General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Nigeria.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dermot

Dermot Report 10 Mar 2019 15:29

If a colleague is to be believed:-

'Nigerians are amongst the most capable & educated people in the world.

Nearly every family, especially in the southern part of the country, has college-degree holders'.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Mar 2019 16:18

Well, if this article is to be believed:

https://www.chron.com/news/article/Data-show-Nigerians-the-most-educated-in-the-U-S-1600808.php

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Mar 2019 16:22

Probably bought from the online colleges !!!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Mar 2019 17:28

No. Earned and worked for in America - why would you assume they were bought?
Unless, of course, you believe every American degree is bought.

Here's an extract from the article:
"17 percent of all Nigerians in this country (USA) held master's degrees while 4 percent had a doctorate, according to a 2006 survey.
In addition, 37 percent had bachelor's degrees.
To put those numbers in perspective, 8 percent of the white population in the U.S. had master's degrees, according to the Census survey. And 1 percent held doctorates. About 19 percent of white residents had bachelor's degrees. Asians come closer to the Nigerians with 12 percent holding master's degrees and 3 percent having doctorates."

There is a mandatory and free education policy in Nigeria.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 10 Mar 2019 18:00

Must check with my son who is working in Nigeria.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Mar 2019 19:16

No Maggie. I don't think very American degree is bought

Have watched several series on tv of Nigerians coming into the uk on student visas to be found working illegally whilst claiming to be studying at certain colleges only for investigations finding they were bogus colleges that gave out bogus certificates

So my comment was a bit tongue in cheek :-(

Dermot

Dermot Report 15 Mar 2019 15:03

*A magazine editorial comment:-

"The entire American higher education system is a joke. If you have a degree, you bought it. End of story.

It’s all fraudulent nonsense, so how this is still a story at all is shocking!" :-S

David

David Report 15 Mar 2019 18:27

Many of the NHS's hospitals are teaching hospitals and many of the nursing stall are from Philippines, Pakistan, Africa. They work had for their education, and thousands of patients depend on their care and are grateful.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Mar 2019 22:50

Yes Dermot, and we could quote the 'Mail' and say it was the truth!! :-D :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 16 Mar 2019 07:08

These days society, without embarrassment, is constantly assaulting the truth.