General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death records

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kay

Kay Report 10 Feb 2021 23:46

Could anyone point me in the right direction to look at quite recent deaths please.

I'm really just wanting to check on whether a couple of old neighbours of mine might have died, as I suspect they may have done so by now.

I left the area in 2006 but heard from them for a couple of years after that, then nothing. Don't know if they went into residential care or passed away.

What year would be the most recent on any given sites?

Thanks in advance.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Feb 2021 23:56

I think the GRO is the best place to look. They have some records up to 2019:-

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp

Kath. x

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Feb 2021 00:02

Are they still on the electoral lists for that address?

You can check on this site, by going to SEARCH, top right of screen, then click on Search all records, then select the electoral list section.

If they are not on the lists for the known address, they may still be there, but chosen not to be on the openly available list.

Actual death records are a bit hit and miss. My father-in-law died in 2013 is still not listed although some later deaths are.

You could try a Google search of the neighbours' names.
This might show up an obituary if they have sadly died.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 11 Feb 2021 07:54

I found my old neighbours death by looking in her local paper's announcement section online. Family and friends had put in messages in the death column. This was after we didn't get our usual Christmas card a couple of years ago.

Island

Island Report 11 Feb 2021 09:00

Kay,
Two more to try - both free to search.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

https://funeral-notices.co.uk/national

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 11 Feb 2021 13:46

So pleased about the reversal of census decision, Rollo.

Which bright spark thought of doing away with them. Even more to the point, perhaps, what did he or she want to hide about his/her family?

It's my curiosity and my doubting Thomas rearing their heads!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 11 Feb 2021 13:53

I've tried the deaths site you directed us to, Rollo, but neither my Mum's nor my Mother-in-law's deaths are recorded there so it may not yet cover every part of England.

Island

Island Report 11 Feb 2021 14:13

Joy, my mum predeceased dad by three years in the same place. Dads record is on both FMP and Ancestry, mothers is on neither - strange that.... :-S
Both are recorded on the GRO site.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 11 Feb 2021 14:27

It is strange, Island.

I am beginning to wonder whether only a few registrars' records have yet been done? I am going to check on my aunt who lived in a different region.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 11 Feb 2021 14:35

Nope, now checked five regions and none of them is on any records. No aunts or cousins appearing.

Durham, Liverpool, Dorset, Devon and Tyne & Wear; so I hope you're not looking in those areas, Kay.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 11 Feb 2021 14:36

Some time ago I came across this when someone asked this on another forum.

They had to rely on public announcements, possibly a rights of publication issue. Being able to identify the actual person could mean some have to be missed off.

Island

Island Report 11 Feb 2021 14:43

Which post are you replying to Pat? :-S

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 11 Feb 2021 14:46

The deaths only some and not all later deaths being on Ancestry and FMP.

I always go to GRO.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 11 Feb 2021 14:57

I use GRO a lot, as I expect Island does too.

It's one of the best go-to sites because in the case of births, especially, it gives the mmn (or not in the case of a child born to an unwed mother) it is useful to find out which John Smith is the one you want. :-D

Island

Island Report 11 Feb 2021 16:43

The whole thread is about deaths Pat :-S :-D
No one has given any years - unless by pm of course.

Joy, I mainly use the GRO to check mmn's, as there's only a two year window either way it would be a faff if the birth year is unknown. I don't usually use it for deaths as I find 'Find A Will' quite useful - not all went to probate though of course.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 11 Feb 2021 16:55

This one is from Ancestry (names changed )

Name: Mrs Bouquet
Birth Date: xx xxx 1921
Last Residence: xxxxx xxxxx, England
Postal Code District: BH
Death Date: dd ddd 2017

the trick is to keep the query as open as poss rather than precise.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 11 Feb 2021 17:17

Rollo gave years 2006/7. My mother's death in 2005 is not on Ancestry or FMP but you can find it on GRO.

On a forum about a year ago someone stated some more recent deaths are on whilst others weren't.

A person answered that they thought the reason for this was some people could be identified from death announcements/obituaries so could be added. The person believed there was a rights problem so when something went into the public domain such as announcements in a newspaper the deaths could put on Ancestry or FMP.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 11 Feb 2021 18:02

My mother died 13 years ago (January). So I thought I’d have a go....

I cannot find her death on Ancestry.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 11 Feb 2021 18:08

Ancestry use FreeBMD for E&W gro records up to 2007.
Their version is more complete than the web site BUT both versions have large gaps esp post 1970.
They often supplement this with church records and burials. etc.

Island

Island Report 11 Feb 2021 18:11

same here names, but dad, 3 years later is listed.