General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please Save These Dogs

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbra

Barbra Report 1 Dec 2017 12:38

Commanding Officer. Defence Army Centre ..Ashfordby Road..Melton Mowbray. Leics, LE13.OHX .in the news today two Dogs ex army Kevin & Dazz.were in Afgan helping the troops .are now going to be put down next week tragic, if you can write or contact please do they should be saved Barbara

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Dec 2017 12:53

Here's a petition - started by Andy McNab:

https://www.change.org/p/defence-animal-centre-save-our-veteran-dogs

Barbra

Barbra Report 1 Dec 2017 17:17

Thank You for the link Maggie .I have signed petition hope they are saved .Barbara

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 1 Dec 2017 17:24

How the hell can the MOD if it is them put the dogs down.

The dogs have served the country now they need to retire in PEACE.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Dec 2017 18:47

It's disgusting isn't it?

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 1 Dec 2017 19:42

It's more than disgusting.

It's like saying all the soldiers have done their time and now be put down..

Would love to get hold of the person that has done this horrible news.
He needs a piece of his uniform ripping off him and demoting.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 1 Dec 2017 20:06

It's disgraceful - I've signed!

Barbra

Barbra Report 1 Dec 2017 22:18

Thank you please sign the petition .they have helped save so many soldiers & risk their own lives they deserve to be cared for disgusting news .,

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Dec 2017 22:25

Read the following before you sign
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/540010/Military-Dogs-Destroyed-MOD

It’s not as straight forward as it might seem.

Barbra

Barbra Report 1 Dec 2017 22:42

The treatment these animals are getting is abhorrent to me .cruel beyond belief ..lost for words after reading the article .so sad they deserve better

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 1 Dec 2017 22:48

Detective,
I have read the Express details but you all need to read all the comments further down the page.very interesting comments.
And this is just one comment from the Express.

I was a military working dog handler and find this story disgusting and the greatest load of crap. Military working dogs are treated the same as any other soldier. At the end of their service lives they are assessed as to where they can be placed. Most vs or aes dogs are reformed. A small selection of protection dogs are re homes with previous handlers and most of the rest are returned to Melton Mowbray as a training asset. In the very very slim chance that the dog is incapable of any of these then there is a small chance they could be destroyed. Saying that 51 dogs were destroyed this year is beyond a joke and I would like to see your evidence of this. Otherwise your story is liable and could lead to court action.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Dec 2017 22:58

Oh, I agree. However there are other comments which recognise some dogs just can’t be rehabilitated.

Perhaps Barbra can give a link to her original source?

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Dec 2017 23:18

I have signed.

I accept though that it is not as simple as 'find the dog a good home' many of them won't be of the right temperament to be in a domestic setting. Nonetheless I think they are owed the chance to live out their life, if healthy, in a setting which isn't too far from what they have been used to if that can be done.

Though it irks me to link to the Mail, there is a piece in it on "De-training".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5135465/British-Army-dogs-rehomed.html

The answer is not to use them in the first place... shout me down on it, but if it's not worth risking a person's life, to me, it's not worth risking a dog's life either. The person has a choice, the dogs do not. Being blunt it's already been decided these dogs are expendable before they go into action, that certainly isn't go to change after their service. IMO.

Barbra

Barbra Report 1 Dec 2017 23:54

I read an article on the news relating to this story news papers claimed Dogs to be put down next week sorry cant put a link Daily Mail & Mirror believe are running the story .Maggie gave the link Change .org that's how you sign petition .Barbara

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Dec 2017 00:40

These dogs weren't trained to attack, where's the problem?

At least give retired handlers the chance to adopt them.

Hilary

Hilary Report 2 Dec 2017 07:09

Just signed. Hope it works, they should be honoured not put down. They deserve a lovely retirement home. Disgusted with MOD.
We need to keep nudging this to keep it up the top so more people see it & sign.

Barbra

Barbra Report 2 Dec 2017 11:13

For the love of Animals <3 keep signing .

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 2 Dec 2017 12:35

The UK armed forces going back as far as you like (eg Waterloo, Marlboro') right through ww1 ww2 Dhofar N.I. Falklands Gulf have an appalling record of failing to support ex-soliders in need or with mental health problems. They find it an effort even to provide half way decent accomodation for serving men.

Equipment provided when in line of fire is not up to much either from boots and comms to the single most essential bit of kit a reliable gun.

So given the poor treatment of the men what makes you believe the MOD care overmuch about the dogs?

Quite a few are rehomed / go on to other duties but not all. fwiw the other state orgs using dogs e.g. police have a pretty mixed record as well. Private organisations with state contracts give no data.

Dogs are intelligent animals and respond to retraining. For example racing greyhounds can make excellent household pets. I had a lurcher called Maxx whose (late) gypsy owner (not v kind and used the dog for poaching ) who adapted just fine to an easy life.

Dogs are used to find UXBs and IEDs 'cos they can smell them humans cannot.

https://goo.gl/9k8v1x

If we insist on having a zero risk society then all sorts of undesirable outcomes are inevitable.

Barbra

Barbra Report 2 Dec 2017 13:36

Why have you come on this thread to talk about soldiers .it is a fact MOD do not look after ex military but they sign up & know what they are doing & situations they are putting themselves in we have armed forces to be grateful for I am vey proud when you see young people & older ones who serve Queen & country they are upstanding & proud to do their job .Dogs & horses have no choice they don't sign anything .but are put in terrible danger we as individuals have & will be a voice for these Animals I support* Help The Heroes* do my bit Barbara

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 2 Dec 2017 16:04

Proud of you Barbra.
You have said what I was thinking when I read the above piece.