General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Covid

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phyll

Phyll Report 5 Jun 2020 14:49

Stay in, go out. meet family, don't meet family. What the hell is one supposed to be doing!

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 5 Jun 2020 14:52

Just use your common sense NOT LIKE the Government.

They don't know what they are doing.

Island

Island Report 5 Jun 2020 15:04

Do the opposite of what Bozza says and Cummings does and you will be safe.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Jun 2020 15:07

Like staying at home.

One newspaper is reporting that the R rate is 1 in the north west and south west.

With all the idiots that massed at the seaside and beauty spots, coupled with this weeks marches I think the rates will go up all over the country..

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 5 Jun 2020 15:32

anybody posting here not vote for Boris in December?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Jun 2020 15:38

It appears you can now go out if you're vulnerable, or stay at home.
I presume that depends on your wish to stay alive.

You can meet people in your garden, as long as you stay 6ft apart, but you can't use the loo. This, I believe is limited one person from another household.
No advice on whether you can accept a cup of tea or biscuit.

No relations or friends are allowed in your house, but nannies, cleaners, painters & decorators, potential buyers, and engineers etc for yearly services, uncle Tom Cobbley and all CAN come into your house.

Your children can go to school, or not. Depends on their age, and whether the school is open.

Finally, after many horses have bolted, we should wear a mask on public transport - unless we have breathing problems.

Now a full horse race has passed by - people will be quarantined when they fly in from less affected countries.
Talking of horse racing - this essential staple of our lives is restarting very soon!.

You can drive wherever you like, and exercise. This is important for spreading Covid equally around the country. Some remote areas haven't had enough.
The Government also advises cycling or walking - that way you can pant and puff much harder and affect more innocent passers by.

Don't forget your second home. DO NOT visit it (even though you can drive as far as you want), unless you haven't registered it with the council and haven't paid council tax. If you pay council tax on any of your properties, you are forbidden to visit them.

If you think your eyesight is bad, a Government aide recommends a drive to Barnard Castle. The PM agrees with this.

I think that covers it. Please add if you can think of any more! :-D :-D :-D :-D

Island

Island Report 5 Jun 2020 15:52

He isn't my local MP so no, I didn't vote for him.
Did I vote tory? again, no.

But the thread isn't about who did or didn't vote for Boris.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Jun 2020 15:53

RTR - This is a *checks notes* genealogical site.

How people voted has bugger all to do with you, and your strive for 'one-upmanship'.

You can vote for a party, you can stand for a party - but when you berate people for not voting the way you do - it's rather pathetic on a non-political site..
Playing the smug bar steward is hardly likely to enamour people is it?

Edit: Before you make wrong assumptions (again) , when I joined the Civil Service (dealing with secret documents) I was asked if I was a member of the Communist Party.
'No', I said, 'I'm a member of the WRP' - and they took me on :-D

When I grew up (or tbh got fed up with them) I left.

Island

Island Report 5 Jun 2020 15:56

I think he was trying to be ironic Maggie. - It's pretty obvious that some of us didn't vote for Boris.

To be fair Maggie, how many threads on this board are about genealogical matters?
This one isn't.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Jun 2020 15:59

Hmm - I think he was just being smug. Irony isn't one of his 'talents'

Island

Island Report 5 Jun 2020 16:01

Rollo, cooee, were you being ironic or just smug?
Answers on a p/c please. :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 5 Jun 2020 16:02

I believe you can attend a barbeque in someone's garden, provided you keep your distance and wash your hands.
Where?.... At the outside tap?

Might have to do without a drink though, for fear of needing the toilet.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Jun 2020 16:06

I hadn’t realised that this virus could distinguish which way you voted in the past. I’m sure this hadn’t been taken into account by any research ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Jun 2020 16:17

Too true Gwyn :-S :-S

Strange, isn't it, nameslessone.

I read today that bald men are more prone to covid.
......that'll teach them to go bald!! :-D :-D
It didn't mention bald ladies though.

Island

Island Report 5 Jun 2020 16:29

We aren't allowed to have sex with anyone from a different household.
We cannot go into houses which are not our homes.
So sex with members of same household is ok in our own gardens? :-S :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Jun 2020 16:39

Sounds like it! :-D :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 5 Jun 2020 16:48

Driving to meet family at the sheltered accommodation but in the that garden etc is probably a no no or is it a yes yes. :-(

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 5 Jun 2020 16:53

The more I read this thread, the more glad I am that I don't live in England!! :-) :-)

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 5 Jun 2020 16:57

Well my distant cousin, Wales' 1st Minister Mark Drakeford, has announced that we the Shielded Group of Wales have to be shielded for another 10 weeks. That will make 24 weeks for myself and OH.

He has made the welcome change in that we can now go outside for unlimited exercise daily and even meet up with members of one other household as long as we adhere to the strictest of Social Distancing.

We had our 1st time out last Monday. It felt very strange I must admit!
But it did feel good to breathe the fresh air and stretch our legs once more!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Jun 2020 16:58

Confusion all round, Andy's mum :-D

Even the Government are contradicting themselves :-S :-S :-S