General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BBC2 tonight A House Through Time 9pm reminder

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 31 Dec 2017 11:59

https://tinyurl.com/ya46l53m

Von

Von Report 31 Dec 2017 12:54

Rather a rambling article but I look forward to seeing the programme.

I would love to see inside the houses where some of my ancestors lived ;-)

Autumnleaves

Autumnleaves Report 31 Dec 2017 13:35

Thanks for that. II will look forward to watching it.

Happy New Year to you and family.

Rambling

Rambling Report 4 Jan 2018 18:07

Happy new Year Jean :-)

Nudge for the programme tonight, 9pm BBC2

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 4 Jan 2018 22:03

I really enjoyed that programme. A bit like WDYTYA but about the people who lived in a particular house.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Jan 2018 22:04

Interesting - not a house with 'good vibes' so far!!

I was pleased when they stopped pronouncing 'clerk' the American way :-D :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 4 Jan 2018 22:16

I enjoyed that :-) I didn't even get up to make coffee lol. I am sure I have come across the Orr surname on here?

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Jan 2018 22:55

That was an interesting programme. It opens up the possibility of some good background reading.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Jan 2018 23:10

I feel the need to rejoin FMP (I'm waiting for an 'offer' to appear) and trace the extremely old (now demolished) fisherman's cottage we lived in, in Mevagissey.
My sister and I would have marble races along our bedroom floor - put the marble one end - it would rapidly roll to the other end of the room - all on it's own :-S
It backed onto the (yet again, now demolished) fish factory, where 50+ years ago, dad was manager, and I'd spend Saturdays changing the labels on Portuguese Sardines, to Cornish Sardines, to earn extra pocket money.

I didn't admit to that, did I? :-D :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Jan 2018 18:47

2nd episode tonight :-)

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 11 Jan 2018 20:51

Thanks our Rose, after I missed last Thursday and only saw the repeat being aired...lolol

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 11 Jan 2018 20:58

tivo never forgets :-)
I live in a pre Victorian house which was built by a distant relly long ago. It has been used for all manner of things as well as a "gentleman"s residence" which is how it started out. weaving, gold beating and orfeverie, uniform taylor, doss house / brothel, pawnbroker, counting house, empty scheduled for demolition, rescued and now a house again though only an estate agent would call it a residence.

No murders though one of my forebears who lived there a detective served on the Ripper case. I once lived in New Southgate in a house where a guy had his throat cut on account of owing money to the wrong people. As a result I bought it cheap with contents. I did have to redecorate and buy a new mattress.

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Jan 2018 22:13

snort :-) sorry but the "buy a new mattress" made me laugh, which begs the question asked by friend regarding the house in Liverpool "Is it haunted?". Did your house have a happy atmosphere Rollo, in spite of the murder?

None of my ancestors houses ( that I know of) have been big, and less so because of the number of children brought up in them. Most have gone completely now, though I think that my gt uncle's home ( almost certainly rented) is still there, a 2 bed terrace in Brentford area now worth a hefty half million. plus

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 12 Jan 2018 19:44

The house was in Beaconsfield Rd N11 - it is still there. I used to drink at a nearby Irish pub called the Turrets which has recently closed. It is being converted into flats which has saved a very distinctive building.

I divided it up into two flats which I let out, boys ground floor, grils top floor. Heh heh. The rent paid for my postgraduate studies.

I never did stop the blood seeping out of the floor even after sanding down the floorboards. In the end I had to tear the room apart with new F&F which more or less fixed it. Even then cats would not go into the room of death. Go figure.

The house is still divided up so I guess nobody wants to live there long term but then who would want to put down roots in Friern Barnet. Arnos Grove tube station has some insalubrious connections as well.

How big is big ? Plenty of people in Paris get by with 50 sq m of living space for a family of 4. My GGM was brought up in a tenement in Granville Street Dublin with 9 people sharing a single room of about 25 sq m. Now it is a lux pad for bankers with several tenement rooms knocked together ). In my experience projects and stuff and animals and broke kids expand to fill the room available while when space is tight there is a ruthless pruning.

It is a great shame that with the new system of registering property so many histories encapsulated in the title deeds are being lost. The new system is even more open to fraud and tax evasion than the old one which is why the current government likes it..

Apart from a house in Northants where my GF was born most of the places my close rellies were born and died in 1800-2018 have fallen to the wrecking ball usually 'cos of financial greed. Not all though.

IMHO the address where somebody got going should be on the birth cert as well as, say, QMC Nottingham. Ordinary people don't realise it but they are being anonymised out of existence such that the only trace of them ever having lived will be a thousand bytes or so of computer record which will probably be deleted after 100 years.

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Jan 2018 20:10

Interesting about the cats Rollo, I will remember to send ours in first if we need to check out rooms ( assuming I ever get to move from here other than feet first).

The house where I was not born but lived in as a baby is still standing, as is the next one. One has gone, and the one after that is sadly derelict and up for sale (at a price!) with a fair bit of land in the IOM.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Jan 2018 22:03

Birth Certificates still have Signature, description and residence of informant on them, and as the informant is usually a parent - therefore it has the childs address.

I haven't heard of this bit disappearing.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 12 Jan 2018 22:19

We have all the deed transfers, death of owners and their estate records, grants applied for and granted for our house.

Also as ours was part of the new houses for the mining company I also am fortunate to have all the records from the landowners, their agents and tenants with the rents paid and lots of trivia from 1885 onwards.

These records (as they include all the roads built for the mines) are very useful when researching for our village history.

We were jolly lucky all these papers were preserved, simply because the property wasn't mortgaged for decades and so the paperwork was kept by the owners not the lenders.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 13 Jan 2018 09:32

I agree about the new system regarding the Land Registry and deeds. So many avenues for the unscrupulous, Rollo.

However, what to do? Last year a friend told us her house deeds were kept securely in a small safe in her garage. :-0 :-0

She is out at work all day!

She had not given a thought to fit, young guys being able to somehow transport a small safe to a quiet place before opening it and removing its contents - more than just house deeds in her case.

My mind's boggling just thinking about the many opportunities for theft and fraud.

Years ago, building societies would store your land and house deeds free if you left approximately £50 owing on your mortgage. Does that still happen?

I mentioned this to the friend and she could not get her head beyond thinking that you would never own your house and always have a mortgage. The security of knowing the deeds were stored safely and you could get them any time and even retain them if you gave the building society £50, so, in effect, you did own your house, never registered with her.

I gave up as, shocked, she kept repeating 'but you'd never own your house.'

I have no idea where she stores anything now and I shall never ask her either.

Once again, I have gone 'off-piste', sorry.

I am enjoying this programme, not least because my grandfather, great-grandparents and 2 x great-grandparents lived in the same house not far from this one for about 50 years and my 3 x great-grandfather lived a couple of doors away from them so four generations ..... I am researching a fifth whom I suspect is the other 3 x great-grandfather on that side also living on the same street ....

Really enjoying this programme so I hope he does more around the country. I like his style of presentation too.

Rambling

Rambling Report 13 Jan 2018 11:57

I absolutely agree Joy Louise on how interesting it is ( I'm not from Liverpool but just across the Mersey lol) and the presentation :-)

If you haven't read it you might be interested in "Flesh and Blood
A History of My Family in Seven Maladies"by actor Stephen McGann, covers his family history in Liverpool.

As regards deeds, when I was selling our house in Wales and tried to get the deeds stored by the bank ( all paid up ) they had "lost" them :-P so it was a case of paying to get a copy made by land reg' or possibly lose the sale. So turned out I would have been better off keeping them in a drawer ;-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Jan 2018 18:16

Reminder for tonight
:-)