Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Offensive advert?- Success- thank you Rachel (GR)!

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dea

Dea Report 2 Jun 2013 18:07

Is it just me or does anyone else find this advert coming up at the top of the screen quite offensive.?

It is obviously very 'American' in it's language but I feel it should be removed from these boards!

(2 people are spying on you ) Yeah, it sucks. And it's pretty wierd when you don't know that you're being spied on online. People and companies spy on you by planting cookies on your browser. But they-re not friggin chocolate chip cookies or something delicious like that. These cookies are crummy and allow the sites to follow you around the web. To see who's spying on you, sheck out selfMonitor. It's pretty cool, it's free and the results will shock you. See who's spying on you by clicking here.

I think that if we used the same language in any of our posts it might well, and quite rightly be removed!

What do others think?

Dea x

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 Jun 2013 18:10

I'm on za so don't have it

GenealogyResearchAssistance

GenealogyResearchAssistance Report 2 Jun 2013 18:16

I can see it too. It's amazing that we both have only two people spying on us. I'm not going to click to see who they are. If Big Brother wants to watch me, let him.

Just ignore it, pull the screen up to cover the advert and you just have GR and you never have to look at it. :-D :-D

Dea

Dea Report 2 Jun 2013 18:17

Lucky you Ann - thanks for the reply!

I just get very 'fed up' with all this 'american type' bad language which is quickly becoming 'commonplace' amongst out youngsters over here !

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 2 Jun 2013 18:21

I thought that too Toots - only two people ???

I just found the word 'friggin' quite offensive !

However, perhaps I am being over-sensitive here ??

Dea Xxx

P.S. - Do you think that I will get RR'd for using that word?? ;-) :-D :-D

Dea Xxx

patchem

patchem Report 2 Jun 2013 18:21

I have always assumed that the adverts that I get relate to what I have been searching for on the web.
I lead a blameless life and am obviously looking forwards to retirement, and some new clothes to go to a wedding.

Dea

Dea Report 2 Jun 2013 18:24

:-D :-D :-D <3 ;-)

Dea Xxx

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Jun 2013 18:27

I haven't seen the advert myself. I usually find that the adverts I see are to do with things I or my family have searched for on the web. Most of mine are to do with cars, travel and watches (all things my son is interested in).

If you really feel strongly about the advert (and I don't blame you) then send an email to Genes and let them know how you feel.

Kath. x

Gee

Gee Report 2 Jun 2013 18:31

Cant see it Dea.

I have a retirement add at the top of my page....someone has got that wrong then!

Come back 20 years.............

Gee

Gee Report 2 Jun 2013 18:35

Copy, Google and paste the narrative that you posted.........!

Dea

Dea Report 2 Jun 2013 18:39

H'actually Patchem and Kath, I fear that you might be correct !!

I have sent an e-mail to GR but I may have got it wrong this time!

I assumed that the adverts were coming from who they allowed to advertise on their site (I am not very technical :-( )

However, I do have to admit that I have recently been looking at vacuum cleaners and there are a lot coming up related to that product, so too to the children's scooters I have been looking at.

I can't imagine what I have been looking at though which would bring this up ???

Maybe I have got this wrong?

Dea Xxx

GenealogyResearchAssistance

GenealogyResearchAssistance Report 2 Jun 2013 18:52

To be honest Dea, I had seen it but never read it until you posted. I automatically pull my screen up to hide the adverts on her. Facebook Ads are also wasted on me because I just don't look at that part of the screen because I know they are just adverts.

Dea

Dea Report 2 Jun 2013 18:57

Mind you, I also get the adverts on the left hand side for Navabi which offers fashion items for sizes 12 - 28 !!!

Being a size 6 or even a 4 if I could get it, I REALLY don't think that I have generated that one !! ;-) :-D :-D :-D

Dea Xxx

Gee

Gee Report 2 Jun 2013 18:59

Google Chrome...............that's why I refuse to use it.

It monitors your searches and then sends you ads to match your 'wanting'

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 2 Jun 2013 19:02

Hello,

How may I help YOU today.

Mine is for a DNA test.

Dea

Dea Report 2 Jun 2013 19:07

DNA ??

Dimentia not allowed ??

Dea Xxx ;-) :-D

Gee

Gee Report 2 Jun 2013 19:15

Mo......what the............. is that Avatar!

Dea

Dea Report 2 Jun 2013 19:17

I fink it's 'Miss Piggy' ??

Probably a little bit before your time Ginns ??

Dea Xxx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 Jun 2013 19:30

can I suggest you all swich to Genes za :-D

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 2 Jun 2013 19:32

Just me being a very blonde/blue-eyed ,

Did I meantion that the hare is curly.