Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing Marriage

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gerry

Gerry Report 4 Feb 2023 16:35

My mother Alice Ann Jenkins was B 25/8/1912 in Worcester

She died 1997 in Bournemouth

She first married 1938 to H Bradley and married again in 1950 to my father G Perschke

3 years later she disappeared and "married" again to Harold Finch

My problem is that I cannot find any records of a Marriage with Finch or any one else!

The death cert has her as Alice Ann Finch, maiden Jenkins

1939 has as Alice having a marriage with Finch in 30/11/1951

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Feb 2023 16:49

Perhaps she didn't marry Mr Finch, bur just used his name.

Or perhaps they married abroad.

Marriages Jun 1938 (>99%)
Bradley Harry H Jenkins Worcester 6c 427
Jenkins Alice A Bradley Worcester 6c 427

Marriages Mar 1950 (>99%)
Bradley Alice A Perschke Worcester 9d 658
Jenkins Alice A Perschke Worcester 9d 658
Perschke Gerhard Bradley Worcester 9d 658
Perschke Gerhard Jenkins Worcester 9d 658

EDIT:
From your sentence "I cannot find any records of a Marriage with Finch or any one else!" I thought you hadn't found any marriage records for her at all - but you must have the ones I've posted, as you already knew the dates.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 4 Feb 2023 17:02

Your dates don’t make sense
1938 marriage to Bradley
1939 married to Finch
1950 marriage to Perschke
Disappears 3 years later and the married to Finch
1939 marriage to Finch 1951

Did she divorce Bradley or did he die. The two known marriage certificates might help.

Do you some knowledge of her between disappearing and dying?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Feb 2023 17:07

In 1939 she's with Harry Bradley, Names. The surname has been altered first to Perschke in 1950, and then to Finch in 1951.

Gerry -
the date is when the record was changed - not the date of the "marriage".

Alice A Bradley
in the 1939 England and Wales Register
Name: Alice A Bradley
Marital Status: Married
Birth Date: 25 Aug 1912
Residence Date: 1939
Address: 45 Nashs Passage
Residence Place: Worcester, Worcestershire, England
Line Number: 5
Schedule Number: 66
Sub Schedule Number: 2
Enumeration District: Qibi
Borough: Worcester
Registration district: 377
Inferred Spouse:
Harry H Bradley
Household Members (Name) Age
Harry H Bradley 29
Alice A Bradley 27

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Feb 2023 17:11

Married to Perschke in 1950 - disappeared 3 years later, so could not have re-married in 1951

When did Perschke divorce her?

He re-married in 1956……………

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 4 Feb 2023 17:11

Thanks AG. Still doesn’t explain why Gerry thinks she left his father after 3 years as it seems to be only one.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Feb 2023 17:12

Beside the 1951 date on the 1939 Register, there's the code NR230/QAA.

QAA means Birmingham - which just means it was the Birmingham office which dealt with it, not necessarily that she was living in Birmingham..

https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/1939RegisterAreaCodes.htm

NR230 means her name was changed by Deed Poll.
A marriage would have been shown by CR230.

https://tinyurl.com/y2kc444y

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Feb 2023 17:21

She "disappeared" three years after 1950 - which could mean that she kept in touch until then, even if she'd left Gerry's father and the children in 1951.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 4 Feb 2023 17:22

Looks like the Bradley marriage ended in divorce as it looks as though he remaried in 1949.

Aded: Alice had two Perschke sons, one in late 1949 and one inlate 1950. mmn was Jenkins not Bradley. So Alice must have been Perschke before they were married. As she was using the Jenkins name in 1949 I presume the divorce was earlier.

Trees on Ancestry suggest there were two Bradley daughters. None of the trees give any clues on Finch. Old Electoral Rolls might help here. The marriage cerificate to Perschke should say divorced and the birth certificate of the older child should give her previous names - I think.

AG. we crossed. As we now know about the first son the 3 years must have been them together and not three years of marriage.

Gerry

Gerry Report 4 Feb 2023 18:28

I have dementia so i find it difficult.

Bradley did divorce Alice because she was up to no good with my father Perschke and i was the result.They got married 14/1/1950. My brother was born in November.

The adoption people said in 1955

" on the 14/2/1951 she left the home and has not been seen or heard since"

at some time She and Finch got together but i cannot find any info other than her death cert

Gerry

Gerry Report 4 Feb 2023 18:33

my father married again

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Feb 2023 20:06

When did she die?
Who registered the death?
What was her last address?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 4 Feb 2023 20:54

Erika - she died in 1997, Bournemouth.

Gerry, thank you for telling us about your health issues. Don’t be afraid to ask for explanations of anything that has been posted.

At the moment it looks as though Alice may not have actually married Finch. Although it is possible they married outside of England and Wales. Unless someone can find her on the old Electoral Rolls we might not be able to find anything more.

Gerry

Gerry Report 5 Feb 2023 01:18

Thank you Erica. Nice of you to say so.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 Feb 2023 07:54

If she was using the name Finch at one time then she must have used that on documents she filled in which is why it’s been picked up and added on the 1939 register
Doesnt mean she actually married a Finch but she was known as for a time

The annotation on the 1939 isn’t a marriage date but the date they were did the name change

The register doesn’t give marriage or death dates only the birth date as part of the original record

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Feb 2023 09:01

Gerry

That was me, not Erika. I had started the post with a note to Erika.

Nameslessone

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 Feb 2023 09:15

As already said, the notation NR230 on the 1939 Register means that she changed her name to Finch by Deed Poll.

She did not marry Finch , nor anyone else after 1950 - at least not in Scotland, Wales, or England.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Feb 2023 10:37

I thought I would set out what we had so far as it can be difficult to get ones had around al the information, even with dementia. If I've got anything wrong or missing I'll add it in as an amendment so it all keeps together.

Alice Ann Jenkins born 25 August 1912 in Worcestershire
1938 marriage to Harry H Bradley
1939 is registered as living with Bradley with NHS amendments to show her later names as Perschke and Finch (Finch by deed pol)
Birth of two daughters in 1940 & 1943
1949 Alice was having an affair with Gerrys father and she had a son in late 1949.
Gerry appears to have been registered twice, as ‘Gerry’ E Bradley and again on the same page as ‘Gerry’ K Perschke.
1950 Alice & Gerhard marry in 14/1/ 1950 and have another son in November registered as Perschke
1951 14/2/1951 Alice leaves added: Harold Finch
Added: 1994 Harold Finch dies in Bournemouth
1997 Alice dies in Bournemouth.

Questions.
Did Gerry’s brother also go for adoption or did she take him with her.
Has Gerry registered on the Gov. Adoption website in case his siblings have been looking for him.
Does Gerry know about his half sisters. It looks as though they remained in Worcestershire
Where was Alice living between 1951 and 1997.
Note for Gerry: The only information on the death certificate for Alice would be what was actually known by whoever reported it. It might be worth getting this certificate from the GRO.

Gerry

Gerry Report 5 Feb 2023 11:40

sorry nameeslessone. its the kind of thing that happens with this blasted dementia

Your questions

Brother adopted with me
I have known about my half sisters and there dauters for a long time. I have recently been in touch with one of my half nieces

I have the death cert

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 Feb 2023 11:50

Alice and Harold Finch in 1965:

Alice A Finch
in the Midlands, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1965
Name: Alice A Finch
Residence Year: 1965
Ward or Division/Constituency: Districts 1 to 111
Street Address: 87 UPPER THOMAS STREET 3 bk
Residence Place: Birmingham, West Midlands, England

They were at that address from at least 1957 until at least 1965