General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Are you ready?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 Nov 2020 12:23

With 6 weeks left before brexit becomes reality UK Govt is in a panic sending out "Check Change Go" notices to all SMEs to "be ready" for the new rules. The warnings (by post) omit the awkward fact that nobody knows what the new rules will be! The two chief protagonists are in covid exclusion for the next week.

The possibility of different rules in N.I. is at last conceded. Due to these new rules J Sainsbury and others will cease trading in NI 2 Jan 2021 unless they get some kind of hard facts from UK Gov. ROI retailers sense an opportunity.

70% of UK trade with the EU is not in physical goods but services, finance, media and other intangibles. Rather than get into a fight with Priti Patel's overbearing Home Office by far the easiest solution is to move the head office to the EU and ditto most employment. As the tide of covid goes down thanks to the vaccines the extensive damage to UK employment will become all too clear.

And then what ? Maybe Caroline has the answers.

:-|

Dermot

Dermot Report 21 Nov 2020 20:34

I expect to wake up shortly from this nightmare dream. :-S

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 Nov 2020 21:58

The darkest hour is just before dawn.

Caroline

Caroline Report 22 Nov 2020 00:52

LOL well if you don't know the answer Rollo is it worth knowing.......

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 22 Nov 2020 08:30

Like you Rollo, I was anti-B, but now I've given up on the whole shebang. It's probably an age thing as a couple of my siblings, also long-retired, are feeling the same and we were always a political family. We have mellowed in our seventies.

There is a 'however' though! Boris's lack of consistency, clear and joined-up thinking scares the bejesus out of me. I hope he heeds the advice of the wise and experienced rather than simply winging it which is what he is prone to doing.

Porous borders work both ways and some affected parties realise that - I hope!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 22 Nov 2020 09:25

I doubt that there will be much in the way of seasonal mellowness as brexit starts to bite whether in hard mode or off the cliff.

Some Tories are suggesting that Scots IndieRef2 could be run on the basis of (1) general principal (2) detailed negotiations, draft agreement put to the electorate. Pity they didn't do the same for brexit.

How on earth are businesses supposed to prepare for a deal that hasn't been made and so far as any of the text is agreed it remains a secret?

Covid-19 should be a fading nightmare within a year. Brexit will be something that just goes on taking. Being bored with it will not change that. 'cos of the extension very few people have had any real exposure to brexit so far - mainly those in business and EU citizens.

They are in for a shock. Brussels is well prepared unlike the amateurish Robert Frost, Gove and Johnson.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/european-union-and-united-kingdom-forging-new-partnership/future-partnership/getting-ready-end-transition-period_en

Dermot

Dermot Report 22 Nov 2020 09:32

If Brexit finally goes ahead, how do we celebrate/mark the event? Not another bank holiday surely? :-P

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Nov 2020 09:52

The Government have already allocated £120 million for a festival in 2022.
They allegedly can't afford to feed children, or give essential workers a pay rise, but CAN afford to pay for this. Though, how people will be able to afford to attend it, is beyond me.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/12/festival-of-brexit-boss-120m-event-will-prove-cynics-wrong-martin-green

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 22 Nov 2020 10:09

Bread and circuses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frE9rXnaHpE