General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

It seems

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Apr 2018 08:28

a matter of course these days that nine times out of ten you cannot get onto Genes first (maybe second or third) time so have to go through the Home page. does anyone ever read their home page? Is that what they want us to do? :-S

Allan

Allan Report 9 Apr 2018 09:10

AnninGlos, I have no trouble getting on, but when I post on some of the Game Boards I get the dreaded error message.

I'm assuming that this is due to timing out!

However sometimes my post does go on but only after an interval of time longer than that occurs with the error message :-S

I did say some months ago when there was a spate of rr'd messages for quite innocuous things that I had come to the conclusion that GR staff were behind it to make people so fed up that they would leave the site; then when enough people had gone they (staff) could use falling membership numbers as an excuse to close down the site :-D :-D

I consider my error messages in the same light ;-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 9 Apr 2018 09:25

Actually, getting on, fer me is ok,as it happens though it often falls over after posting a response..

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 9 Apr 2018 09:28

LOL spake too soon , yep it fell over for my reply !!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Apr 2018 09:56

Still constantly happening to me too
I just try to change boards and hey ho the circle just rings around and timed out

As a matter of fact am posting this after being timed out again trying to get from find ancestors to this board

And I am on my iPad too

Happens all the time whether on laptop or pc or iPad and it's different setups on all of them
I.e. Windows XP. Windows' 10 and Apple

Caroline

Caroline Report 9 Apr 2018 11:31

Tend to get the error page every day but get there usually a few mins later.

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Apr 2018 12:03

Same for me Ann for months now, usually get in through either the logo or the support link on error page.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Apr 2018 12:13

took me five times then and I only wanted to change my photo, clicked account and it threw me out then 5 times on the logo to get back in.

Von

Von Report 9 Apr 2018 12:33

I don't get it as I don't have any trouble. :-D
Probably jinxed it now ;-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Apr 2018 13:44

Do you mean you never get thrown out while on here and you never can't get on here first time you try? Wow. Your face must fit!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Apr 2018 13:45

Do you mean you never get thrown out while on here and you never can't get on here first time you try? Wow. Your face must fit!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 9 Apr 2018 13:58

I get the "error message" every time I come onto Genes. Usually takes two or three attempts before I get on.

Have tried contacting support but they just say "empty your cookies" or "try another browser" but they will not admit that it must be down to them when loads of people have the same problem.

Personally I think it's down to the fact that the site needs some money throwing at it but that is never going to happen!!

Kath. x

Von

Von Report 9 Apr 2018 14:13

Sorry Ann I get on every time on laptop or tablet :-0 :-0 :-0

I do sometimes get the error message after I have posted but usually the post has been added.

I think part of the problem now is there is no-one who can sort it out or correspond with you.
I had lots of correspondence with Estelle when she was there and she always sorted things out as did Phil but wouldn't even know who to contact now :-S

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 9 Apr 2018 14:19

The two emails I got back from Genes regarding the "error message" were from Sophie and then Karen.

Kath. x

Allan

Allan Report 9 Apr 2018 14:35

I should have said in my earlier post that after receiving the error message, I click on the back button and then on 'My Threads' and there my post is shown on the relative Board.

It's a clat that I can do without :-|

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 9 Apr 2018 14:46

I very rarely have any trouble either. I never sign out and go straight in from my favourites bar, then end up on the Keepsafe page. If I sign out it takes me to the Home page when I sign in again, but I can then go straight to wherever I want with no bother.

I use Google Chrome, and I seem to remember reading that Genes prefers this to other ISP's. :-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 9 Apr 2018 14:57

I use Google Chrome too but I still have loads of error messages and trouble posting sometimes.

Kath. x

Kense

Kense Report 9 Apr 2018 15:49

When your PC makes a request to the GR software it expects a response within a certain time. If that doesn’t happen then the error message is displayed. The GR software is not sophisticated enough to discriminate between types of error.

Provided that the GR servers are working normally most people will not encounter the error message as the result of a timeout. If you look at the posting history of those who have problems logging in, they all have tens of thousands of posts to their credit or have contributed to a very large current thread.

When you post a message the first action that GR does is to actually post the message so it exists on the system and that should easily happen within the timeout period. However before the server replies to your PC it needs to do some housekeeping which may include informing those members who are watching that thread. In the case of large threads that could take quite a time and might explain why watching threads doesn't always work properly.

When logging on to GR, if you go via the front door, the home page information is virtually the same for everyone, so there is normally no problem. If you enter directly to one of the boards then although the threads displayed are the same for everyone, the icons displayed are peculiar to the person logging on. Somehow it has to determine for each of the twenty threads on the first page, which ones have new posts that that member has not read. I don’t know the GR software but I suspect that it is not very sophisticated and that the method used is particularly long winded when it involves large threads and members with a large posting history. The same problem may occur when switching between pages or boards.

Caroline

Caroline Report 9 Apr 2018 15:57

I've not had tens of thousands of posts but pretty much daily get the message :-)

Annx

Annx Report 9 Apr 2018 16:07

I'm the same as Von Ann and don't usually have error page problems getting onto the site. Once or twice I have had it at a busy time when the page has been too slow to load and has timed out. Like Von I sometimes get an error page after posting, but like she says, the post has usually gone through. I never log out of genes and I don't go through the home page, so maybe that is something to do with it.

What I do is start typing 'genes' and it suggests the link I usually go to first which is

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1371498.

That takes me straight to the first post on the childhood thread. I click on 'post date' at the top and that takes me to the last post on that thread.

I'm not on a fast broadband speed either and use Chrome..