Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hoolihan/Houlihan

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kelzi

Kelzi Report 6 Sep 2017 10:18

Looking for ANY info on Pauline Houlihan (Hoolihan),possibly born in Liverpool in 1948?Mothers maiden name Cookson. Had a child in 1974-Craig Anthony Hoolihan.I'm unsure if she was married as I can't find a marriage (there's a few Paulines in Preston area in this timespan that possibly married Hoolihans) I've also a Sean Michael Hoolihan born in 1967 birth registered in Westmorland who could,quite possibly,be another son? Craig was born in Ulverston,birth registered in Kendal.
ANY info much appreciated.

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 Sep 2017 12:22

On both births the spelling is Hoolihan, ( mmn Hoolihan also so possibly indicates not married) so may not be the Houlihan born Liverpool? her parents marriage appears to be this one, again same spelling of surname

edited to remove details made irrelevant by new info added ( for privacy)

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 Sep 2017 12:56

Paul, making an assumption here, but if you have the original birth cert for Craig, is the address on it a house or hospital? Just wondering whether if the former the local electoral rolls may be of use, to see who was living there at the time?

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 Sep 2017 13:07

I know it's out of the area but there is also a Gary Hoolihan born 1972 in London, mmn Hoolihan who appears to have been adopted?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Sep 2017 14:29

There is always this birth which could be a possibility (although the spelling is different):-

England & Wales births 1837-2006 Transcription
Learn more

Print transcription View image
First name(s) PAULINE
Last name HOOLAHAN
Birth year 1953
Birth quarter 1
Registration month -
Mother's last name Garnett
District Liverpool South
County Lancashire
Country England
Volume 10D
Page 1002
Record set England & Wales Births 1837-2006
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records

And possibly her parent's marriage:-

First name(s) VINCENT
Last name HOOLAHAN
Marriage quarter 3
Marriage year 1947
Registration month -
MarriageFinder™ VINCENT HOOLAHAN married
Eleanor Garnett
Spouse's last name Garnett
District Liverpool South
District number -
County Lancashire
Country England
Volume 10D
Page 1348
Record set England & Wales Marriages 1837-2005

Kath. x

patchem

patchem Report 7 Sep 2017 08:07

You have said that her mother's maiden name was Cookson.

These are the only 2 births for 1948:
Births Dec 1948 
Houlihan  Pauline mmn  Cookson  Liverpool N.  10d 552
 Nolan  Pauline mmn  Cookson  Amounderness  10b 51

or possibly this if not 1948:
Births Sep 1947
Maden  Pauline A mmn  Cookson  Haslingden  10c 416

Kelzi

Kelzi Report 10 Sep 2017 09:50

Now looking for ANY info on a possible sibling of Craig Hoolihan,he MAY of had a brother-Sean Michael Hoolihan,born 1968.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Sep 2017 11:20

These are the only Sean Michael births I can see (I can't find a Sean Michael registered in Westmorland - can you give the details please):-

First name(s) SEAN MICHAEL
Last name HOULAHAN
Birth year 1967
Birth quarter 1
Registration month -
Mother's last name Lester
District Norwich
County Norfolk
Country England
Volume 4B
Page 1278

or:-

First name(s) SEAN MICHAEL
Last name HOULIHAN
Birth year 1970
Birth quarter 2
Registration month -
Mother's last name Hibbert
District Bristol
County Gloucestershire
Country England
Volume 7B
Page 366

Kath. x

Rambling

Rambling Report 10 Sep 2017 11:35

The birth is not coming up on fmp, but is on freebmd Births Sep 1968 (>99%)
HOOLIHAN SEAN MICHAEL HOOLIHAN WESTMORLD S 1B 732

for ref the birth is listed on FMP but has been mistranscribed as Hooley ( the name above it )

Rambling

Rambling Report 10 Sep 2017 11:54

Paul, I asked before but do you have the address given on birth cert? it may help to know.

There are no obvious marriages in the Hoolihan name, ( I checked British consular list also on FMP) given the names I think it's likely you need to consider the mother came over from Ireland.

edited to remove incorrect name given by OP, for privacy.

Rambling

Rambling Report 10 Sep 2017 12:16

I keep coming back to this one , only on the initials but I think his birth was overseas 1942, so maybe military? It gives name as Padraig Scan ( Sean? mistranscription) Michael...

Hoolihan Padraic S M — — 1977 England & Wales Marriages 1837-2005 Maidstone, Kent, England

Just the vaguest of possibilities that he had been married before to the boys' mother?

Flip

Flip Report 10 Sep 2017 12:18

You say Craig was born in Ulverston, but registered in Kendal. However, births have to registered in the district of the birth and an Ulverston birth would have been registered at Ulverston, not Kendal. Like Nyx says an address might help - the ERs are all available at the Barrow library and could be searched.

Kelzi

Kelzi Report 10 Sep 2017 16:34

Craig-we've just discovered,was actually born in Whitehaven.(We've just applied for his birth certificate) He was Christened in Maryport around 11-13 months after his birth.His mothers name,we've been told,was Pauline.(Whitehaven,apparently,came under Kendal district .Seems strange as one's in Cumberland,the other Westmorland? Craig was adopted soon after birth & was given the name Justin Anthony Maguire.His adopted fathers name is Anthony.Up until last week,we had no record of his birth,but we've definitely got it now & awaiting the certificate.

Rambling

Rambling Report 10 Sep 2017 17:13

Paul, when you've got the cert it may give a better idea, maybe Pauline had a middle name that will be on there,

Flip

Flip Report 11 Sep 2017 07:34

By the time Craig was born the old counties of Cumberland and Westmorland had been incorporated into creating Cumbria - so all within the same county. However, a birth in Whitehaven would have been registered there not Kendal as it was a registration district until 2011. Let us know when the certificate arrives, hopefully the details will yield some more info.

Kelzi

Kelzi Report 11 Sep 2017 16:13

Arrr,yeah,1973 things altered.

Flip

Flip Report 11 Sep 2017 16:48

I assume you are working with Craig, so has he applied for his adoption file? - if not he should do so as there may well be more information than on his birth certificate. Father may also be mentioned, and there could be some history on his mother or siblings. This service is free, and by going through the motion of accessing this he would have got a free copy of his birth certificate.

Check out this site:

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records

If he fills in the application form saying he don't know birth details they will locate it for him supply a copy and advise on the agency/court arranging adoption and there he can find the location to access the adoption file. Only Craig can do this.

Otherwise, much of which you have uncovered is speculation, and not altogether accurate relating to his birth. Believe me, I've been there and know you can't afford to speculate - need to get as many hard facts as possible.

Also it was Aptil 1974 everything changed relating to Counties in this country.

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Sep 2017 17:44

Paul I can see via Google that you are helping someone, so as this is coming second hand as it were, can you please make sure that the person looking gives you all the info they have. It does seem that the Pauline from Liverpool is just a guess.

Kelzi

Kelzi Report 13 Sep 2017 09:42

Morning all,thank you all very much for your help,we've got the birth certificate (finally) & now seem to be getting somewhere.Craig was,in fact,born in Kendal (after being told originally he was born in Ulverston,& then the story changing to Whitehaven).He was born in Helme Chase Hospital,13th August 1974,to MAUREEN HOOLIHAN (not PAULINE,as we were originally told).There's no entry details for his father.Maureens address is given as 60,Broad Ings,Sandylands,Kendal.Birth was registered on the 28th August,1974.It has 'adopted' on the bottom of the certificate.We've received info that Maureen Hoolihan lived in Claife Close,Windermere c1972,prior to doing a house swap with the lady at 60,Broad Ings.The ladys daughter (Paula Bateson) has reliably informed us that she had a son-Sean,with her.She was last known of in Kendal in 2010.It's been said she moved away to Germany ? She's down as being born in Bombay,India,so maybe military connection?

Kelzi

Kelzi Report 13 Sep 2017 10:00

Maureen born 1946 in Bombay,St.Thomas.Maureen ALAGH Hoolihan.