Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Cartwright b.1872 died ?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 15 Feb 2014 15:38

Im working back as suggested, and Ive some solid facts about the above, born 1872 Market Drayton. Father Thomas and Elizabeth, spouse (I have certificate) Charlotte Lee marr. 31st Oct 1895 Ive found he was in Shropshire LI for 4 years up to 1919 had children. Jack, (my dad)Evelyn, Florence and Gladys, then he disappears, anyone know how I can find his death record, or burial place, or anything, would be most grateful,....St Marys was the main Parish Church in MD.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Feb 2014 16:05

To look for his death........................

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Do you have other threads about this?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Feb 2014 16:08

For INFO

1901 census

Person: CARTWRIGHT, William Address: Tinkers Lane, Drayton In Hales, Market Drayton

CARTWRIGHT, William Head Married M 29 1872 Printer Compositor
Market Drayton, Salop VIEW
CARTWRIGHT, Charlotte E Wife Married F 27 1874
CARTWRIGHT, Florence May Daughter F 3 1898
CARTWRIGHT, Evelyn D Daughter F 1 1900

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 15 Feb 2014 17:45

This must be him, it mentions wife Charlotte Elizabeth, 25 Longlands Lane, Market Drayton:

British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920
about William Cartwright Name: William Cartwright
Estimated birth year: abt 1873
Age at enlistment: 42
Residence: 25 Longlands Lane, Market Drayton Salop
Document Year: 1915
Regiment Name: National Reserve

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Feb 2014 18:24

WHITCHURCH (SHROPSHIRE) - covers Market Drayton

Two to consider

First Name WILLIAM
Last Name CARTWRIGHT
Gender Male
Year 1941
Birth Year 1872
District WHITCHURCH (SHROPSHIRE)
County Shropshire
Country England
Volume 6A
Event Quarter 4
District Number
Page 1559

First Name WILLIAM
Last Name CARTWRIGHT
Gender Male
Year 1952
Birth Year 1872
District WHITCHURCH (SHROPSHIRE)
County Shropshire
Country England
Volume 9A
Event Quarter 2
District Number
Page 235

Do you have the MC for any of the children, which might say if he were deceased or not?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 15 Feb 2014 20:46

I think that 1941 death might be ruled out with this probate unless he married again.

Name: William Cartwright
Probate Date: 5 May 1942 Death Date: 8 Nov 1941
Death Place: Salop, England Registry: Chester, England

Bank House, Rose Hill, Market Drayton. Administration to Eva Beatrice Cartwright

If Charlotte died in 1939 then who was the informant

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Feb 2014 22:38

The one who died in 1941

Marriages Dec 1908 (>99%)
CARTWRIGHT William Wem 6a 1453
MATTHEWS Eva Beatrice Wem 6a 1453

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 16 Feb 2014 10:52

I have searched all of the obvious BMD records, parish etc

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 16 Feb 2014 10:54

Yes I've got all that As I said the death records burial etc I can't find, he seems to have dropped off the radar, he didn't attend my mother and fathers marriage,min the 30s and I wonder if he was I'll, or dead then, but still no luck, thx

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Feb 2014 11:06

Have you actually bought either of the DC as mentioned above?

If you have, then either he died out of area, was ill or otherwise occupied as you suggest, or the record of a death has got lost between the local registry office and the GRO.

If the death was recorded on the GRO list, then it might have been badly mangled at some point.

Market Drayton Cemetery charges £30 per hour for a record search - your cheaper option would be to purchase the DC's. £9.25 each from
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 16 Feb 2014 11:10

I have the army records and I know Williams father was Thomas C 1843 this is on the q1851 census. I don't think the 1941 William is the one as there are no relatives with the names Eva Beatrice matthews, but then maybe he did remarry,! Maybe the 2nd one in 1951 wd be worth considering, any help wd. Be so much appreciated, you are all stars!

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 16 Feb 2014 11:12

If I purchase the marriage certificate for the 1951 William what info will that give me? His spouse? Or informant?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Feb 2014 11:18

Unless you already have your parents MC, if might be worth purchasing it to see if he was declared as 'Deceased' on it.

You can find the GRO reference to order it on any subscription site or http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

Reggie has ruled out the 1941 death as the relevant marriage was in 1908. His service records 1915 names Charlotte Elizabeth as his wife, not Eva Beatrice

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Feb 2014 11:20

The cert would name the informant.............who is normally a relative but not always.

See

http://www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/deaths.htm

Added - you also have to remember that the information they give is what they believe is true, but could be wrong.

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 16 Feb 2014 11:38

Thank you DETECTIVE, I have been whittling choices down before I actually buy another DC, I've spent so much money so far, but I'm so enjoying it,thx for the info on MD cemeteries, is there any way I can find who registered death before I buy certificate the 1951 Whitchurch Shropshire.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Feb 2014 11:51

Unfortunately not - Even if you were to phone the local reg office, if they were helpful they'd likely only confirm a name you gave them, not volunteer information.

Considering the number of possibles - wife, daughter, son-in-laws (plus any middle names) - it's not really an option. But there is no harm in asking them, is there?
How about his occupation?

http://whitchurch-shropshire.inuklocal.co.uk/authorities/registry-office-15-1134
If they issue the cert for you, its likely to cost more than the GRO one.

You could try the same with GRO giving the checking point of say his occupation.

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 16 Feb 2014 14:41

He was a compositor, or called letter press printer I'm also trying to find where he worked, brick wall there as well...I'm turning into a bat! The Shropshire record office charge £9 will look at GRO. How much are they?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Feb 2014 22:29

(we went out!)

GRO charge £9.25 inc 2nd class P&P

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 17 Feb 2014 22:45

Nudging up to join the other thread :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Feb 2014 23:51

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/tips_board/thread/1337257