Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Amelia Ann Ruscoe - Manchester - any info please

Page 2 + 1 of 3

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 4 May 2013 07:17

There is no issue about my parental Robinsons. I have all info certs etc about them all. I found some probates and sent for the wills of my dad, grandpa and greatgranpa. My granpa Charles Robinson was a tailor with a shop. He was one of those who copied the designs of the so called affluent people and produced made to measure at a cheaper cost.

He died suddenly 1 Jan 1944 after an operation. My siblings and my 2 cuz all rmember going to visit nan at her sweet shop in the early 50's - such a magical place for small children. It was in Middleton on the corner of a road near the old market.

There is no historic connection with a confectionary business in the family. So how she came about it we have no idea - she lived at 7 North Road, Salford for years before then - the address is even on my dads WW11 records.

Amelia & Joseph Roscoe are not blood relations but seem to be tied up with the family in some way. Especially Amelia, however with Amelia & nana both widows they must have made a living somehow.

Have just reread grandpas will. Just noticed it was originally written 4 Jan 1928 - refiled 30 Jan 1938. So the time frame of Amelia and nana's asociation is at least from 1928 - 1944

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 May 2013 07:50

NS ..................

I wonder if a confectioner's business was considered a "suitable" shop for a single lady to run??

One of my OH's ancestral lines is of reasonably wealthy tenant farmers in Westmorland and Yorkshire. In one large family, I eventually found 2 of the girls as confectioners in Liverpool.

There seems to have been no previous connection with business of any kind ............ at least I haven't found one.

Yet they later had at least 3 nieces as apprentices. Neither woman married.