General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What are you known as?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Feb 2018 01:32

My eldest grandchild (15) told me she was 'called out' the other day, because she referred to me as 'Granny'. Apparently, I should have been her 'Nan'!
I'm no Nan, I'm a Granny, or Grandmamamamama - if the grandchild may be 'in trouble' if they carry on in their activity! (a 'warning' signal!)

My sister is 'Grandma' to her grandchildren - an important discrimination, as we, our children and grandchildren often holiday together, and we are referred to as 'Granny' and 'Grandma' by both sets of grandchildren.
My mum was a 'Nana, my dad, 'Grandpa' - my ex's parent's had died.
Both my parent's mum's were 'Granny's' (Granny and Granny D)
My ex is called 'Poppa' by all grandchildren - yes, he appears at family holidays.
My sister is a widow.

What are you known as?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Feb 2018 02:37

My adult grandaughter calls me nan. Grandson calls me gran

Grt grandchildren call me Big Nan in that I am the generation above my daughter who they call nanny

Hubby was always called grandad by grandkids and grt grandkids

Really don't think it matters what you are called as long as its with respect .

The kids settled on what they felt comfy with

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 17 Feb 2018 03:22

With our 2 grand-daughters,we had first choice - so Nan and Grumps!

B

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Feb 2018 04:34

I'm Grandma, OH is Grandpa

His parents were Grandma and Grandpa or Granddad to my daughter and her cousins. My parents were both dead by then, but were Grandma and Granddad to my brother's children

OH called his mother's mother Nain (Welsh for Grandmother), she was the only grandparent alive, Grandfather would have been Teid or Taid if alive.

OH's sister opted to be called Nain by her grandchildren, harking back to the Welsh ancestry

I only knew my mother's parents, and I called them Mother and Father! Seemingly they felt they were too young to be called Grandmother and Grandfather when my brother was born more than 10 years earlier, so that was what they decided! I followed suit.

They would have been in their mid-40s when brother was born, and their youngest child was only 4 years old! They had 4 children born over a period of 22 years, with apparently no still births or miscarriages.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Feb 2018 04:40

It's interesting to compare different countries .........

Nan or Nanny is rarely heard over here except by recent British immigrants

On the other hand, Mum or Mummy is rarely heard except by those of British ancestry ............... Mom or Mommy is the Canadian word.

I was Mummy then Mum :-D

Daughter married a man from the Maritimes, and there the common terms for grandparents are Grammy and Gramps.

My grandson has a Grammy and a Great Grammy :-D . His grandfather is known as Granddad.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Feb 2018 06:23

I am Granmum, OH was Grandad.

My in-laws came to visit, when grandson was about 2 and he looked from my husband towards father-in-law and said "More Grandad", so that is how they were always referred to afterwards and signed cards from More Gran and More Grandad..

My children called their Grandmothers after the place they lived, - it became part of their name, eg.. ' Gran in Fleet.' to distinguish between the 2 grandmothers.

I called Mum's mother, Grandma and her husband, Grandad.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Feb 2018 08:28

I'm Grandma and other half is Grandad.

Being from the north east I'm also Mam (not Mum) to my kids, other half is Dad.

Kath. x

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 17 Feb 2018 08:31

I am variously called Mum, Mama and - popular in the neck of the woods we now live in, Mam. It all depends which name tips off the lips of my kids first.

As a grandmother, the oldest two grandchildren have always called me Granny but the young un began calling me Grandma (his Mum loves the word). However, for the past four years or so he has always called me Gran and now one of the others uses the word Gran occasionally.

I only grew up with one grandparent, the other having died at a young age. I was the oldest grandchild on the then living gran's side and I called her Nina (pronounced Ninna). Some of my siblings and cousins followed suit. The only reason I can think for using the name Nina is that perhaps when I was very young I could not get my tongue around using the word Nana - we all had a good vocabulary before we were a year old. So Nina rules! ;-) :-D <3

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 17 Feb 2018 08:43

We are grandma and grandad, although for many years I was hanma until she could pronounce grandma correctly.

The other grandparents are grandpa and gaga ( gaahgaah). That was her first attempt and it was so cute that it stuck.

My own grandparents were grandma and grandad as were my husbands

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 17 Feb 2018 09:14

I had a grandma (paternal) a nan and granddad (maternal). A friend whose grandchildren are all starting to produce her great grandchildren has decided to use the word for grandmother in Greek, all the great grandchildren call her yaya (pronounced yaryar) :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Feb 2018 09:17

We’re Grandma & Grandad although it comes out as Ganmah & Gangan. It may ‘stick’!

My parents were Grandma & Grandpa, his are Nana & Grandad as were his own paternal grandparents. His maternal grandparents were Grandma & Grandad.

My paternal grandparents were Nana & Grandad.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 17 Feb 2018 09:51

As I haven't got children, or grandchildren, I'm just called Sheila :-D

OH's grandchildren call him 'Grandad'.

My late B-I-L was 'Pappy'.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 17 Feb 2018 10:33

I am *old biddy *to all the kids,grandkids and great grand kids.
I don't see any of the kids

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 17 Feb 2018 10:36

I am Nanny Sooz

I don't actually get called Nanny Sooz.......but when Roddy arrives, i pick him up, give him a cuddle and say.....

"Roddy lubs his Nanny Sooz"

Roddy (French Bulldog) is the Granddog. I have to greet him outside because as soon as he see's me, he does an excited piddle.

Norty Roddy!! :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Feb 2018 10:37

Why, or who, 'called out' Maggie's granddaughter? Its no one's business what the Grandparents are called, except the family's.
If Grandmother is happy to be called Nan, then that's the end of it. :-S

Mersey

Mersey Report 17 Feb 2018 10:39

I call mine Nan always have...to the kids she is Nanny Buttons and they give her her full title always <3 <3 :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Feb 2018 11:25

I love the variations! :-D

'Moregran' and 'Grandog' :-D :-D

Detective, it was someone at school who tried to tell my grand daughter I was her 'Nan'.
Grand daughter was rather amazed, and soon corrected her.
What made this girl think her name was the was 'right' one, and the only one to use?

Like you, she asked this girl what it had to do with her anyway, and had she never heard what other people called their grandparents?

Grand daughter doesn't suffer fools gladly! :-|

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 17 Feb 2018 12:32

I'm Nana and Oh is Papa by grt grandchildren,
grand children say grandma and granda.

My daughter is called mama and her Oh gaga by her grandchildren. :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Feb 2018 13:32

I had a Gramdma (Paternal with surname attached to distinguish) and Grandma and grandpa (maternal with surname attached).
My children called my parents Grandma and Grandpa and OH's Dad (his Mum died when she was 48 before we were married) Granddad.

Our grandchildren (all except the youngest) still had my parents alive when they were born so called them Grandma and Grandpa even though they were 'greats'). so I chose to be Nana and OH Granddad. (daughter's children had Grandma and Grandad for their Dad's parents, and he became Granddad with 'dog's name- we didn't have a dog). Son'e children also called us Nana and Granddad, and - love this - Son's parents in law became Grannie and Granddad with trams :-D He was a volunteer at the tram museum in Derbyshire until he died.

Our Great Grandchildren also call us Nana and granddad. On daughter's side they have quite a variation of grandparents and great grandparents and sometimes the names double up but they don't seem to have too much trouble sorting out who is who.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 17 Feb 2018 13:49

I am Nana :-D :-D