General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fireworks

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 2 Nov 2018 19:35

Tonight the Fireworks are driving my Dog nuts
They have been going on and on for over an hour

and still they are going off :-(

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 2 Nov 2018 19:38

They go on for weeks here, Joy. Poor little animals :-(

They are very pretty but personally I think they should only be sold for organised displays

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 2 Nov 2018 19:41

JemimaFawr
I think they should only sell the silent ones for home use :-(

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 2 Nov 2018 21:01

All I have heard for the last hour is a muffled (windows and curtains closed) bang, bang, bang, where's the fun in that? Any refugees must think they are back in a war zone, and of course, pets are terrified although next door's so called nervous springer spaniel hasn't made a sound and he usually howls and barks at the slightest thing.

Time for quieter fireworks, I think!

Lizx

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 2 Nov 2018 21:46

Time for NO fireworks only for the big displays but of course that won't come about.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 2 Nov 2018 22:16

If only Sue :-( :-(

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Nov 2018 22:28

Thank goodness none tonight but there have been some the last couple of nights

One wonders why??

Mr Tibbs the cat has been out for a couple of hours and just come back in

He really doesn't like bangs and unusual noises he doesn't recognise but he still wants to go out of an evening cos that's his routine

Sleeps and eats most of the day and then go out and make sure his garden and others he has claimed as his hasn't been invaded by an intruder

At least now he isn't stalking and catching birds and mice and bringing em home

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Nov 2018 00:31

Poor Betty spent most of the evening under my bed because of the fireworks.
George 'braved it out' by lying on the sofa next to me.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 3 Nov 2018 06:41

My dog Ralph absolutely hates fireworks and I dread this time of year. Not only is there Guy Fawkes to contend with on the 5th but we have people celebrating Diwali (Festival of Light) on the 7th.

When I was young Guy Fawkes was always celebrated on the 5th regardless of what day of the week it fell on and that was it.....now fireworks seem to be going off for weeks. Also, the fireworks were really quite 'tame' back then eg. Roman Candles, Catherine Wheels, Rockets that went Phutt and Sparklers. A lot of the fireworks that are set off today, I'm sure, are display fireworks and are not really suitable for back gardens as they often make the house shake!....it is like what I would imagine WWIII to be like :-|

Tesco's are selling fireworks £60-£75 each or two for £110 :-0 :-0. Another independent shop is selling fireworks ' Buy one get TWO free' :-| :-|. People literally have money to burn..... austerity, what austerity :-|

Fireworks should only be set off at organised displays (they are so dangerous in the wrong hands), on the day of celebration between 0730-0930. :-)

Rant over :-D :-D

Bunnyboo

Bunnyboo Report 3 Nov 2018 10:16

I agree with everything you've said Londonbelle! Last night our little cocker spaniel was sent into a paroxism of barking at the firework display over the way,! No doubt they'll be another display tonight somewhere else :-( :-( We live right in the country, so goodness only knows what living in a built up area must be like!!!

Island

Island Report 3 Nov 2018 10:49

My dog doesn't have any nuts to be driven Joy ;-) :-D

Magpie, we lived in London, the fireworks noise was awful. Now semi rural we only hear them in the distance. If doggie hears anything he thinks it's a visitor at the door :-D

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 3 Nov 2018 13:10

Classic FM have a programme of soothing music for stressed pets this evening starting at 7...... Ralph will be tuning in :-)

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 3 Nov 2018 13:24

:-D :-D :-D@ Belle!

Ralphie <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Nov 2018 15:18

That was a waste of time and energy. typed a long post and apparently the connection failed (i.e.times out) and I lost what I had typed.

The gist was that there is somewhere in Italy that are only allowing silent fireworks in their displays. Specially commissioned silent ones I think, because of children and dogs and other animals.

But it is not only animals, those of our ex military 'Vets' some of whom are still suffering from PTSD, must be absolutely distraught at the loud bangs that mimic bombs and gunfire.

Dermot

Dermot Report 3 Nov 2018 15:22

My neighbour used to get some tablets from the Vet to calm down his beloved pet.

Worked ok as far as I could tell.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 3 Nov 2018 16:01

My Ralph has a script from the Vets which we get filled at our Pharmacy unfortunately the herbal tabs have no affect on him whatsoever :-(

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 3 Nov 2018 19:00

Its like a mass explosion night tonight
and when its not the fireworks its a motor bike

73 times it reeved up on the front
or road past my house
and thats just while I was counting :-( :-(

Its normally really quiet round here :-D

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 3 Nov 2018 19:10

My poor cat desperately wants to go out.:-(

Every time I open the back door there's huge bangs, flashes of light and the strong wind and rain hits him too and he runs and hides :-(

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Nov 2018 19:19

It's bee noisy out there tonight ,been going on and off for over two hours

Poor cat wanted to go out when the first bangs started he was frightened out of his wits

He looked terrified and he hid behind the settee and wouldn't come out

He is snuggled up on the seat of the chairlift at the moment which parks in quite an enclosed landing so guess he feels safer there

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 3 Nov 2018 19:44

Ours is flumped out and fairly relaxed, he's more puzzled than anything else. Luckily we haven't had any of the 'depth charge' ones (yet). We've only had the dog a few months (he's a rescue) so good to see that he's OK.