Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing Baby

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jim

Jim Report 13 Jul 2010 23:02

Hi I am trying to find information on a missing baby given away for adoption within family relations.This was a little girl know as Mary Park ,born July 1915 In the Newcastle/Gateshead area and adopted by a family called Pegg who named her Hilda Pegg.

Thanks Jim.

Vicci

Vicci Report 13 Jul 2010 23:12

if she stayed in the area there is a possible marriage in 1937 to a James Thornton in Gateshead

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

are you sure that she was born in 1915

????
Hilda Thornton
Birth Date: 25 Jul 1914 99%)
Park Mary A Blackett Newcastle T 10b 333

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 13 Jul 2010 23:14

Jim,

What info are you after? going by your surname I presume you are aware of her marriage? Is it her birth details you need?

Annx

Vicci

Vicci Report 13 Jul 2010 23:15

Hilda Thornton
Birth Date: 25 Jul 1914
Death Registration Month/Year: 1972
Registration district: Gateshead
Inferred County: Durham
Volume: 1a
Page: 1650

Vicci

Vicci Report 13 Jul 2010 23:15

???Births Sep 1916 (>99%)

doddsy1

doddsy1 Report 14 Jul 2010 01:02

May or may not be of any use to you but there was a Hilda Park registered in Gateshead in Sept quarter of 1914, mmn Craggs

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 14 Jul 2010 01:29

There was no Mary Park birth registered anywhere in England/Wales in the jul-aug-sept quarter of 1914. So there isn't a Mary Park birth to match the birthdate in the Hilda Thornton death registration.

The only Mary Park birth registered in the jul-aug-sept quarter of 1915 was in Stockport.

Did you check your information at all? What's the source of the birthdate you gave? The source of the name Mary Park, for that matter!

Presumably you want to identify her parents, or at least her mother?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 14 Jul 2010 01:34

Re the birth Victoria posted:

Births Sep 1916

the same couple had a child in the jul-aug-sep quarter of 1914:

Births Sep 1914
Park Gladys Blackett Newcastle T. 10b 301

and also:

Births Sep 1912
Park John Blackett Newcastle T. 10b 324

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 14 Jul 2010 01:43

Re the birth Seaham Lass posted:

Births Sep 1914
Park Hilda Craggs Gateshead 10a 2213

the same couple had this child (no others):

Births Sep 1915
Park William Craggs Newcastle T 10b 78

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 14 Jul 2010 04:35

Y'know, I'm just getting plain tired of people not bothering to look for / read / acknowledge replies.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 14 Jul 2010 20:54

Janey.....I'm rushing as quick as I can - lol

Message going right now!! Cx

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 15 Jul 2010 23:08

Hi Jim, I got your PM -- Cynthia, you must start threatening people with bodily harm if they reply by private message rather than in the thread! (We know people don't understand how the boards work, that's why we keep Cynthia around ;) -- to remind people who are missing out on info that might help them. We do get exasperated sometimes ...)

I won't copy your message here since I'm not sure whether you consider some of it sensitive. If not, would you do that? Post it in the thread -- just click the purple Reply button up at the top of it, and the box will open.

You might have thought your post would appear on the boards, so I will pass along your thanks to Victoria for the marriage info!

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 15 Jul 2010 23:08

ladies,

Jim has replied to me by pm, I have told him you are awaiting his replies and explained how to get back to his thread should he not know how.

Annx

Jim

Jim Report 15 Jul 2010 23:55

Hi Janey, thanks for your info ,I'm sorry for not replying quicker,but it is the first time I've used the community board and never thought i would get replies back so quickly. I was only 19 back in 1972 when my mother died suddenly and it was a big shock. It was only after her death that i found out from my older sister that she had been adopted,and she did not know many details either apart from she thought her name might have been mary park.I am just grasping at straws at the minute trying to find leads to her past, as i beleive adoption records did not start until 1920.
Her D.O.B was 25th July 1914 and she married my father in1937 in Gateshead , thanks to Victoria for this info,and this is all I know about her apart from she was a wonderful mother for the 19 years i had with her.If you find out any more info i would be very grateful ,or if you can point me in the right direction.

Many thanks Jim.

Many thanks

Jim

Jim Report 16 Jul 2010 00:01

Hi Victoria, thanks for your information on the message board.Hilda Thornton was my mother who died suddenly when I was only 19. in 1972. It was after her death that my older sister told me that she had been adopted by my grandparents(Pegg), which came as a bit of a shock to me then as you can imagine.My older sister also knew very little of our mothers past as it wasn't talked about. She could only remember the name Mary Park mentioned.I never talked about it to my father who died 3 years later of a broken heart, as we were still shocked at her loss.Thanks to you I now know when they were also Married and the exact year she was born.If you can point me in the direction as to where you found out this info i would very grateful so once again many thanks Jim

Jim

Jim Report 16 Jul 2010 00:08

Hi Annx, thanks for the info. I think Iknow how to reply to you all now .

Many thanks Jim.

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 16 Jul 2010 00:09

Hello Jim,

I have been watching your thread develope and I just wanted to say how beautiful your message was timed 23:55, your love for your mother came over very strong and I don't mind admitting to it that it made me cry.

Just to try and help out a little;

In your first message you say that your mother was "adopted" within family relations, Mr and Mrs Pegg. What were your Grandparent Peggs first names and do you know when they were born or died?

If they were a relation to your mothers natural mother then maybe this would help with the search?

Wishing you all the best in your search, Dee x

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 16 Jul 2010 00:10

hello Jim,

Thankyou for your PM, I was waiting till you got back to the thread before I replied, just to let the others know where you are up to with your search.

If you would like a copy of the birth Victoria has brought up, you can obtain one by quoting the reference number she has given and the quarter in which it was registered and applying to the GRO.

I get my certs from Southport registrars as I find them most helpful, and usualy order by phone.

All births marriages and deaths up to around 1935/50 (varies) can be searched on a site called FREE BMD........just google and you will be able to search for yourself.

Annx

Jim

Jim Report 16 Jul 2010 00:22

Hi Dee, Her parents were

John Pegg 1885 -1966 Jane Isabelle Banks 1885 -1966

Jim

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 16 Jul 2010 00:28

Here they are in 1911

1911 census - household transcription
Person: PEGG, Jane Isabella
Address: 41 Macadam St Gateshead

Cost:
You will be charged 10 credits for a transcript and 30 credits for an image, unless you have purchased a subscription for this set of records.

census search results 1911 address search redefine current search
Name Relation Condition/
Yrs married Sex Age Birth
Year Occupation Where Born Original
census

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PEGG, John Head Married M 26 1885 General Labourer Iron Works Gateshead County of Durham VIEW
PEGG, Jane Isabella Wife Married
3 years F 26 1885 Durston Parish of Wickham VIEW
PEGG, Mary Sister Single F 23 1888 Domestic Duties Gateshead County of Durham VIEW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RG number:
RG14 Piece:
30485 Reference:
RG14PN30485 RG78PN1748B RD557 SD2 ED75 SN81

Registration District:
Gateshead Sub District:
Gateshead Enumeration District:
75 Parish:
Gateshead

Address:
41 Macadam St Gateshead County:
Durham