Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find a marriage MCILRAY

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CasCas

CasCas Report 12 Jul 2017 19:06

Hello

Long shot but Im trying to find a marriage between an Elizabeth MCILRAY and Ronald GREENWOOD.

We dont know when or where they were married but they had a daughter Stephanie GREENWOOD in 1963 in Richmond Yorkshire.

The following year 1964 in Germany (Ronald was in the forces) Elizabeth had a daughter Kim whos birth was registered as GREENWOOD and also MCILRAY.

Can anyone find any info re a GREENWOOD X MCILRAY marriage or a Birth for Elizabeth MCILRAY? Seem to have hit a brick wall here.

Many thanks

:-S

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Jul 2017 19:54

Well as the births show in bioth names it indicates the parents weren't married but the father acknowledged pattenty so he is on the certs as the father

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Jul 2017 19:57

Was the daughter born in Germany
If it was forces then they wouldn't have housed them if they weren't married

CasCas

CasCas Report 12 Jul 2017 20:11

Thanks for the info.
Stephanie GREENWOOD was b1963 in Yorkshire mmn MCILRAY so we assume parents were married.

Kim was born 1964 in Military Hospital Munster Germany. Her name was registered MCILRAY and GREENWOOD no father on birth cert but mother it says was wife of RG so we assume Kim was not the daughter of Mr G but they were still married.

As far as I can see Stephanies birth (first child) was only registeted as Greenwood so parents probably married.
:-S

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Jul 2017 20:34

never safe to make an assumption!!

If mother presented herself as MRS Greenwood, there wouldn't be a question ...... it would be assumed that Ronald was the father. You didn't have to produce a marriage certificate!

CasCas

CasCas Report 12 Jul 2017 20:41

On Kims birth cert it only states mother. Father column has a line through it.

Re mothers details it states Elizabeth Greenwood wife of Ronald G formerly McIlray. As this birth was registered in both names McIlray and Greenwood we assumed Mr G wasnt father (even if they were still married).

Regards :-S

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 12 Jul 2017 22:35

I don't see the birth of any Elizabeth McIlray in England, Wales, Ireland or Scotland, in a generous time-frame.

There are other spellings (McIlroy, McElroy , McIlree, McElrea,) but not exactly McIlray.

The only McIlray I can see in a reasonable year is a Gerald, born in Cork in 1943.

It's a mainly Irish or Scottish name.

CasCas

CasCas Report 12 Jul 2017 22:58

Thanks Argyll gran.

It's a real mistery I've tried a few versions but still no luck. We've ordered a birth cert for Stephanie to see how it's spelt. Kim's birth cert foes say mothers maiden name MCILRAY.

Regards
Cass

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Jul 2017 02:51

Have you looked for an overseas marriage?

Perhaps the couple met and married at the place of a previous military posting.

CasCas

CasCas Report 13 Jul 2017 06:57

Hi yes I thought maybe overseas marriage but I dont have access to anything like that.

Tegards
Cass

malyon

malyon Report 13 Jul 2017 12:54

could they have been married in Ireland if Ronald was in the army Elizabeth may have been born in ireland

CasCas

CasCas Report 13 Jul 2017 14:07

Hi Maylon

Yrs its s possibility I suppose. I font have access to any Orish records unfortunately

Regards
Cass

malyon

malyon Report 13 Jul 2017 16:24

some one may have and will look for you did they return to England?

CasCas

CasCas Report 13 Jul 2017 17:02

They had a child in England 1963 then a child in Germany in 1964 then the trail goes cold. Possibly didnt return. I was hoping to find births and marriages for them so I could look for siblings who msy know what happened to them....

malyon

malyon Report 13 Jul 2017 18:34

was Ronald born 1930?

greyghost

greyghost Report 13 Jul 2017 19:06

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/military_chat/thread/1367122

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Jul 2017 09:55

If he was army and stationed in Germany then he would have been there for a set time then be posted back to England

As she had a baby by someone else it would seem they may have separated .she wouldn't have been abandoned by the army though she would be brought back to the uk but not housed in army quarters

My daughter was married to an army guy and she had our grandaughter in Germany

They came back to the uk after his 4 years placement was up

They were housed but the marriage broke up and she was given notice to quit with her two kids

The army literally closed ranks even though he was the guilty party

lavender

lavender Report 16 Jul 2017 14:33

Still searching birth ELIZABETH MCILRAY

Would welcome a search overseas, please :-)

Many thanks

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 16 Jul 2017 16:29

Nothing coming up on Ancestry.ca (World Deluxe membership).
Not even a marriage between a McIlray and an Elizabeth.

Maybe she was born in some country whose BMD records aren't readily available online.

lavender

lavender Report 16 Jul 2017 20:05

Thank you so much for looking that up thank you, ArgyllGran :-)