General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

*********Covid19**********

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbra

Barbra Report 22 Sep 2020 11:56

I am sick & tired of news reports 're students having last night out before curfew of 10pm they are a disgrace woman with barely any clothes on lying on the floor drunk they are disgusting are they aware that this Covid could kill thousands of people it's not just them I have been to a supermarket near me no staff on the door you put £1 coin in no wipes or spray for trollies the virus it could be spread so easily I don't want to go out because of selfish people .when will humans act as they should. really fed up today God help us Barbara

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 22 Sep 2020 13:10

Go to Waitrose then , trolleysl asepticised, no £1 coin needed.
Or Tesco (free mask ) or JS ...

pay per money and take yer choice

Consumption of alcohol by people under 25 has dropped a lot in the last five years whereas 40-60 has become a big problem. Drunken people making fools of themselves are much better tv than those just having a quiet drink. Don't believe all you see on the news and Channel5.

Barbra

Barbra Report 22 Sep 2020 13:25

No Waitrose near me .I do watch the news BBC & see young people Newcastle ..Manchester .Glasgow ...make a fool of themselves on the floor in doorways. the parents must be so proud .or are they drinking as well .Children learn from example. If we all pull together & take notice of rules maybe life will be more tolerable .me just now I feel like a prisoner with no end to Covid 19

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Sep 2020 13:26

That is bad Barbra that there was no sanitizer and also that you still had to put a coin in for the trolley. which supermarket was that? We went to tesco wipes and hand sanitizer and trolley sanitizer available, very few people in there and staff behind perspex shields.

I see the latest in England anyway is retail staff must now wear masks.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Sep 2020 13:27

I was stood at the bus stop this morning - 6ft away from old George. We were both waiting to catch the bus home.
George had his mask under his chin.
He started moaning about the number of young people walking by, not wearing masks.
I laughed and pointed out that there a few 'oldies' too - and reminded George that he wasn't wearing his mask either, and, like me, hadn't worn it when he was walking :-D

We got on the bus - Grace got on with her walker, and no mask , and sat at the front, in an aisle seat. George, with his mask on now, sat in the opposite aisle seat, about a foot away, chatting to her. :-S

I (masked) walked to the back of the bus.

Barbra

Barbra Report 22 Sep 2020 13:35

It was Aldi only get dog food .cleaning stuff toilet rolls main shop on line Asda.Morrisons .the staff have masks & screens round checkout .only go once a week but they need telling .Barbara

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Sep 2020 13:46

Interesting couple of interviews on the news. Young man saying that curfew is too lenient and stricter measures should be in place and some old biddy saying to not take any precautions but just go out and catch it.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 22 Sep 2020 13:51

So, Barbara, did you tell them?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 22 Sep 2020 13:54

Just watched that too, Sharron.

I hope the oldie doesn't learn the hard way. :-0

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 22 Sep 2020 13:55

Then tell them Barbara. Write to the chief exec. and voice your disappointment in his company.

Please don’t tar all youngsters with the same brush. There are stupid risk takers and people who stick to the rules in all age groups.

I use the shops as little as possible but everywhere in this area seems well organised and hygiene conscious. In any case I think my safety is my responsibility as much as anyone else’s and when I go out I take a bag with me containing masks, hand gel, antiseptic wipes, disposable gloves and some sheets of kitchen roll so I am prepared if stuff isn’t provided. I’ve never had to use most of it.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Sep 2020 14:05

Our nearest Aldi has a traffic-like system at the entrance. If there are a certain number of customers in the store, the red traffic light will indicate that one must queue until the green light shows people have left the shop and there is space to enter.

People do use coins or tokens for the trolley, but as we never go anywhere without a small bottle of sanitiser, we don't find that a problem.
If we touch ANYTHING anywhere we use sanitiser before getting back in the car.

We choose a quiet time to shop. I would guess there were about 6 to 8 customers in Aldi in total, when we last went.
All staff were working with a very 'aware' manner.

Barbra

Barbra Report 22 Sep 2020 14:21

Just rung Aldi customer service they are aware of changes .they will make sure the staff on the door are putting sanitiser on trolleys you do have to keep your distance wear masks .as we do you can only use cards not cash at checkout .it was just the issue going in the store the staff are very friendly obliging see what happens it's for their safety also Barbara .

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 22 Sep 2020 14:34

Good for you Barbara :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Sep 2020 14:40

Worst thing here in Winchester are the tourists! :-(
They seem to think, no matter how narrow the pavement, they can walk as many abreast as they want.
Then there are the ones taking photo's, walking back and forth across the pavement, for the 'best' picture.
...and those ambling along zig-zagging across the pavement 'Look at this! Look at that!'
I walk into town - and want to get my exposure to others' over as quickly as possible, not have to stop every few yards behind these people, until the road is clear(ish) and then risk life & limb to get in font of them.

Oh - and cyclists in the pedestrianised area - what fun to dodge them as they come flying down the hill, or, on the flat bit, cycle between pedestrians who are trying to keep 6ft apart.
Has no-one told them it's possible to walk with a bike?

One of the reasons I wear a mask in town, is so I can mouth obscenities at these people, and no-one can see me :-D

Barbra

Barbra Report 22 Sep 2020 14:41

Thanks :-) its not all young people know that .we all need to keep safe try & beat this awful covid 19. Barbara .Maggie :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Sep 2020 15:26

Trouble is Maggie you do live in a beautiful city and people are enjoying it. I have been a tourist there, with my camera but not during Covid of course. It is difficult though I realise that when you are going about your normal life. They are obviously not thinking. I don't wear a mask walking down the street but I did in town because of the number of people. Our bus driver stopped a man getting on the bus until he had put his mask on, which he did.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 22 Sep 2020 15:42

I used to work in Winchester and it used to amuse me in the summer to hear the American tourists say things like "We did Wells this morning, now we're doing Winchester and later we're going to London." :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Sep 2020 15:48

Ann, I realise they're enjoying it - but they should enjoy it with care, and consideration! :-D :-D

Actually, it's not half as bad as when we used to get hoards of foreign students.
They'd block the pavement in the Broadway (where buses go from), and many a person missed their bus :-(

Andysmum - :-D :-D :-D
..and then there's the odd one who asks where they are, and who the statue is of :-S :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Sep 2020 15:56

Well we used to laugh at German tourists in America when we were there (as tourists of course as well). we would be at a tourist 'place' reading everything of interest that was on display and taking photos and generally having a good walk around. Some of them would zoom in in their hire cars, open the window, lean out, take a photo, shut the window and drive off.

I think if visiting Winchester it would take more than a day to see it all, we did visit more frequently when daughter lived in the area and when I was a young child my Mum would often take me there from Fareham on the bus but when we visited a couple of years ago and stayed a couple of nights we wandered all round and actually saw places we had not seen before. we were there with a group of friends and one of them had a friend who was a guide in Winchester so she took us round, it was really interesting, learnt a lot..

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 22 Sep 2020 16:10

I think the problem for most of the Americans is that it is a once in a lifetime trip to the UK and they want to see as much as possible.

Like the film "It's Tuesday so it must be Belgium". :-D :-D