Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

"Changes to tree" email just rec' from GR

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Jul 2012 17:05

The bits I liked have gone lol... can't please everyone!

Kense

Kense Report 11 Jul 2012 20:35

Which bits did you like Rose?

I had the impression that only about six people liked anything about the old new tree.

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Jul 2012 21:13

Hi Kense, I rather liked the 'slide across' feature...that everyone else seemed to hate :-D and I think the font is now different ( have only had a quick glance) and the frames to the pictures have gone? I don't use the tree facility much so am not going to grumble, if it suits everyone else all well and good :-D

Seems a good thing that if you make an error it is easier to amend without having to delete too much.

Kense

Kense Report 11 Jul 2012 22:20

The main thing I don't like is the Please Wait box which seems too prominent. I think you are right about the font - I am now married to Josephi.. instead of Joseph.. :-)

Kense

Kense Report 11 Jul 2012 22:29

I'm a bit puzzled by the list. It seems you can sort on most columns, but not the middle name, by clicking on the column header. However if you do that for the Mother or Father columns the ordering seems strange.

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Jul 2012 22:41

Just had a look at the ordering , yes it does seem a bit odd...may be me though lol

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Jul 2012 23:20

It's no better than its immediate predecessor - which was a total shambles.

I'm sticking with the old tree - it is far superior to the so-called 'improved' versions

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 11 Jul 2012 23:36

I'll give it a go, see if it works.

Gai

Gai Report 12 Jul 2012 01:08

I never received an email and if it wasn't for these boards wouldn't have known that there is a new tree.

Why GR doesn't tell all members that there are going to be changes just astounds me.

Kense

Kense Report 12 Jul 2012 10:14

Perhaps you needed to have "Occasional Newsletter" selected in your email preferences in "My Account" in order to receive that email.

Gai

Gai Report 12 Jul 2012 11:55

Just double checked and the Occasional Newsletter option was ticked on my account. So why I never received the email is still a mystery.

Joy

Joy Report 12 Jul 2012 12:08

What email? :-S

And nothing in announcements board about it.

Gai

Gai Report 12 Jul 2012 12:17

Joy, glad I'm not the only one that hasn't received the email.

So the question has to be asked.

How did GR decide which members were sent the email?

Joy

Joy Report 12 Jul 2012 12:33

Perhaps chosen at random again as in http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/suggestions/thread/1302778?d=desc

Gai

Gai Report 12 Jul 2012 12:44

Maybe they only sent it to people who have updated or worked on their trees in the past week.

I most certainly wouldn't qualify if that was the criteria that was used.

:-( :-(

Joy

Joy Report 12 Jul 2012 13:00

Ah. I removed mine (with help from Phil Moir) during a time of the site's instability.

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Jul 2012 13:26

As it seems not everyone has received it, i will copy what I can here...it's missing the images,

"Take a look at our new tree!

Dear Rambling Rose ,

Thank you for taking the time to send in your feedback over the last few months and let us know what you think to the new tree. We have listened to what our members have said and we have made some exciting new changes!

Our members said:

How do I view other trees?

We changed the text and made it more obvious.

I don't like the sliding panel.

The edit panel no longer slides out across the entire page, and it will now stay open as you move around your tree. You can click on the tabs to view photos in the Gallery or see the Lifeline. Any records you have attached can be found under Events.

There's an 'add' button in the top right hand corner so you can easily add even more names to your tree.

Help, I've made a mistake in my tree!

We added a new section on the edit panel so you can change who the parents are, making it easier to move names around your tree and correct any errors.

How do I view all of the relations in my tree?

We have created a List view. You can see all the names in your tree, search for specific names and edit the details.

How do I know if I've got the right relation?

We have added a certainty tool so you can give each name in your tree a rating from 1 to 5 stars, with 5 stars meaning you are certain it is the right person.

That's it for now, but we really hope you like the new changes we have made. Keep your eyes open as we have got even more exciting changes for the tree planned over the next few months.

We hope you enjoy growing your tree!

The Genes Reunited Team"

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Jul 2012 13:30

Gai, I haven't worked on my tree for months, I do have 'occasional newsletters' ticked in email preferences, I did give feedback on the new tree when it first came out....

on the other hand it could be random, or people with an R in their name? ;-)

Gai

Gai Report 12 Jul 2012 13:43

RR,

That's the key. You gave feedback on the new tree which is something that I didn't see the need to do given I normally upload a gedcom to GR.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 12 Jul 2012 14:27

I received the email but I don't remember giving any feedback on the new tree. Perhaps I'm just getting forgetful in my old age! I very rarely use my GR tree these days, but within the last couple of weeks I have added half a dozen names. I used the old tree format to do it.

If I did give them any feedback on the new tree I'd love to know what I said!

EDIT: I don't have occasional newsletters ticked in my preferences so that can't be the criteria GR used