General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Type 2 Diabetes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ann

ann Report 10 Feb 2019 21:58

I was diagnosed 3 years ago. I did have it when I was pregnant with my last child and so was my sister. That cleared after we had the children. My sister was diagnosed 2 years ago. Yesterday was told my brother also has been diagnosed but he is insulin dependant. My cousin was diagnosed with type 1 later in life and died age 43. My grandson is type 1 since 4 and now I understand further past generations were diabetic. People say type 2 love sweet things and I had never eaten theses. I think its in your genes

Ron2

Ron2 Report 10 Feb 2019 22:13

I too think diabetes can be genes related. I started Type 2 in 2002. Few years later doing paternal family history, met up with some cousins never seen before and the 3 men in the family were Type 2. Was in hospital last year for over a week on 2 occasions and cos diabetic blood sugar levels tested every hour - this in bowel cancer ward

Barbra

Barbra Report 10 Feb 2019 22:23

Ann it's surprising how many food items contain sugar .fruit veg tin foods .its just not sweet items a lot of food you wouldn't think have sugar .we have a. Friend late 30s he was diagnosed two years ago Type one no family members apart from him ..so maybe it's something to check up on I have been type 2 since 2014 no family history what's the answer Take Care Barbara

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 11 Feb 2019 20:38

4 out of 5 of my family down one line
since 1842 are Diabetic

But even more strange
Nobody along that line has ever died of Cancer too :-D :-D

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 13 Feb 2019 00:40

There is a lot of TID in my family too including my daughter, my nephew and 3x2nd cousins.
It is a genetic pre disposition and is triggered by environmental issues. ( virus etc)
My daughter developed it 6yrs ago, aged 25
She is currently 17weeks pregnant and is working really hard at blood glucose control.

Sugar happens to be 100% carbohydrate but, all carbohydrates convert to blood glucose.

All flour based products, pasta, rice, potatoes, beans etc.. are mostly carbohydrate and convert to glucose in the blood.
Fruit contains fructose which is also a carbohydrate.

Insulin converts blood glucose to energy.
Type1 does not produce insulin. There is no cure and is not caused by diet or lifestyle
Type2 is insulin resistant, often curable and caused by mitigating factors, diet or lifestyle.

Controlling type2 diabetes is not all about "sugar."
It's about all carbohydrates

Linda

Linda Report 13 Feb 2019 08:21

Type 2 diabetes ran in my husbands family he had it both his parents had it but they type 1 his aunt and a cousin and there might have been more that we did not know about so yes I think it is in the genes