Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Suggestion! Give the Team longer than a day

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Jan 2012 14:59

to fix the bugs and snags with the new tree!

Yes some of the problems are annoying, more for some than others...but nothing is perfect when it's newly introduced.

I am the first to complain about aspects of GR, but in this case maybe a little more patience and give the tech team time to work on it? :-D

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 20 Jan 2012 15:16

In general we are a very polite ,patient lot, it seems most people are annoyed that even more changes have been made before all the old problems have been sorted out.

{ and yes IGP I know all about where to post !]

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 20 Jan 2012 15:16

I think if GR found it necessary to change the format of our trees the least they could do was to give detailed instructions of how to navigate it. I find it very confusing!

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Jan 2012 15:27

Yes it would have been nice to give instructions at the same time or prior to changing the format. (or just a warning that it was coming!)

but having watched my son programming code for a comparatively simple site then I can sympathise with those who have to 'make something work' first time, sometimes the problems only show up afterwards...for example my tree is ok on google chrome but not on IE, maybe it is just hard to predict something like that..even for an expert?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 20 Jan 2012 15:41

The other thing for members to bear in mind, Rose, is that it is impossible to test with every single member tree on this site.

What may work perfectly well with your tree might not with mine, or vice versa, as the data is different. It isn't helped either with the fact that many trees have been uploaded by way of gedcom file some of which, I suspect, do not always comply with the standards that GR have implemented.

We used to get this issue after upgrades regularly when I worked with IT support - it is a fact of life. The way to deal with it is to report the specific details back for investigation and fixing, not to complain about generalities.

IanP

IanP Report 20 Jan 2012 16:22

Most people do not like change and most Genes sites do tend to ahng onto the old searches etc. I still use the old ancestry search and I do use both on the international Gene search, why can they not let us use the old format if we want.

I have been using this for nine years and its been great, I have had very few complaints with them. They have changed it before and it kept the basic layout. I am an experienced computer user and the new board looks ok, but I just don't like.

I will give a couple of weeks and see but I feel like just using my own software now. I owe much of my success has been down to Genes.

Ian P :-(

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 20 Jan 2012 18:27

i agree Rose, to many people ready to jump on the bandwagon rather than give it time,

your tree is a hobby, its not like it life or death,

i thnk a litle patience goes a long way, :-D and if you need to,,, conatct suport direct,

:-D

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 20 Jan 2012 18:32

Whenever GR make any change there are enough moans on here to fuel the first rocket to Pluto :-D :-D :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Jan 2012 19:48

Nudge because I am getting really narky that people are expecting perfection in one day.... I'm not patient by nature ( you can tell can't you!) but even I can wait longer than a day to see if something can be fixed or not.

Cheer up, if you can't add a dead rellie today ...they aren't going anywhere :-D

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 20 Jan 2012 19:59

ill bash my computer alright soon haha, but ot coz if the tree lolololol,

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Jan 2012 20:00

lol PP, son did that with the dvd player last week, works fine now ... second rule of the house, if it won't shift 'hit it with a hammer'.

philmoir

philmoir Report 20 Jan 2012 21:11

Not sure which thread to respond too. I've posted on the Announcements an update. We rolled back to the previous version to ensure that members can use the old tree over the weekend. We will continue to work on the new tree and hopefully release early next week with a stable platform.

My apologies to all members affected.
Phil Moir

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Jan 2012 21:58

Thankyou Phil :-D I like the new tree and appreciate all the hard work that is going in to trying to make it work for all :-)

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 20 Jan 2012 22:17

doesnt matter where you post Phil you will always get complaints,,,,,,,,,not of me tho :-)

Joy

Joy Report 20 Jan 2012 22:30

Thank you, Phil; I have always said that I have faith in you, have I not? :)

Joy

;-)

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 20 Jan 2012 23:14

Thanks, Phil.

I think the most alarming thing about the tree not working correctly is the potential for losing a lot of data, and people will naturally be anxious about this. I think there will be a lot of gedcoms being exported this weekend!

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 21 Jan 2012 12:50

why dont we give them a break

find summit else to do for a few days if the sites playing up
they are doing their best

without having to reply to hundreds
of moaning minnie emails and comments
give them time to fix it

a site this big is going to have problems end of

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 21 Jan 2012 13:21

Hear Hear....!

If tree data has been corrupted (which is most unlikely) then exporting gedcoms is a complete waste of time.

Come back if a few days when the tree display is working properly.

Alan

Alan Report 21 Jan 2012 13:23

I agree but surely basics like auto replies to acknowledgequeries would be a simple start. GR says we can go back to our old tree this weekend - can you ? 'cos I can't. Its put one of my relatives in the wrong place and given him a father who was not born until 2 years later!!! There is no way of amending this from my end. I am paying for this................? :-(

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 21 Jan 2012 13:52

my tree is there alan

where else can you have fun and do research
for less than a pound a month

i think even with the problems its still good value