Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

martyn john dodd

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

christopher

christopher Report 26 Feb 2023 03:51

Looking for any information on my dad martyn john dodd birthday 12/01/1957 died 07/06/2003 he was addopted at birth his addopted parents names where walter brown and elizabeth brown he also resided in grimsby thats all the info i have if any one has a connection could help me with this that would be great thanks chris.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 26 Feb 2023 08:39

Welcome to Genes and the boards.

Are you looking for his birth family? Unfortunately no one here is allowed to access his adoption papers.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Feb 2023 09:05

If his adoptive parents were surnamed Brown, why wasn't your father's name Brown?

His death:

DODD, MARTYN JOHN 1957
GRO Reference: DOR Q2/2003 in BRENT (2211D) Reg C45D Entry Number 136

Where was he born?
I don't see his birth as Dodd in Scotland, England or Wales - if, for some reason, he had kept his birth surname.

A couple of boys' births were registered in England in the first quarter of 1957, with surname Dodd, and mother's maiden surname also Dodd - but not named Martyn.

Adrian J in Croydon, and Julian in Cambridge.

christopher

christopher Report 26 Feb 2023 09:07

no wasnt looking into finding his birth parents but ive been doing more research as i only joined yesterday and think i may have found his adopted mum and dad marriage record so thats a start and thank you for the message. :-)

christopher

christopher Report 26 Feb 2023 09:09

yes just learned that his mum maiden name was Dodd and she married a walter Brown wasnt expecting that but i thought maybe he had kept his birth surname dodd and maybe thats why he never became a Brown but i was wrong thank you for your help

christopher

christopher Report 26 Feb 2023 09:16

ArgyllGran yes he died when he was working away and he was brought up in grimsby not sure were he was originally born and i found the death certificate and my mum and dads mariage certificate but no birth record.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Feb 2023 09:21

Is that the 1979 marriage in Grimsby?

If so, he would have been 22 at the time, so wouldn't want to change his name at that age.

But I still don't see his birth record.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Feb 2023 09:27

Looks like his mother may have been married before:

Marriages Mar 1941 (>99%)
Dodd Arthur Draper Grimsby 7a 1761
DRAPER Elizabeth F Dodd Grimsby 7a 1761

But that still doesn't seem to help with his birth!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Feb 2023 09:30

If he had been legally adopted as a baby, his surname would have changed to that of his adoptive parents. Even a ‘mother’s own’adoption would change his surname to that of her husband,

christopher

christopher Report 26 Feb 2023 09:34

ArgllGran yes thats my mum and his mariage record i never really asked any info into my dads background and was just told he was addopted and im not one to question it and wasnt really interested that much as him and my mum seperated when i was younger but now im very interested maybe i should ask my mum a few more questions :-)But ArgllGran any ideas on missing birth certificate details what are your thought as i really am stumpedand thanks so much for this help

christopher

christopher Report 26 Feb 2023 09:37

id love to hear on what your all thinking on this i no you cant throw accusations around but i really dont have the foggiest to be honest i only found out that his mums maiden name is Dodd about 2 hours ago wasnt expecting that 1 but thats just added more questions for me

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Feb 2023 09:41

Your parents married in 1978, if I have followed the right line

EDIT
You say you have your parents' marriage cert...........who did Martyn name as his father?

Did you know your father’s parents?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 26 Feb 2023 10:04

Well done for coming back on here so quickly. The marriage certificate ( if correct ) mentioned by Erika would be very useful. You can buy certificates from the GRO website.

The free website www.freebmd.org.uk is a very useful tool.

Edit Elizabeth F Draper was born in Grimsby in 1918. She may have left the area to have a baby as Grimsby was a port and subject to bombing. Registrations were not always listed in the area expected during the war.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Feb 2023 11:10

Posting for info, and evaluation

Brown
Elizabeth Frances
Born 29/10/1918
Died1995
England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007
Grimsby, Lincolnshire, England

Marriages Sep 1979 (>99%)
BROWN Walter Dodd Grimsby 7 508 S
Dodd Elizabeth F Brown Grimsby 7 508

The marriage to Brown has no relevance to Martyn.
His adoptive mother's maiden name was not Dodd - that was simply her surname when she re-married.

DRAPER, ELIZABETH FRANCES HALL
GRO Reference: 1918 D Quarter in GRIMSBY Volume 07A Page 884

Marriages Dec 1915 (>99%)
Draper Christopher Hall Grimsby 7a 1872
Hall Elizabeth Draper Grimsby 7a 1872

1921 Census Of England & Wales
3, Bk 155 King East, Grimsby, Great Grimsby, Lincolnshire, England
Christopher Draper Head Male 1886 35 London, Middlesex, England Dock Labourer Contractor Builder
Elizabeth Draper Wife Female 1882 38 Grimsby, Lincolnshire, England
Elizabeth Frances Draper Daughter Female 1918 2 Grimsby, Lincolnshire, England - -
Christopher George Draper Son Male 1920 - Grimsby, Lincolnshire, England -

1939 Register
382 Cleethorpe Road, Cleethorpes, Grimsby C.B., Lincolnshire (Parts of Lindsey), England
Christopher Wraper 25 Dec 1887 Male Transport Worker Married 242 1
Elizabeth Wraper 29 Nov 1892 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 242 2
Elizabeth F Dodd,Wraper 29 Oct 1918 Female Farm Factory Worker Single 242 3
James R Wraper 13 Oct 1922 Male Motor Engineer Heavy Single 242 4
Christopher G Wraper 04 Aug 1920 Male Not Stated Single 242 5

Have submitted corrections to FMP

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Feb 2023 11:16

Name: Arthur Dodd
Register Type: Cremation
Death Date: 30 Dec 1977
Burial or Cremation Date: 6 Jan 1978
Burial or Cremation Place: Lincolnshire, England

Deaths Dec 1977 (>99%)
DODD ARTHUR 4MY1915 GRIMSBY 7 499

Name: Arthur Dodd
Death Age: 62
Birth Date: abt 1915
Death Date: 30 Dec 1977
Death Place: 2 Sandford Street Grimsby
Obituary Date: 30 Dec 1977
Obituary Place: Scunthorpe, Humberside, England
Newspaper Title: Scunthorpe Evening Telegraph
Spouse: Elizabeth

1939 Register
50 Rendel Street, Grimsby, Grimsby C.B., Lincolnshire (Parts of Lindsey), England
Sarah Dodd 14 Sep 1889 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Widowed 62 1
Arthur Dodd 04 May 1915 Male Wharf Labourer Single 62 2
Thomas Welbourn 27 Apr 1914 Male Wharf Labourer Single 62 3

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Feb 2023 13:12

As you have no idea of your father's birth name, you have no way of accessing his birth cert, I'm afraid.

Only he would have been allowed to access his adoption papers

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 Feb 2023 14:42

Have you seen Martyn's death certificate or do you mean you have found the record in the GRO index?

By the time he died, place of birth was usually recorded on a death certificate.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Feb 2023 14:54

Good point, Gwyn - assuming that the informant knew where he was born ;-) ;-)

christopher

christopher Report 26 Feb 2023 15:40

hi ladies wow you lot are good but all tha t information i dont no what to do with it or think of it or place it anywere im a total novice and feel totaly out my depth even though i appreciate everyone of you so here goes i have got my dads death record of the GRO index i thought that was an actual death certificate my bad ,i have one item of my dads i dont no if this makes any difference which is his passport :-S

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Feb 2023 15:54

Unfortunately, his passport will have only the name he was known by when he applied for it

It would appear that he was adopted by Arthur and Elizabeth (nee Draper), but you need his marriage cert for confirmation, and even then you will not be able to find out his birth name