Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Politoff/Politov family in France.

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sappho

Sappho Report 25 Feb 2013 01:07

AnnCardiff,

Just coming back to you now. The Census where you found Georgi Politov, where can I access these - I did not think that Moscow Archives had this online and I had first thought this was too distant for my family as where he came from is a long way from Moscow, but just wondered where I might access this information.

many thanks,

Sappho

Sappho

Sappho Report 13 Jan 2013 03:33

OMG

You certainly go the extra miles Ann - many thanks. It really had me baffled.

Going into the sites has proved very interesting. He was given the Class 2 and it is good to see them on line - wonder if they had their names on them. Guess that would only be for high ranking Generals.

thanks again

Keep you informed.

Sappho

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Jan 2013 21:58

.Search WW1 Medal Records | forces-war-records.co.uk
WW1 Medal forces personnel records Search WW1 Medal Records for free!
forces-war-records.co.uk/WW1_Medal
Search resultshttp://www.theaerodrome.com/medals/russia/index.php
www.theaerodrome.com/medals/russia/?index.php

Russian Medals - The World War I Document Archive
A brief description and images of the Orders, medals and awards bestwoed by Imperial Russia during World War I.
www.gwpda.org/medals/russmedl/?russia.html - Cached

Russian Medals Ww1 - Image Results
More Russian Medals Ww1 images ».Collect Russia WW2 GERMAN MILITARIA WW2 German Medals and ...
Description: Extensive price list for thousands of authentic items representing history of Soviet Empire from 1917 to 1991 with emphasis on early years and war with ...
www.collectrussia.com/?showcat.htm?cat=GermanMedals - Cached

russian imperial medals - Electronics, Cars, Fashion ...
Imperial Russian Russia WW1 Shooting Badge Pin Medal Order. Time left: $150.00. Buy It Now. Russian Imperial Medal For the Service Catherine II. From Latvia. Time left:
www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_?nkw=russian+imperial+medals - Cached

imperial russian medals - Electronics, Cars, Fashion ...
Imperial Russian Russia WW1 Shooting Badge Pin Medal Order. Time left: $150.00. Buy It Now. Russian Imperial Commemorative Medal Caucasus 1871 Aleksander II. From Latvia.
www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_?nkw=imperial+russian+medals - Cached

Russian Imperial Awards, Cross, orders, Medals, Badges, WW2 ...
Unknown Russian medal of St. George estimate price ... world map,world of warcraft,world war 1,world war 2,world war ii,world war two,ww1,ww1 militaria,WW2 ...
ua-ru.com/medals/imperial.php - Cached

Russian Imperial Awards, Cross, orders, Medals, Badges, WW2 ...
Are you looking for Russian Imperial orders, Medals, Badges ?
ua-ru.com - Cached

Russian world war 1 medals?
[Feb 19, 2009] Best Answer: http://www.collectrussia.com try here. There are some medals there however the Bolsheviks sued for neutrality after ousting the Tsar so I ... ~ by katelyn k ( 1 comments )
answers.yahoo.com/question/?index?qid=20090219111106AADg9jk - Cached.More results from answers.yahoo.com »

Sappho

Sappho Report 12 Jan 2013 20:52

An Update

This is just to keep you all informed. We did find a Politov killed in 1945 and buried in France. THIS IS NOT my relative and for your information his name was Konstatin Politov.

We have established from the official records in Odessa which I sent for that one of my grandmother's brothers was a Konstantin, but it seems he fought in WW1 and was awarded Knights of the Order of Saint George IV Class II medal in First World War.

Trying to sort out this Medal I thought (all things English of course) that it was a British medal. Now I think it Russian, but cannot find much about it - any ideas.

Still waiting for further information, but lots of personal stuff coming out of the archives of Moscow. To be honest their archives far superior to ours for information. I have my full work history of my great grandfather and his family all from Archives. This is not the Politov side. I do honesty think Genes (and I have already sent to them about this) should get a link to this side of the world for their genes members. Language is a huge problem for me.

Probably, (before I get told) this is my thread and not the place for suggestions.

So still getting there and hope this helps.

Sappho

Sappho

Sappho Report 8 Jan 2013 01:16

Oh Thanks Ann that really explains things. I thouhgt it may be the case, but I was not really sure.

I am so lucky that the person I am dealing with in Moscow speaks French and is going into their sites so we have possibilities.

This has happened since I posted on here. However, once he comes back to me I shall keep the thread watchers informed. May be of help to others.

Thanks again as always.

Sappho

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 Jan 2013 18:28

deffo not improving :-(

just a way of keeping this posting on the front page hoping someone else may be tempted to step in :-D

Sappho

Sappho Report 7 Jan 2013 18:24

Ann - I am not sure what this means - sorry for ignorance.

Does that mean the weather is improving????

Sappho.

I have nothing to report until my helper in Russia goes to Archives, but it is Christmas Day there at present (7th Jan). They are on a different Calendar to us (or some of them are). You probably wonder why do Russians Orthodox people celebrate Christmas on January 7th? Why not on December 25th?
Well, the reason is that the Russian Orthodox Church still lives according to the old Julian Calendar, which is currently 13 days behind the Gregorian Calendar, which is adopted by most countries in the world (and by the Russian government). When in the end of 1917 the Bolshevik government decided to adopt Gregorian calendar, the Russian Orthodox church decided not to follow the rules set by the civil authorities. Part of the reason was to protest against the Bolsheviks and their interference in church affairs. Another reason, perhaps, was to stick to the older rules, the ways in which generations of Russian Christians were praising the Lord, observing holidays, etc.

Think they are back to work on the 9th January.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 Jan 2013 10:38

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Jan 2013 22:19

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Jan 2013 17:09

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Jan 2013 11:47

fingdrs crossed then :-) :-)

Sappho

Sappho Report 6 Jan 2013 09:58

We now have confirmation of Mihail Mikhailovich Politov. This is another brother to my grandmother.

I am waiting for the reply to see if the French connection I have emailed is a relative of one of the brothers - the one who went to France and died there.

Slowly, slowly we get there. I positive we will.

Thanks again,

Sappho

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Jan 2013 03:06

Sappho

Sappho Report 5 Jan 2013 23:04

ps Ann - had a friend who married a Harman - don't think he was from Whitchurch though.

Sappho

Sappho

Sappho Report 5 Jan 2013 23:03

Thanks Ann so much appreciated. Good night and sleep warm.

I am always amazed at what you helpers find out for us. I have so much information from Ancestry, but I have never become a member as I cannot get on with the site. I do however, find 'message boards' most helpful and it there I tried for France. No luck though.

Will keep this thread informed of further developments.

Thank you again for your communications and efforts. Although I am not yet in France (for my relative), what you have found is very interesting and helpful.

Thank you so much,

Sappho

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Jan 2013 21:47

we'll endeavour to keep this on the front page - give a bunk up every so often :-D

Sappho

Sappho Report 5 Jan 2013 18:06

Yes, I am with you Ann on the name change to France, but have found one to Politoff and trying to email on this.

It has come through via Moscow so hope something comes from that. Just happened.

This timeline makes a difference for catching up on things.

Sappho

have been in and looked at those sites you have sent. Very good information to be had.

Thanks again

Sappho

Sappho Report 5 Jan 2013 18:04

Put the above message in before the other info came through. This happens sometimes,

Just absorbing what you have put. It is so interesting.

Oh thanks so much. I am keen to get one of the books and will go to Library next week to see what they have. There is one Politov mentioned.

Thanks so much,

Its all so interesting.

Sappho

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Jan 2013 17:59

I'm thinking they changed their name when they got to France

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Jan 2013 17:57

I can't find any in France and strangely on the LDS site when you select a country, France is not there!!! however, in the past I've found lots of stuff in France