Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

missing grandfather

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

poodles

poodles Report 6 Apr 2011 21:18

Fastyr mie, we are trying to find any information about my husbands Grandfather
who we believe may have been James E. Francis we believe he married my husbands grandmother Lucy Ann Wright in 1917 in Basford Nottinghamshire 2 years after my husbands mother was born. Lucy Ann had a son James known as Jim but we, can not find a birth certificate for Jim we are not sure wther his surname was Wright or Francis my mother-in-laws name was Charlotte Wright born 1915,in Calverton Nottinghamshire there is No fathers name on Charlotte's birth certificate just mothers maiden name given as Lucy Ann Wright, but on Charlotte's marriage certificate in 1934 the marriage was witnessed by the grooms father & a Lucy Ann Francis in basford Notts my husband thinks he can remember visiting people in Calverton & Basford Notts when he was a very young child but he can not remember who they were when Lucy Ann died around 1970 her name was once again Wright my mother-in law took all family secrets to the grave can anyone help us with this & is there devorce records anywere I could look at to see if james & lucy devorced ?? sorry letter so long Thankyou Colleen

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 6 Apr 2011 21:26

Name James E Francis
Year of Marriage 1917
Quarter of Marriage Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration District Basford
Registration County Nottinghamshire
Spouse's Surname Wright
Volume Number 7B
Volume Page 321

Spouse Match: James E FRANCIS married Lucy A WRIGHT

Name Lucy A Wright
Year of Marriage 1917
Quarter of Marriage Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration District Basford
Registration County Nottinghamshire
Spouse's Surname Francis
Volume Number 7B
Volume Page 321

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 6 Apr 2011 21:27

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page
Marriages Dec 1917
Francis James E Wright Basford 7b 321
Wright Lucy A Francis Basford 7b 321

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 6 Apr 2011 21:30

Did Charlotte have a brother please?

Name: James E Francis
Mother's Maiden Surname: Wright
Date of Registration: Jul Aug Sep 1918
Registration district: Basford
Registration county: Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire
Volume Number: 7b
Page Number: 458

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 6 Apr 2011 21:36

So perhaps more than 1 Francis / Wright marriage in the area?

Births Sep 1918 Francis James E Wright Basford 7b 458
Births Jun 1920 Francis James H Wright Basford 7b 520

Deaths Jun 1919 Francis James E 0 Nottingham 7b 316

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Apr 2011 21:38

Lucy Ann Wright
England and Wales Census, 1901
birth: 1896 — Calverton, Nottinghamshire
christening:
baptism:
death:
burial:
residence: 31 Mar 1901 — Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England
parents:
spouse:
child:
marriage:

record title: England and Wales Census, 1901
name: Lucy Ann Wright
event: Census
event date: 31 Mar 1901
relationship to head of household: Daughter
birthplace: Calverton, Nottinghamshire
record type: Household
registration district: Basford
sub-district: Arnold
ecclesiastical parish: Calverton St Wilfred'S
civil parish: Calverton
county: Basford, Arnold, Calverton, Nottinghamshire

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 6 Apr 2011 21:43

Where did Lucy die please?

Have you bought that marriage certificate to see if the father matches that on Lucy's birth certificate?

poodles

poodles Report 14 Apr 2011 21:33

hi rootgatherer I recieved the marriage certificate today for husbands grandmother Lucy Ann Wright & James Edwin Francis 1917 my husbands mother was born in 1915 & was given the surname Wright my husband always thought his grandmothers name was Lucy Ann Wright she always led us to believe her name was wright we didn't know she had ever been married although we did know she had a brother Jim But we thought his name was also Wright but we now know jim was named James Edwin Francis after his father so it came as a shock when we realized she was married But my husband can remember going to Calverton Notts as a child & he thinks he can remember the name Francis But didn't know where it came from we have been looking for death certificate for Lucy Ann Wright Not realizing it was Francis we think she died in Nottingham I am waiting for Lucy's birth certificate Lucy's father on marriage certificate was John Wright he was a bricklayer

Christine2

Christine2 Report 14 Apr 2011 21:46

Is this her death poodles?

Name: Lucy Ann Francis
Birth Date: 13 Feb 1896
Death Registration Month/Year: 1971
Registration district: Nottingham
Inferred County: Nottinghamshire
Volume: 3c
Page: 780

Oh yes, I see now - it fits with her birth -

Births Mar 1896
Wright Lucy Ann Basford 7b 260

Christine2

Christine2 Report 14 Apr 2011 21:50

Here she is in 1901 and her father John is a bricklayer -

Name: Lucy Ann Wright
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1896
Relation: Daughter
Father's name: John Wright
Mother's name: Mary Ann Wright
Where born: Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England

Civil parish: Calverton
Ecclesiastical parish: Calverton St Wilfred
County/Island: Nottinghamshire

Sub-registration district: Arnold
ED, institution, or vessel: 9
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 1
Household Members: Name Age
John Wright 38
Mary Ann Wright 37
Jane Eliz Wright 11
Joh Thomas Wright 9
Harry Wright 7
Lucy Ann Wright 5
Alice E Wright 3
Jack Wright 10 Months

poodles

poodles Report 15 Apr 2011 16:35

Thankyou everyone for all the help you have given us with my husbands grandparents Lucy Ann Wright & James E Francis But i have hit another problem
Yesterday I recieved Lucy Ann & James wedding certificate which had James father as George Francis (deceased)he was a bricklayer & Lucy's father as John Wright also a bricklayer. but today I have recieved Lucy Ann Wrights birth certificate which has William Wright down as her father he was a coal miner same date of birth Lucy Ann 's mother is Mary Ann but can not read her surname it looks like Wafeon or maybe Wateon sorry to trouble you all again but we were so happy we thought we were getting some where

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 16 Apr 2011 08:14

Could this be the marriage of the parents on that birth certificate?

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Marriages Jun 1883
Watson Mary Ann Basford 7b 201
Wright William Basford 7b 201

Here they are with their family in 1901

Name: Lucy A Wright
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1895
Relation: Daughter
Father's name: William Wright
Mother's name: Mary A Wright
Where born: Marepool, Derbyshire, England

Civil parish: Heanor
Ecclesiastical parish: Heanor
County/Island: Derbyshire

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image

Sub-registration district: Ilkeston
ED, institution, or vessel: 7
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 165
Piece: 3148
Folio: 18
Page Number: 27
Household Members: Name Age
William Wright 41 Coal Hewer Underground.
Mary A Wright 36
Charles Wright 16
Thomas Wright 14
Arthur Wright 12
Edward Wright 9
Evald Wright 7
Lucy A Wright 6
William Wright 2
Dorothy Wright 10 Months

So I don't think that is the birth certificate for your Lucy Ann. What do the others think please?

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 16 Apr 2011 08:38

So, we have 2 Lucy Ann Wrights born within a year of each other in the correct area.

Births Sep 1895 Wright Lucy Ann Basford 7b 186
Births Mar 1896 Wright Lucy Ann Basford 7b 260

There seems to be only one of them who married and this looks like the death of the other one.

Name: Lucy Ann Wright
Birth Date: 30 Jun 1895
Death Registration Month/Year: 1971
Registration district: Ilkeston
Inferred County: Derbyshire
Volume: 3a
Page: 1175

Dea

Dea Report 16 Apr 2011 09:07

Looks like you need the 1886 birth cert - was it the 1895 one that you ordered?

Dea x

EDIT - Apologies, I should have said that you need the 1896 cert (not 1886).

Dea x

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 16 Apr 2011 09:23

I agree, Dea I think that is what I would do - just to be certain. Although that death certificate ties in with the Lucy who married Mr. Frances, we don't KNOW (as far as I can make out) that that is the right Lucy Ann Wright (excuse the pun). Especially if Poodles thought that her Lucy never married. I think that the way to sort out which is which is if Poodles knows the district that her Lucy's death was recorded in.

EDIT

Sorry just re-reading the post Lucy Ann Francis was one of the witnesses at Charlotte's marriage. So the birth certificate is the wrong father but it is strange that the date of birth on it ties in with the death of Lucy Ann Francis

Dea

Dea Report 16 Apr 2011 10:06

We really need Colleen to come back and confirm which birth cert she ordered and what the exact date of birth was on there ( i.e. which death it matched with ).

Dea x

poodles

poodles Report 16 Apr 2011 20:02

Hi having computor problems so hope you don't recieve this message twice i sent for & recieved the birth & certificate of Lucy Ann Wright born 1885 which has the name of Lucy Ann's father as William Wright a coal miner & Mary Ann Wright maiden name Watson But on Lucy Ann's marriage certificate her fathers name is John Wright who was a bricklayer Lucy Ann had a daughter Charlotte in October 1915 there is NO fathers name on Charlottes birth certificate just Lucy Ann Wright Lucy Ann gave birth to a son James (Jim)we believe in1918 my husband thought Jim's name was also Wright But we now believe it was Francis, on August 25th 1934 Charlotte married George Perrin the grooms father Henry Perrin is on the marriage certificate but once again No father for Charlotte But Lucy Ann Francis name is there. my husband can remember his grandma well she was at our wedding & he can remember visiting Calverton Notts as a child & he has said the name Francis rings a bell for him but he couldn't remember where from he always knew his grandma as Wright he didn't know she had ever been married it came as a shock my husbands family took a lot of family secrets to the grave Unfortunately .We think Lucy Ann died in Nottingham ( we were living abroard with the army at the time & we only heard of her death about 2 hours before the funral so couldn't get there )but I think it was in 1971not long after Christmas thankyou all for all your invaluble help

Dea

Dea Report 16 Apr 2011 20:14

Yep ...

The Lucy Ann with father John who married James E Francis was the one who was born in 1896 !!

You have the wrong birth cert if you are following that Lucy Ann !!

You need the 1896 cert !!!

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 16 Apr 2011 20:21

Exact date of Lucy Ann's birth in 1895 please???

Dea x

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 16 Apr 2011 20:21

Yes, I quite agree you need the other certificate. Everything points to your Lucy Ann being the one married to Mr. Francis. I am still a little puzzle though that the actual date of birth of William's daughter Lucy (who looks not to have married) is the same date as the other Lucy Ann daughter of John.