General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I'm Going Off-Line

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 6 May 2018 23:13

...and I may be a little time! :-(

Sometime between 0700 and 1400, our internet connection is changing from ADSL to the much vaunted NBN.

this is necessary as we are now capable of connecting to said system and if we don't we will lose all internet connection in November when the old system is 'switched off'

You can tell that the NBN is a government provided system by the amount of complaints regarding speeds, stability etc.

However, I have my new modem ready to be plugged in once the switch is made.

Having heard at first hand problems that many of my acquaintances have had with their changeovers including lack of emails and phone services, it could be days, if not weeks, before things are back to what passes for normal in this neck of the woods :-0 :-0 :-0

Caroline

Caroline Report 7 May 2018 00:18

Oh no Allan, come back soon we'll miss you :-D :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 7 May 2018 00:25

I "TRUSS" you will be back with us again soon?

junemac

junemac Report 7 May 2018 00:27

Good luck Allan we're in Victoria and have had nbn since January .they turned our old system off a week early .But once we were connected it's not too bad although can't say it's much better to my limited knowledge. I received a text Fri saying we may be off for a few hours today .So far ok and of course you would know that when NBN is down no landline works .

Allan

Allan Report 7 May 2018 00:52

Thanks junemac :-)

I was aware of that, but both OH and myself do have mobile phones, although I very rarely use mine :-D

Indeed it is hardly turned on; it has a great battery life :-D

According to all the info I've been given, we just plug the modem in and it connects itself to the network. We have to leave it on for 15 minutes to let it self-load all the settings and then we use the setup wizard for the final part. As we are transferring our telephone number, this part could take from 2 to 5 days :-(

junemac

junemac Report 7 May 2018 02:24

Good luck if you have any teething problems like we did you ring your provider they say not their problem ,must be NBN .Then NBN say no it's your provider ,but really it wasn't too bad .hope yours goes smoothly .And like you we have mobiles so you still have access .

Allan

Allan Report 7 May 2018 10:13

Well, that was relatively painless, although I did have to contact my ISP due to conflicting information in its emails.

Main phone is not yet working but we were advised that as we are keeping our old number this could take a few days

Barbra

Barbra Report 7 May 2018 11:07

Hello Allan you will be back & hopefully fully functional . Take care you & OH xx

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 7 May 2018 13:54

So the wraith of Telstra condemns the land of OZ to the digital slow lane. ROFL.
The setup is perfect for state surveillance or large scale hacks,
Even Turnbull thinks it a mess.

Caroline

Caroline Report 7 May 2018 14:33

Oh no Allan now the state will know everything about you and your dodgy handshakes/rolled up trouser legs......

Allan

Allan Report 7 May 2018 22:01

I'm pretty certain that the State, and Feds, already know about me, Caroline :-D

Once you climb on to the Centrelink band wagon via a pension application, then even the colour of your underwear is required :-|

And even though I have now lost my Australian pension, that magical ID number remains :-D :-D

My next missive may be from Bunbury prison, although given the number of handshakes around that establishment, I should be well looked after ;-)

Caroline

Caroline Report 7 May 2018 22:19

:-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 8 May 2018 09:36

I should have added that the Lodge Rooms in Bunbury are situated next door to the major Police Station that serves the entire South West.

According to my sources, no police officers locally, as far as is known, are members of any local lodges

However, the Police do use the building for several ceremonies each year.

Why they need to bring in all that cabling and antennas each time is a complete mystery, especially as they never remove it ;-) :-D :-D

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 9 May 2018 19:35

Hello Mr and Mrs Allan

Hope you get the internet connection set up soon and hurry back to GR!

Take gentle care
Best wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Allan

Allan Report 9 May 2018 22:25

Thank you EOS :-)

The internet is fine, but we are still without our main phone, although we both have mobiles :-)

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 9 May 2018 22:49

"Hey, Allan, I'm your telephone man
You just show me where you want it and I'll put it where I can
I can put it in the bedroom, I can put it in the hall
I can put it in the bathroom, I can hang it on the wall
You can have it with a buzz, you can have it with a ring
And if you really want it you can have a ding-a-ling
Because-a, hey Allan, I'm your telephone man"

:-D ;-) :-D

Allan

Allan Report 9 May 2018 22:58

Thanks PH but we already have the phones where we want them. They are two cordless ones. Now we just need the link to our modem fixed :-D :-D

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 9 May 2018 23:03

What a complete and utter waste of my valuable time. :-P

:-D <3 :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 May 2018 23:05

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 9 May 2018 23:16

Well, I did thank you!:-| :-D :-D

When contact is eventually re-established the first thing I'm going to ring is the operator's neck :-D :-D