General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Government

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Mar 2020 22:46

First, although Boris may not be the ideal prime minister in the eyes of all, I am quite glad that it is he and not David Cameron who is trying to sort out the current disaster.

Second, I do think people who have accommodation wherever they chose to go on holiday and are as safe as possible, could understand that there are far more pressing problems for the government at present than to get them home.

Allan

Allan Report 20 Mar 2020 08:45

The same applies to Australians also, Sharron, particularly the younger ones who took off when the outbreak was just beginning. They are now 'demanding' that the Government get them out; many of the countries that they are stranded in have completely closed their borders.

Best of luck with that!

Island

Island Report 20 Mar 2020 08:54

I can understand people wanting to be in their comfort zone ie home but has no one told them the virus is at home too? :-S

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Mar 2020 11:51

It's weird when people have gone on holiday as this all broke out when advice was already to not go...I get it money but is it really worth it....

Many leaders are stepping up and doing things and that's good to see.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 20 Mar 2020 13:36

They have no insurance then?

Those on cruises especially have to offer proof that they have travel insurance - we did a couple of years ago.

It irked me today to read that yet more overseas were asking the UK govt to charter flights home. One article read that our govt had chartered a plane for people in Peru who wanted to be back home and it was charging £3,000 an economy seat up to £5,600 business class. One woman thought it was outrageous apparently as a return flight costs up to £800. If it was chartered by a profit-making company the seats may well be a helluva lot more.

The govt has also granted permission to two airlines to fly empty planes to Morocco to rescue stranded customers. The numbers in the airport have resulted in chaotic scenes.

Even if I had no money but was stuck overseas, I would sign, promising to pay back the govt.

Every little that is taken from the nation's coffers to help people living overseas to get home is at the expense of citizens and the requirements of the NHS and other necessary bodies to get through dire times here.

A final rant: it was reported that panicked holidaymaker have described airport officials in one country as 'downright clueless'.

Wow! Look in the mirror chum; left your thinking cap behind when you left England, did you?

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 20 Mar 2020 13:41

For certain lockdown came as a shock for both tourists and residents here. Saturday evening an announcement was made saying "from immediate effect" no time to make other arrangements. From this week all hotels must close and tourist accommodation too. So where do all these holiday makers go. Airlines are bringing in empty planes to take them back. The pressure is NOT financially on the government.

Don't believe all you read in the papers.

Be warned and be ready it could happen to you at any moment

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 20 Mar 2020 14:13

Too long in the tooth to believe everything that anyone says or writes, TS, but the daily reports are something else, even if only a small portion were true.

I lived overseas for quite some time but was always aware of events. One thing my Dad said when I was young and travelling was 'Always keep enough in the bank so you can get home in emergencies - and not just the minimum.''

I expect the planes flying in to bring holidaymakers back are those with permission granted by governments both ends. No doubt the closures of hotels has panicked people but haven't the late-arrival holidaymakers been of the ostrich variety? We have known of this threat for a few months now. A friend and her OH threw caution to the wind and went to Spain for their usual six-week break earlier this year. They were back quick smart well before their time was up, by the way, but even once they decided to return they had to wait two days for a flight home.

Not at all sure that it could happen to me now at my age. I have dual nationality but I am already where I want to stay, TS. Now, if I were stuck in Italy ... or Spain ...

I am assuming that Spanish law applies to the Canaries and you are already in lockdown? It is coming here, sooner rather than later, but I like to think we are well-prepared - and hope we are.

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Mar 2020 14:16

I was interested to see today ( having been talking with brother about the IOM as a potentially good spot to be at the moment) that the first arrest for breaking self isolation rules, happened to someone who has gone over there ( they have cancelled the TT races by the way). https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-51974140

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 20 Mar 2020 14:24

Absolutely irresponsible Rose. :-0

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Mar 2020 14:59

I guess that the holiday makers who were in the Canaries, who probably arrived only one or two weeks ago had no awareness that they come under Spanish law. A lot of time in the past it has seemed that both Tenerife and Lanzarote (the only two islands with which we are familiar, have had their own laws, it is only when you have more extended stays and maybe outside hotels that you realise that Spanish law very much applies.

A lot of people do take extended holidays in the Canaries and maybe went there two or three months ago. It may well be those that have been caught out. There is a tendancy not to pay the high price for British newspapers and sometimes TV coverage is bad. So being kind, it may not have penetrated that they should return home.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 20 Mar 2020 15:26

Well said Ann, and I personally think that lockdown with out warning was the right thing to do, regardless of the cost to our government. The longer you wait the more chance there is of the virus spreading. I am pleased that I am here and not in the Uk but I do worry for my children and their families who are in the UK. we speak everyday. I have encouraged them to be well prepared because until you are in this position you can' t fairly judge other people that are

Look after yourselves Ann and T. Take care, talk soon xxxx

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 20 Mar 2020 15:31

My son is stuck in Cuba at the moment but the Guatemalan embassy is trying to get him home via Mexico.

Keep your fingers crossed please

Sue

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 20 Mar 2020 15:35

spaffing up the wall
https://tinyurl.com/tspsm8z

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 20 Mar 2020 15:40

I hope Guatamala succeeds.

My cousin's child is back and forth between Central American countries as part of her job but knocked that on the head a short while ago. As she said, better to be at home at the moment.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Mar 2020 15:43

Sue fingers crossed. So pleased James is in UK.

Wendy thanks we are being mostly good, did go to get our hair cut this morning but were not out long and not many people about. a fair few of our age group seem to be oblivious of the request to stay home to over 70s. I think maybe you are right and there should be a move for us to go into lockdown. If nothing else it would encourage the millennials who seem not to be taking it seriously (would you believe in London they are holding coronavirus parties?) to see that the rest of us are serious. And that they are as likely to get it as anyone else. You stay safe as well xx

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 20 Mar 2020 15:45

JoyLouise he had this holiday booked as a Xmas gift, they closed airports so fast he couldn't rearrange homebound travel. His next option is via Belize!!!!

Travelling on his Guate passport should help.

x

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 20 Mar 2020 15:59

Ann, I think you are right. Some people don't have a clue about countries they're visiting and a lot of them would not be aware that Spain's first cv case was in late- January in the Canaries.

Also it does not surprise me that some people haven't a clue that Canaries are Spanish islands so naturally Spanish law prevails. Geography not everybody's subject of choice!

I also agree about lockdown without warning TS. It is too slow coming here.

Also, Rollo, ..... see last para.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 20 Mar 2020 16:03

Such a shame that his trip was curtailed, Sue. I hope he makes the journey again in safer times and enjoys it thoroughly.

x

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 20 Mar 2020 16:42

Copied from a friend:
The reality of the Spanish shutdown, including Tenerife.
"So for friends in the uk that are hearing about what is happening over here in Spain and tenerife. This is the reality...
Yes we are in total quarantine... What does that mean?
*Well everything is closed apart from pharmacies, supermarkets, petrol stations. Tabacs (only in Spain)
*All bars and restaurants and shops are closed.
*We are not allowed to leave the house unless it's to buy food or an emergency.
*We are not allowed more than 1 person in a car.
*We are only allowed to walk our pets within 50 metres of our house and a quick walk on your own.
*We are not allowed to just take a walk or a bike ride to get fresh air
*All childrens outdoor parks are closed. Beaches are closed.
*In supermarkets you cannot enter unless you are wearing gloves and put sanitizer on. They are provided at the door
*At the pharmacy tape 2m apart outside door, only one person can enter at a time and only go 1m away from the counter
*The majority of people have suddenly found themselves with no work
*In supermarkets and queues we have to stay in single file with a 2 meter distance between each person.
*Many hospital appointments have been cancelled
*There are hefty fines if you do not abide by the rules.
This is saving lives!"

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 20 Mar 2020 16:57

Pretty fair, I'd say Sue.

It surprises me 'one in a car at a time' - with no qualification as to relationship between them?

We have entered self-isolation already because of OH's health but when speaking with our daughter, saying we thought we could both pop in the car and drive to (not from!) the cliff tops, take a picnic and park away from any other vehicle (not difficult because there are never many there and it's a huge area), she came back with 'You'll feel right divvies when a police car pulls up alongside you and orders you home!'

She's right!

I am surprised that they've stipulated 50m for a dog walk and dumbfounded that they're allowing a quick walk on your own! 50 m seems too long and what do they define as a quick walk on your own, I wonder, unless it's to shop for essential items?

It'll be interesting to see what Boris & Co come up with.