General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

IRISH HELP - WHAT TO DO NEXT......

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 14 Apr 2005 13:17

My problem is that my GG Grandparents probably did not marry (no record) and were born in Ireland around 1855 - 1857. They were in Liverpool England in 1877 where their first child was born (and claimed they were married). How can I find out when they came to England? Can't find them in England 1871 census - and have no idea where they are from in ireland. Without a marriage cert I have no way of knowing their fathers etc. Can anyone give me any advice on how to find out more: 1) when they came to England 2) How can I find electoral registers aroudn this time and what years were they in? 3) If I have no idea where they were from in Ireland and who their parents are - it is impossible to find their birth..... Feeling really fed up now as I can not get further back..... Help? Thanks, Nicola

Joy

Joy Report 14 Apr 2005 13:29

when I get home I shall look for the name / address, whatever of the person in Ireland who found the marriage certificate of my great-grandparents who married in Turlough in 1876. Please message me if I forget! Joy

Nicola

Nicola Report 14 Apr 2005 15:17

Joy, Someone tried to find the marriage for me in Ireland but can not find it. I assume therefore that they did not marry! Nicola.

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Apr 2005 15:21

Im also very stuck with my Irish side....LDS has helped with some queries though, i found a baptism just by putting the name in, it was more luck than anything. Some times the surname is popular in an area of Ireland as well. Whats the surnames? If you give me what detail you have, ill talk to my mum who is very good at helping. Donna

Nicola

Nicola Report 14 Apr 2005 15:33

Hi there, Thanks for your note. The surnames are Trainor/Traynor and Hillen. Any advise or help would be wonderful.... Thanks, Nicola

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Apr 2005 15:34

I'll talk to mum and see what we can get for you. Donna x

Joy

Joy Report 14 Apr 2005 16:26

Oh, that's a pity, Nicola! Joy

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Apr 2005 18:29

Willian Traynor birth 1854 Kilkenny Ireland Ill keep looking though. Donna

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 14 Apr 2005 18:32

all's I can thunk of is could be mistranscribed on census due to their accents. or might of married in Ireland

Paul

Paul Report 15 Apr 2005 08:18

Don't forget that BMD registration did not start here until 1864, unles it was a non-catholic marriage (1845) Paul

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 15 Apr 2005 08:22

If anyone can help with Irish rellies I woul be very grateful. I have Mary Ann Thornburry listed as being born 1851 Kilkenny on all census returns. I cannot find a birth record. I have now found a marriage for Nov 1870 and have the certificate with her father named as Thomas Thornberry. If anyone has magical powers, please use them!! Many thanks, Jacky :-)

Anne from Scotland

Anne from Scotland Report 15 Apr 2005 09:09

Hi I am also stuck with my Irish side of the family. My g g grandparents - I got there names from their son's wedding certificate (he married in Scotland) JOHN DURKAN and CATHERINE CLARK. The only thing I know about them is that they were from Mayo. Joy I would appreciate the name of the man who helped you trace a wedding certificate. Anne

Treetective

Treetective Report 15 Apr 2005 09:30

Although Trainor/Traynor appears in various parts of Ireland, in the Primary Valuation property survey of 1848-64, the only occurence of the surnames Trainor and Hillen in the same area is in Belfast city. For Traynor and Hillen, these appear together in Belfast City, Armagh and Down. Hope this is of help. The name Hillen on it's own only appears in Antrim, Armagh, Belfast city and Down (ie does not appear in Southern part of Ireland).

Diane

Diane Report 15 Apr 2005 09:33

hi, i know how you feel i have been stuck on my g-g-grandfather for about a year he was born in ireland and went to india with the army then got discharged over there and went to Austrilia where he married and lived out his years. As far as i no he was born in 1838 near county Armagh. So as i was stuck i thought i would start on his wifes family and guess what her mother was irish so im at a dead end.

Joy

Joy Report 15 Apr 2005 09:34

http://www.nationalarchives.ie/genealogy/researchers.htm Have you tried this website? Joy

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 15 Apr 2005 09:41

Does it not say on a later censu which part of Ireland??? I know of Traynor rellies In Northern Ireland which goe with what has been said... County Fermanah, Enniskillen. BUT my details are very very vague

Treetective

Treetective Report 15 Apr 2005 09:42

Although beyond the timescale of your Trainor/Hillen marriage, in 1884 or 1885, an Alexander Hillen married a Sarah Traynor in the Londonderry area.

Treetective

Treetective Report 15 Apr 2005 09:53

Anne from Scotland. Don't know if this is of help. The South Mayo Family Research Centre probably have access to birth details for the following births: John Durkin 1837 John Durkan 1866, 1871, 1877, 1879, 1882, 1884, 1888, 1891 John Durcan 1891 John Durken 1896 John Edward Durcan 1896 John Joseph Durkan 1899 Their contact details are: E-Mail : [email protected] Website : http://mayo.irish-roots.net/ Haven't looked to see how much they charge.

Anne from Scotland

Anne from Scotland Report 15 Apr 2005 10:01

Joy thanks I will try that website.

Anne from Scotland

Anne from Scotland Report 15 Apr 2005 10:03

Margaret thanks for that. My g grandfather PATRICK DURKAN was born 1894 so the 1837, 1866 or 1871 JOHN DURKAN could possibly be his dad. how do you get access to the Irish census? thanks for your help. Anne