Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Re convict records advice please re Abraham Allen

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Jan 2013 12:47

For many years I have been trying to find out what happened to my Gt Gt Grandfather ABRAHAM ALLEN born 1808 Belper Derbyshire. In the 1841 census his wife ELLEN ALLEN, and children are on their own in Belper. in 1841 and1842 they are in the workhouse, in 1842 they leave the workhouse and go to France.

In 1844 my Gt grandfather SETH ALLEN is supposedly (according to censuses born British subject France) born in France but no proof of this. Seth gives Abraham as his father on his marriage certificate. Seth is, according to census in the R Marines as a tailor, he lives in RM housing in Forton Gosport Hampshire. But can find no actual proof of him being in the RM.

In 1845 Ellen and children return from France (Evidence taken from the Strutt school register when THOMAS ALLEN one of her children returns there.

I am no longer a member of Ancestry but just received an invitation to look at the Australian Convict records. One of the Hampshire records (October 1842) shows that an ABRAHAM ALLEN born 1811 is convicted of Grand Larceny and given 10 years.

I may be grasping at straws here but can anyone give any suggestion as to how I can follow up whether or not this was 'my' ABRAHAM ALLEN.

Any help appreciated. :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Jan 2013 13:20

I think I should add the reason for Ellen and family being in the workhouse was given as 'husband absconded'.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 27 Jan 2013 13:34

Ann had a look but it is hard to read am going to print out and darken it to see
what it says.

Emma

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 27 Jan 2013 13:40

Maybe I'm missing something but although I can see the Hampshire record, I can't find him actually being transported.
Also, I wonder if October 1842 is a bit late if he had already 'absconded' by March 1841.

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 27 Jan 2013 14:05

A poss for Abraham

UK Royal Navy Medical Journals, 1817-1857
about Abraham Allen

Name:Abraham Allen

Ship:Bermuda Royal Naval Hospital

This chap died September 29th....although I cant find the year.

There was congestion to the brain which caused his death, the rest is very hard to read.....

Misty x

Edit....if you want to send me an email I can try and forward original to you...

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Jan 2013 14:07

Allen, Abraham 1801 - from Stafford - life
Allen, Ann 1804 - Derbyshire - 7 years

found these two

Page Title
... to Port Jackson 1793-1849 convicts to Australia ... Allen, Abraham Allen, Ann Allen, Ann Allen, Ann Allen, Benjamin ... Derbyshire 1791 Stafford 1791 Middlesex 1803 York 1810
www.claimaconvict.net/page7.html - Cached

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 27 Jan 2013 14:08

Ann even with it printed out etc have problem reading it.
Sorry cannot help, maybe BeverleyW can assist you more.

Emma

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Jan 2013 14:30

Thanks, I have actually managed to copy the record and can see that the charge is larceny and, I think, theft at the County court Hampshire.

I wonder if he absconded from Belper which is why Ellen was in the workhouse and was picked up in Hampshire.

I can't see any mention of him being transported but it didn't mention transportation on any of them so I wonder if it is a list of all those transported. Such poor images that it is difficult to tell. I am glad I didn't pay to see them!!

Ann C I think that may well be a different Abraham Allen but will look into it, I think i have come across him before.

Misty I have PMd you (twice because I forgot the e mail addy!) :-D

I can't think why he would have been in Bermuda RN hospital but who knows? and if it doesn't give age or any referrence dates it is difficult to tell.

Thank you so much all of you for trying. No surprise to me that he wants to stay hidden though. :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Jan 2013 14:37

the only Abraham Allen I can find

Abraham Allen
Abraham Allen, one of 296 convicts transported on the Earl Cornwallis, August 1800
Name, Aliases & Gender
Name: Abraham Allen
Aliases: none

Birth, Occupation & Death
Date of Birth: -

Sentenced to Life
Crime: -
Convicted at: Stafford Assizes
Sentence term: Life
Ship: Earl Cornwallis
Departure date: August, 1800
Arrival date*: 31st March, 1801
Place of arrival New South Wales
Passenger manifest Travelled with 291 other convicts

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Jan 2013 14:40

Misty that came tyhrough fine but I can't find Abraham, should he be on the page that came through? Left or right hand side?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Jan 2013 14:41

Thanks Ann, the Winchester trial is in 1842 so I assume your is a different one.

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 27 Jan 2013 14:46

Right hand side, second down....there is a William then Abraham..

Misty x

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Jan 2013 14:49

Thanks enlarged it and found it, Sep 28th but no year which is frustrating. Must be at the beginning of the book or something.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Jan 2013 14:51

found this

Abraham ALLEN & family of Ballarat
Any information at all re births deaths marriages connected with the family of Abraham ALLEN, died 30.4.1889 and his wife Mary ALLEN died 18.2.1882 - both buried at Ballarat. Would their be death notices be available at all?
Their children were:
Albert born about 1849 in Youlgreave, Derbyshire
George born about 1841 in Youlgreave, Derbyshire.
I have the info re their sister Mary Ann who married William Samuel DOYLE
George possibly married Lavinia HIGGANS/HIGGINS
Contact: Bethell Hunt, 69 Tweeddale Road, Applecross, WA 6153, Australia - EMAIL - March 2008

Help Wanted Messages, 2008; Ballarat & District Genealogical ...
Convict per "New Grove" 1835 to Tasmania. Married 1836 ... Abraham ALLEN & family of Ballarat Any information at all re ... I believe that Michael was sponsored into Australia by ...
www.ballaratgenealogy.org.au/hw/?help2008.htm - Cached

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Jan 2013 14:51

As he died it would have helped if the book had given also a date of birth. These things are sent to try us!!!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Jan 2013 14:53

I wonder if somebody could look at the 1841 for me please and see if there is an ABRAHAM ALLEN in Hampshire living there.

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 27 Jan 2013 14:58

Cant see one living in Hampshire...

Misty x

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Jan 2013 15:02

Thanks Misty.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Jan 2013 15:09

Misty I went back a page and the date is 1843.

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 27 Jan 2013 15:19

Not able to send the others....

But page 2 of the journal says...

Quarterly Journal of the cases of convicts in Bermuda Hospital for the Q ending 31st March 1843

Misty x

Edit....

So I guess that ties in with this record found earlier......

England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892
Name: Abraham Allen
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1811
Date of Trial: 26 Oct 1842
Trial Year: 1842
Location of Trial: Hampshire, England
Sentence: Transportation