Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My Grandfather William Barnes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 3 Apr 2013 07:04

Is there someone that can help my grandfather was William Barnes D O B 1884-1938 died in Grays Thurrock Essex prob born Essex or Suffolk area
I would dearly love to find who his parents were[my great grandparents] all I know is he[grandfather] lived with Maude Playle and they had 4 children one being my Father.As Maude and william never married I cant trace/check marriage records to see who the parents were.I have found plenty on the Playle family but dont know how or where to get anymore on William and his family.

I hope there is someone that can help I have been trying for yrs without luck
From leader

K

K Report 3 Apr 2013 07:56

Do you have William's occupation from one of the children's birth certs?

Kay

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 3 Apr 2013 08:02

Hello Yvonne, who were the children and where/when born?

If any were before 1911 then we could maybe find them on census to confirm birthplace of William.

EDIT: See from FreeBMD that they were born 1914 onwards.

Dea

Dea Report 3 Apr 2013 08:48

You say you have 'plenty on the Playle family' ?

Was she Maud Lily, born c1894 in Stambourne, Essex?

If not, could you give us her details please?

Thanks,

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 3 Apr 2013 09:20

Was William by any chance a 'Stoker' ???

Dea x

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 3 Apr 2013 09:27

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1236459

(bit more on above, Maude)

Chris :)

Death (reference)
Name: BARNES, Maud L
Registration district: [?] Thurrock
County: Essex
Year of registration: 1944
Quarter of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Age at death:52
Volume no: 4A
Page no: 542

Dea

Dea Report 3 Apr 2013 10:46

Thank you Chris - That is the one which I thought must be right.

We really ned William's occupation from a birth cert and any other info it might have on there.

Dea Xxx

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 3 Apr 2013 11:26

Here's a possibility. But need much more for proof.

On the 1911 census there's a Maude Playle b.1893 in Stambourne, Essex living in Steeple Bumpstead

There's also a William Barnes b.1884 - farm lab - b. Birdbrook, Essex living in Steeple Bumpstead.

There are so many William Barnes' though, that this could just be a coincidene

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 3 Apr 2013 12:17

The above William Barnes is living next door to a Playle family on the 1891 census.

They're not Maude's parents though.

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 3 Apr 2013 16:19

Hi everyone thanks for help all I have for sure is the children of William and Maud/e are William Barnes dob 1914 died 9hrs after death cert says son of william Farm Labourer sewards end saffron walden Winifred born 1915 havnt got birth cert Thomas my Father born 1920 Saffron Walden and Rose born 1920.To my knowledge william was not a stoker The Maude playle stambourne is my maude. Havn,t been able to get Williams birth cert as there are so many William barnes and dont know his parents names.

Once again thanks to all dont know if any of this can help more cant get any help from family as dont have any contact with them for over 40yrs

YVONNE

Chris Ho :) Report 3 Apr 2013 16:34

http://www.radwinterhistory.org.uk/radwinter/baptismspt4.html

(above link has below Baptisms)

1925 Jul 19 BARNES Rose Anne? Mary dau of William & Maud Lily BARNES Radwinter Horsekeeper
1925 Jul 19 BARNES Thomas William son of William & Maud Lily BARNES Radwinter Horsekeeper

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 3 Apr 2013 19:00

Yvonne, The William Barnes I've mentioned above is a farm labourer.

Have you looked at him on the 1891 census to see if the Playle family living next door are related to Maud?

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 4 Apr 2013 08:20

Hi THANK you very much for the baptisms above i,m so grateful I will have to go into it again to see if the other child winifred is mentioned for the same area. I will go into the 1891 census and see if I can go a bit deeper into the playle family it would be great if I can tie them togetherwith William

Once again thanhs for the info .
From one happier person

YVONNE

Chris Ho :) Report 4 Apr 2013 08:40

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1297351

Hello Yvonne, came across the above 'Thread' last night, whilst looking around on google, for Barnes, Playle, Birdbrook etc., also looking back at 1891 regarding Christina's find...

Have now added the 1891 Neighbours on above 'Thread' for you to look through, does seem a coincidence.

(I also remembered seeing a newspaper article about Charles Barnes not sending his children to school!)

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 4 Apr 2013 09:59

Chris, I see you and Jonesey beat me to it by a year!

I think it's very likely we have the right one.

Chris Ho :) Report 5 Apr 2013 10:14

BOXFORD PETTY SESSIONS, Nov. 11 .
The Essex Standard, West Suffolk Gazette, and Eastern Counties' Advertiser (Colchester, England), Saturday, November 19, 1887

(from above Yvonne, if you pm e mail address, will see if I can send it, might be later on, as about to go out!)

Chris Ho :) Report 5 Apr 2013 20:55

Just sent through Yvonne.

(can you remove your e mail from above posting, as GR do not allow, also for your own security)

edits (pm also sent about removal)

Chris Ho :) Report 6 Apr 2013 07:53

Glad it got to you Yvonne, surprising what bits n' pieces you can find in newspapers!.

Might just be worth getting that below Cert., just in case anything else comes along.

Births Jun 1883 (>99%)
-----------------------------------------------------
BARNES William Risbridge 4a 565

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 13 Oct 2014 09:57

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1345565