Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Tunmore 1873-1928 death

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jayne

Jayne Report 29 Jul 2011 19:18

Hi folks!
I'm hoping that you might be able to help regarding William Tunmore who was born in 1873 Blofield Norfolk and died in 1928 Norwich Norfolk.
There are quite a lot of William Tunmores born in Norfolk, but having searched all of the census records, I finally put in the birth date (1873) and the death date (1928) in, but was expecting to find a man whgo died aged in 1928 but was aged 71 years , when I was expecting him to be aged 55 years.
There is also a suspicion that he took his own life . . but cannot corroborate this at present. His wife was Mary Ann Brown b. 1869-70.
Would really appreciate your thoughts on this please.
Many thanks
Jayne

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Jul 2011 19:23

Have you followed him through the census to confirm his approx birth year

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Jul 2011 19:26

Perhaps he died earlier than you thought
Name: William Tunmore
Birth Date: abt 1874
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1918
Age at Death: 44
Registration district: Norwich
Inferred County: Norfolk
Volume: 4b
Page: 238

Jayne

Jayne Report 29 Jul 2011 19:27

Hello Shirley,
Yes, I have done the trawling (!) and am certain of the person named - his birth record states 1873 and I have all the rest of his family until his death in 1928, but can't find a death record that states 1928 so far.
Thanks for your help
Jayne

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 29 Jul 2011 19:44

how do you no he died in 1928 what proof do you have?
the death that Shirley posted is the only one that is is listed for your criteria

Roy

Edit; however their is this death

Birth Date: abt 1867
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1936
Age at Death: 69
Registration district: Blofield
Page: 289

Roy

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 29 Jul 2011 19:50

Hello Jayne, because there are quite a few William Tunmores in the area is it possible that the details for two of them have got mixed up?

If your William is definitely the one who married Mary Ann Brown, do you have a copy of their marriage certificate to confirm his age?

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Marriages Mar 1895
Brown Mary Ann Norwich 4b 216a
Tunmore William Norwich 4b 216a

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 29 Jul 2011 19:52

1911 for our reference:

TUNMORE, William Head Married M 38 1873 Bricklayer's Labourer Norfolk Blofield
TUNMORE, Mary Ann Wife Married 16 years F 41 1870 Norfolk Norwich
TUNMORE, Frederick Son Single M 15 1896 Boot And Shoe Trade Maker Norfolk Norwich
TUNMORE, Alice May Daughter F 13 1898 School Norfolk Norwich
TUNMORE, Evelyn Daughter F 11 1900 Norfolk Norwich
TUNMORE, George Son M 9 1902 Norfolk Norwich
TUNMORE, Hilda Daughter F 6 1905 Norfolk Norwich
TUNMORE, Edith Daughter F 4 1907 Norfolk Norwich
TUNMORE, Herbert Son M 1 1910 Norfolk Norwich

Registration District: Norwich
Sub District: East Wymer
Enumeration District: 7
Parish: Norwich

Address: 39 Cowgate St Norwich County: Norfolk

** 8 children born, 7 survived.

Jayne

Jayne Report 29 Jul 2011 19:59

Hello Porkie Pie,
I am in contact with a member of the Tunmore family, with the connection that I would possibly be a cousin of the Bowen family and would like to be able to add them on my tree ( I was born in Wales and my contact is a descendant of the family and I have connections of the Bowen family in Staffordshire, previously which is not too far from Staffordshire). I would love to know his exact details as I haven't been able to corroborate this thus far, so the death of William Tunmore is my goal (b. 1873 Blofield Norfolk d. 1928 Norwich) but the family I am in contact with are sure that he died in 1928 (of suicide). Not that this matters in the grand scheme of things, but would be interesting, but if the death is aged 1928 Norwich aged 71 years, this is not the William Tunmore I expected to die aged 71 years. .
Many thanks
Jayne

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 29 Jul 2011 20:07

Jayne, If you are in contact with family who say he died in 1928 you need to ask for written evidence eg, copy of the cert, if the 1928 date is just because a family member remembers then you will need to buy the death cert to prove/disprove the details.

Roy

Jayne

Jayne Report 29 Jul 2011 20:10

Hello Marie Celeste,
Yes, I do have William and Mary and all of their children at the 1911 census (and before that) and I do have the marriage certificate details but haven't requested the actual marriage certificate so far as I have the details of that, but am still stuck to find William Tunmore's death records as I put down on the search of his death and expected to find his death in 1928 by possible suicide. .
I do accept that there may not be a William Tunmore b. 1873 and died 1928 in Norwich and would be grateful for any information you might be able to help with.
Many thanks

Jayne

Jayne

Jayne Report 29 Jul 2011 20:15

Hello Porkie Pie,
This is the problem - They are convinced that William died in 1928 Norwich aged 71 years. . . I am still researching what I have so far, but cannot corroborate this - do you think I should just go with the death records?
Many thanks
Jayne

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 29 Jul 2011 20:17

when i first started doing my tree i spent about 2 years looking for certs and census info on the basis of info from family members and getting no where, not that the info they gave was wrong but the details were often out by several years and also some names turned out to be nicknames eg a jimmy who turned out to be John and a henry who turned out to be harry

you can only go on written evidance so as i said the cert is the best way to prove/or disprove if it is your man

Roy

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 29 Jul 2011 20:22

if he was 71 when he died then that gives a dob of 1857 not 1873

Roy

Jayne

Jayne Report 29 Jul 2011 20:24

Hello again Porkie Pie,
No - the death record is what I am trying to find and it doesn't fit with the family .The William Tunmore I am looking for was born 1873 Blofield Norfolk and died (allegedly) in 1928. I have looked from his death dates on census returns until I'm blue in the face and it's quite frustrating not to be able to say yes, that's the one . . .
Just as a point - are there death records for suicides instead of the full folks who passed away who didn't commit suicide? If this isn't an option, it would be another one to put aside.
Thank you
Jayne

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 29 Jul 2011 20:25

Jayne, don't trust any information provided by anyone else! As Roy states, info often gets distorted and if the people you're in contact with can't provide proof then you need to buy your own certificates - if they have made a mistake then you would just be copying that mistake to your tree.

I think the death that Shirley posted timed at 19:26 is a strong candidate, but I reckon you'd also need to buy the one for the 1928 death to be on the safe side.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 29 Jul 2011 20:27

Here is a death for a 71 year old born 1857
Birth Date: abt 1857
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1928
Age at Death: 71
Page: 200

Roy

Jayne

Jayne Report 29 Jul 2011 20:35

Hi Porkie Pie,
Thanks for the death info for William Tunmore b. 1857 - I do have this, but the William Tunmore I am searching for is William Tunmore 1873 Blofield Norfolk - not the William Tunmore who died 1928 aged 71 years!
Yet they both have the same death dates. . . . . The plot thickens!!!!
Thanks for your help thoughj.
Jayne

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 29 Jul 2011 20:38

If the records don't fit the family then you need to think long and hard about if the family is the correct one, to many family tree's around that are more fiction than fact

I always do all my own research and back it up with written evidance, even if i get info from a contact i always want the written evidence befor i move forward, you are doing the right thing by checking things out your self but bear in mind the advice given in this and other threads

Roy

Jayne

Jayne Report 29 Jul 2011 21:46

Dear All of your helpers,
Thank you so much for your help - although the William Tunmore I was looking for William Tunmore b. 1873 Blofield Norfolk who married Mary Ann Brown is the right one for the family I am searching for to connect to the Tunmore/Bowen family was centred around his death c. 1928 Norwich aged 71 years and not 1928.
But thanks for helping me ouit with this.
Jayne

jansmith

jansmith Report 29 Jul 2011 22:20

for info
? wife's death

Name: Mary A Tunmore
Birth Date: abt 1871
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1935
Age at Death: 64