission.
We have grown Nadine and International Kidney. The latter ones you mention are the nearest you can grow to Jersey Royals. We also have grown the Charlotte and Maris Peer.
How lucky you were, or your OH to have the gift vouchers. Such alot you got for £1.30. Now that is a bargain

Take Care

Julia in Derbyshire

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Jan 2012 15:20

Yep, still smiling, both over Daff's thread and our good buys.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Jan 2012 17:51

speaking of gardening, my friend mowed her Dad's lawn yesterday!!!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Jan 2012 17:58

Goodness I think ours would be too wet Ann.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 24 Jan 2012 18:04

my daffs are in bloom now way to early
as we are exspecting snow tomorrow
i hope they dont spoil

i miss Daff so much (bless her )
and remember to how much she enjoyed her garden

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Jan 2012 22:08

Hope your Daffs don't spoil Joy, we had a couple out but they were poleaxed by a hard frost we had although the primroses survived it.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 24 Jan 2012 22:49

thank you ann me to

Von

Von Report 26 Jan 2012 14:15

Ann
I'm really pleased you have added this thread.
Certainly Daff loved her garden and it was really interesting to hear her gardening stories.

I took a walk down the garden yesterday to see what was in bloom and what I would expect to see in January and what was unusual.

I usually have daffodils in January as I plant an early variety that blooms then but this year there are far more out than usual.

My snowdrops made an appearance yesterday and my hellebores are flowering quite profusely.

Things that are out that I wouldn't expect to see are cyclamen,comfrey, clematis and marigolds
My roses also have lots of shoots on them so wonder if they should be pruned early.
Take care
Von

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 26 Jan 2012 18:31

Von, it is worrying with everything being out of sinc isn't it. Some of our helebores are out and one cyclamen, some daffs and some primulas/primroses. We also have some plants that would normally sleep during winter such as Galardia that still have leaves on them and our lilac tree is budding.

The thread that I was talking about with Daff going round her garden was in March and she was mentioning helebores then. We gave her quite a few and she loved them.

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Jan 2012 14:17

I'd been tempted by the sunshine to clear up the dead leaves and tidy up a bit, but I'm now leaving them for shelter for the roots of other things and a bit of cover for the birds,

"Up to four inches of snow are expected to fall across higher ground today with temperatures set to plummet across the whole country by the weekend."

Iris

Iris Report 27 Jan 2012 16:18

hubby has just planted some winter lettece in the greenhouse ,plus started some of the early cabbage seed off in pots .veg plot all dug over ,ready for spring .

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Jan 2012 16:37

Von, OH says prune your roses.

Iris, wow, getting ahead there then. All we have done is put our potatoes to chit.

K

K Report 27 Jan 2012 18:48

Our hellabores are also starting to bloom. I do love the doubles and frilly ones. Our snowdrops have started but there are no sign of the early daffs yet. I did see a couple of dandelions in flower last weekend!!

I think this weekend I will sort out all the seeds. I split and replanted our purple Oxalis plants last week(inside) in a mad moment, but they seem to be taking it well. I also planted a few Clematis vitacellas up a replacement trellis/fence. I do love their flowers in late summer

Had rather a fright this week when a parcel labled live plants arrived and I was worried some plug plants I had ordered had arrived far to early. Thank goodness it was just seed pototoes!!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Jan 2012 21:31

Lol potatoes, live plants. I suppose they would be if left wrapped up. Joking apart it is the bestw ay for them to get delivered promptly I expect.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 Jan 2012 10:56

Well we had a frost last night but the dutch iris, crocus and daffodils that are out seem to have survived. The primroses look a bit squashed but hopefully they will recover.

K

K Report 29 Jan 2012 11:20

In Herefordshire it's still frosty but it looks like we will miss the snow tomorrow

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 Jan 2012 11:26

K your cat in the picture is the image of one that we had 20 years ago, she was 13 when she died Josie she was called, had her from a kitten.

K

K Report 29 Jan 2012 11:43

I an sure she was as wonderful and affectionalte as ours is! He is called Bix and follows us everywhere outside. He chose to adopt and live with us and tries to help with most things, but the typing lessons I have given him have yet to bear fruit!

Sadly I am allergic and he can't come in the house, but he has the luxury of heated accommodation in our garage. He emerged briefly today but is back in there fast asleep.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 Jan 2012 11:47

Strangely, we have had two cats but not had any for about 8 years as when our Holly died we chose not to have any as we go away for a month at a time spring and autumn. I was never allergic to our cats (Holly was a rescue cat), but now when we visit our son who has 2 British short hairs my eys sting and itch and I sneeze and sneeze for the first few hours.