Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Australian connections

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

k

k Report 16 Nov 2013 19:54

I am looking for any one who is related to John Henry Holdsworth and his sister Mary (children of Charles and Marjorie), who left England after WW2 and went to Australia. The contact was lost with them and all we know is that they were thought to have married

jax

jax Report 16 Nov 2013 22:24

The only marriage of a Charles Holdsworth to a Marjorie was in 1943 and they did not have children with those names

When were any of them born and where please?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Nov 2013 22:55

Roughly when were they born?

'After WW2' is a bit vague......................when were you last in touch?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Nov 2013 23:22

Also posted on Find Ancestors

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1334122

Please, k, one post per topic.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 17 Nov 2013 01:57

There was a marriage of a John Henry Holdsworth and Dorothy May O'Brien in 1951 in Burwood NSW Australia.

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/Index/IndexingMarriage.cgi?

There are death notices for them in 1983 (Dorothy May aged 56) and 2003 (John Henry aged 76). They were living in Lakemba. You can see the basic info here and there are instructions for requesting copies of the death notices.

http://ryersonindex.net/

Because the death was after 1982 it is not in the index on line and only the certificate or death notice would confirm that this was the right John (born about 1927, but the closest birth in the GRO index in England was registered in early 1925).

There doesn't seem to be a marriage to fit Mary.

k

k Report 17 Nov 2013 05:27

John was born 1923 and Mary 1925

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 17 Nov 2013 16:25

There was no birth of a John H Holdsworth in England in 1923. The closest was a birth registered in Huddersfield district in the last quarter of 1922. And there was no Mary birth with the same mother's surname as that John. I don't see a John and a Mary Holdsworth born around those dates with the same mother's surname at all.

You can check these things here

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

You're very welcome.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 17 Nov 2013 16:52

There is a match on mother's surname for a Mary born 1925 and a John H born 1921 in North Bierley.

A Martha H Brook married a John M Holdsworth in North Bierley in early 1921 and would probably account for those births. (the bride is mistranscribed at freebmd so you have to find them separately showing they married each other)

Keep in mind that especially if his wife had long predeceased him the age shown at death in Australia might not be accurate, but again there is no way of knowing whether the death I referred to is the correct one without getting more information. A death notice would probably name children, and an NSW death certificate names spouse and children and parents, if they were known to the person registering the death.

a J H Holdsworth dob 1921 travelled to Fremantle Australia in 1948 ? a female Holdsworth initials JAM dob 1923 may have travelled with him but that sounds more like a married couple, possible marriage 1948 Upper Agbrigg district.

I guess this all doesn't really matter except for trying to get a fix on their personal details to know what to look for in Australia ..............

k

k Report 17 Nov 2013 17:37

John went to Australia as a single that we know. His parents were Herbert and Annie Goodman, Mary also went to Australia as a single

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 17 Nov 2013 17:56

"John Henry Holdsworth and his sister Mary (children of Charles and Marjorie)"

"His parents were Herbert and Annie Goodman"

So this has been a goose chase so far.
What can that possibly mean? How were a Goodman couple parents of a Holdsworth child I wonder? Or is that Herbert Holdsworth and Annie Goodman?

You're very welcome.

k

k Report 17 Nov 2013 18:38

John Henry Holdsworth and his sister Mary were children of Herbert Holdsworth and Annie Goodman.

Charles (John and Mary's brother) married Marjorie and they stayed in UK while John and Mary both went independently to Australia

jax

jax Report 17 Nov 2013 18:50

No children for Holdsworth and Goodman either

I did ask where they where from in England but you have not answered that

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 17 Nov 2013 18:55

and yet you said they were the children of Charles and Marjorie, k, and people wasted time on that.

Have you considered saying THANK YOU yet?

......... or even apologizing for giving the incorrect information ......... in two different threads ...........

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 17 Nov 2013 19:06

In any case, at least we know that Charles N Holdsworth married Marjorie Hare in Wharfedale in 1943 (I assume they are both deceased) ........... but only from more searching .............. to find something k could have told us i.e. Charles's full name .........

The mother's surname of the children was BROOK and the births were 1919, 1921 (NOT 1923) and 1925 in North Bierley, the ones I mentioned earlier. Possibly Annie was previously married and Brook was her name at birth and Goodman her first married name ...

Again, if you get more information about the John H Holdsworth death in NSW you will know whether that John is your person and you will know whether he had children and who they were. That is usually how to find people you are looking for.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 17 Nov 2013 19:13

Herbert N Holdsworth married Annie G BROOK in 1914.

Annie GOODMAN Brook was born in 1887.

So as I said ..... a J H Holdsworth dob 1921 travelled to Fremantle Australia in 1948 ..... so you may be needing to look for him in Western Australia although he may well not have remained there.

k

k Report 17 Nov 2013 20:26

Well spotted my mistakes! I was in a rush and muddled the names. The 1923 is a transcript error on his christening record as there is says born 1923 but yes he was born in fact in 1921!

I am away from my info at the moment but I have most of his ancestors, it is more of looking into where John and sister Mary went and what families they had etc and if any living relatives.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 17 Nov 2013 23:14

Best to have info to hand when posting and replying. We know you know the ancestors but that info can be useful and important for finding later info and it is unfair for people to be searching with the wrong info.

for instance: Death records in NSW are searchable (up to 1982) by the parents' given names so I was looking for parents with the wrong names.

(birth marriage death records in Australia are held separately for each state and only some are searchable on line, I happened to find that John Henry Holdsworth death in NSW in newspaper notices at the Ryerson Index site and still think it would be worth investigating)

k

k Report 18 Nov 2013 12:10

The John Henry Holdsworth is unlikely as it would mean his birth details are way out - this one is born 1927.

I found a mention of a John Henry Holdsworth in Curtin in West Australia in 1977 and 1980 electoral roll but cannot see who else is living there or any other details as don't have a subscription on Ancestry.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Nov 2013 13:22

Responding to the request for ER details with no superstition that it is the person whom k seeks

Australia, Electoral Rolls, 1903-1980 about John Henry Holdsworth
Name: John Henry Holdsworth
Electoral Year: 1980
State: Western Australia
District: Curtin
Subdistrict: Nedlands

From image
25 Portland St, Nedlands - Salesman
Other Holdsworth at the same address
Joyce Mary Holdsworth - home duties

Same details as above +
Janice Mary Irene Holdsworth - student

1972 - as 1977
1958, 1963 - as 1980

6MD Merredin, Northam – engineer
Only John Henry Holdsworth listed.
As the surnames are arranged alphabetically, there is no way of knowing if anyone else was living there

k

k Report 18 Nov 2013 15:54

Interesting to see who else lived there - now I need to find out how to get marriage details for this John Henry Holdsworth to see if he is the one I am looking for. Any ideas how this is possible as all the sites I looked at seem to suggest that cannot access marriages that were in last 70 or so years? So I am no nearer being able to prove if this is the chap from England