General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do you get plaster off the base of a bed?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 4 Jul 2018 20:05

Help needed please!

Ive had the builders from hell in a few weeks ago...very long story.
Anyway they made a complete mess of my new kingsize bed. Trying to get them to replace has proved impossible(they are not based here!)
Anyway im resolved to try and clean the plaster that is all over the divan bases.
Does anyone know what I can use to clean the dried on plaster?

Suggestion please
Thanks

Florence in the hebrides

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Jul 2018 20:39

Have you tried scraping it off with a paint scraper?
(try on a hidden area first - it may scratch)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 4 Jul 2018 20:58

Hi Florence

Google ' How to remove dried plaster from divan base'. There is all sorts of info which might help.

Do you have contents insurance? You might be able to claim. If your landlord hired the builders I think it is down to him to chase them for recompense, or to recompense you himself. It's so annoying to have new things spoiled.

Lizxx

Annx

Annx Report 4 Jul 2018 21:01

You could try tapping something blunt (like a piece of wood or the handle of a scewdriver eg) with a hammer over the plaster marks first to crush them, hopefully to a powder, so you can brush/hoover the worst off.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 4 Jul 2018 21:16

Hi Liz. Yes I do have contents insurance but the excess is £200. The bed only cost £220 was just an ordinary one not a silent night..I wish.

I have been to trading standards although they cant get you compensation but they are building a case on them.
The landlord was misled by a family member and now its all gone wrong, he is obviously annoyed he didn't look into them a bit more.
He has paid for the house to be professionally cleaned and he replaced the carpet as well.

Today I went along with my daughter for support to their new recently opened office. The man and his sidekick were awful! No apology, told me to prove the damage!!! I had a very heated discussion with them and told them I had reported them to trading standards but got nowhere.
I had emailed loads of pictures including the one showing muddy footprints over my kitchen floor where they helped themselves to tea coffee etc and drank all my milk without permission as I was at work.

After half an hour of grilling him to compensate me, I had to leave before my blood pressure went off scale. I told them they were a "bunch of losers" and wouldn't recommend them to anyone!
Crikey I have never spoken to anyone like that before, just shows how angry I was at them.

So I have found online, spare wheels and the clips for holding the bases together. All I need now is to get the bases clean and think the bed would be reusuable.

Sorry to rant, its not been a great 2 months!

Maggie, I did think about scraping the bases but some of it is just like dried sand rather than big lumps.I don't want to make holes in the fabric.

I have had a look online but didn't find anything relating to bed bases.i wondered if a solution of bi-carb soda would work.or maybe just warm soapy water?

As for the landlord paying for the bed, hes offered me 2 weeks free rent although I suggested a month would be more reasonable as I had to sleep downstairs for 6 weeks as the bedroom was left unfinished.The owner painted the walls himself!

Thanks for your suggestions.
Willl let you know how I get on

Florence
in the hebrides

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Jul 2018 21:18

Ah - is it a divan base?
You could try scraping it with something blunt /plastic, that is less likely to damage the material. A spoon may work.

Are there many Karcher hire outlets in the Hebrides?

:-D :-D :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 4 Jul 2018 21:19

Thanks Annx, you posted at the same time as me so have just seen your post.

I shall try all of these suggestions tomorrow and let you know

Florence in the hebrides

Caroline

Caroline Report 4 Jul 2018 21:56

Good luck Florence hope it works out.

Landlord at least seems to be trying to help so that's better than nothing.

The plaster should come off with gentle help, maybe even with a slightly damp cloth but it will take time.

Caroline

Caroline Report 4 Jul 2018 22:23

Pretty sure she didn't employ them her Landlord did ...

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 4 Jul 2018 22:55

Florence,
Try a plastic scraper and gently scrape off excess then hard scrubbing brush to get the rest of the plaster and dust off.

Let us know how you get on.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 4 Jul 2018 23:12

Rollo, the mattress is fine its just the 2 divan bases that join together.

Maggie, yes a plastic spatula might do the trick as there are no huge lumps. its more like sand that has dried out. A damp sponge might do the trick .

Ill try tomorrow, its been a long day!
Thanks for all your advice

goodnight

Florence in the hebrides

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Jul 2018 23:20

I'd try to loosen it, then vacuum it off .

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 5 Jul 2018 00:20

regarding scrapers... I find that redundant loyalty cards...and the like are good as scrapers...(I use em for cleaning the glass of my fish tanks...)..

sorry no help with the plaster, though...

Bob

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Jul 2018 00:31

I use them when using Polyfilla type stuff - makes it nice and smooth.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 5 Jul 2018 00:44

I am sure you can get it off, Florence. What about a fine cheese grater to get the top layer off, and then gently sponge the residue off a little at a time.

Good luck, I am glad your landlord is being helpful!

Well done for telling the losers what you thought of them. Maybe it's time to contact Rogue Traders!

Lizxx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Jul 2018 01:04

Agree, Liz!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 Jul 2018 10:54

Morning peeps.Well...result.
I had a small bottle of vanish gold.I have used this before on carpets and it was very good. I squeezed a small amount onto a square sponge and then worked over a small area.Next I wiped with a damp cloth and....yippee I have just spent the last hour working all around the bases of the 2 divans and although it hasn't dried yet, its looking clean again.

I have now been online and manage to find suppliers for the 2 clips that join the bases together for £2.99 and a new set of wheels for £6.00.So in a few days I could get back to sleeping in my new bed instead of the air bed.

I guess im lucky that the plaster was very fine slashes not big lumps. When they were plastering walls, the did not cover my bed with a blanket etc and that's how the bases got covered in plaster splashes.

Thankyou for all your suggestions...job done :-) :-) :-) :-)

Florence in the hebrides <3

Caroline

Caroline Report 5 Jul 2018 11:34

Good to hear Florence

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Jul 2018 11:54

Well done, Florence :-D

I love that washing stain remover stuff .
I don't buy 'Vanish', but a similar powder product from Poudland - and use it for everything!
I'm currently cleaning my tiles and window frames with a solution of it - and it's marvellous! :-D

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 5 Jul 2018 15:09

Well Done Our lass .let us know when it had dried if it is ok.