Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help needed please

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lesley

Lesley Report 27 May 2007 11:30

I have just found out that my g grandfather caleb Innes was boarded out from Hanwell school middlesex.I googled this and found that its a poor law school. At age 13 he was down in the census as boarded out which app means he was orphaned or deserted.How can I find out more.thankyou.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 May 2007 11:51

When was he born? And where? Reg

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 27 May 2007 12:05

I don't think boarding out necessarily means he was orphaned or deserted. Older children were often boarded out from homes and Institutions, to make a bit of room for younger children to be admitted to a Home. Depending on when this was, he might have already been out at work, and the boarding out bit was a transition from life in the Home, to independent living - he could not have afforded to live on his own at age 13. OC

Lesley

Lesley Report 27 May 2007 12:19

I;m not sure about birth.If he was 13 in 1901 that would be 1878.Hanwell schools took from city of london,st saviour southwark and st martin in the fields.His wife died in 1930,feb of dropsy age 52.they lived at 21a or 23a cowper rd wimbledon sw19 at some stage.I was told he was a sailor but I dont know if that is true.Thanks for putting me straight on school info.lesley.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 May 2007 12:36

Have you got his marriage cert hopefully it has his dads name on it.

Lesley

Lesley Report 27 May 2007 12:51

No I havent got the certif yet.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 May 2007 12:54

cant see him on any Ancestry census

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 27 May 2007 12:58

Erm, birth year 1888, surely, not 1878? OC

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 May 2007 13:04

Possibility on the 1891 Caleb A Inns Age: 2 Estimated birth year: abt 1889 Relation: Son Father's name: George Mother's name: Drneilla Gender: Male Where born: Walworth, London, England Civil parish: Newington St Mary Ecclesiastical parish: St Marks Town: London City County/Island: London Country: England Street address:4 Kings Arch Place St Mary newington . Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: St Saviour Southwark Sub-registration district: St Peter Walworth ED, institution, or vessel: 34 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Albert G Inns 13 Caleb A Inns 2 Drneilla Inns 38 -boot machinest b Southwark Francis W Inns 11 George Inns 39 -boot finisher b Towcester Northampton Rosa S Inns 9 children all born Walworth . The area would be right for intake into the industrial School

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 May 2007 13:11

possible birth Births Mar 1889 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Inns Caleb Arthur St. Saviour 1d 127

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 May 2007 13:13

you need that marriage cert for his dads name. when did he marry and do you know his wifes name

Lesley

Lesley Report 27 May 2007 13:14

Shirley,you sure are getting the hang of it.That sounds like them to me.thankyou so much. ps maths was never a strong point with me,I'm more the artistic type. :)

Lesley

Lesley Report 27 May 2007 13:19

Thats great that we have got that far but,how do you say her name ?.I supose I look for thier deaths now to see if that is the reason he was put in and did the others go in too.

Lesley

Lesley Report 27 May 2007 13:50

Shirley,I put everything I know on the prev message.Wife rosina.This has made my day.I have added them to my tree.thankyou everyone.xxxxxx

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 May 2007 14:10

Sorry been away doing lunch, Can you tell me the wifes full name and I will search for the marriage cert. Shirley Ps the wifes name on the 1891 is difficult to understand /read the indexer has done their best I can see a Drusilla with a Caleb ??? on the 1881 but dont think that them, Guess a search for that marriage too would help. you could try looking on Freebmd for that one. Update again I think that the name is Drusilla!!! and george may well be Caleb george and the one i found on the 1881 will check again

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 May 2007 14:24

theres this marriage may be them Marriages Sep 1870 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- HENLEY Drusilla Northampton 3b 102 INNS Caleb Northampton 3b 102 You need to get Calebs birth cert cos this will confirm the parents names.

Lesley

Lesley Report 27 May 2007 14:26

yes I'm getting confused now.Iwent on freebdm and all I can find for george ,towcester is 1845 or 1866 both wrong.I also found drusilla but again m 1870 is wrong.I couldnt find a birth for rosa exept at towchester 1881 not st saviour like the others.I'm getting a headache.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 May 2007 14:37

this is them on the 1881 note George is now Caleb!! but the childrens tie up . am guesing that Caleb later became known as George. Caleb Inns Age: 30 Estimated birth year: abt 1851 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Drusilla Gender: Male Where born: Towcester, Northamptonshire, England Civil parish: Newington County/Island: London Country: England Street address: 173 Trafalgar St Condition as to marriage: Married Education: Employment status: View image Occupation: Boot Finisher Registration district: St Saviour Southwark Sub-registration district: St Peter Walworth ED, institution, or vessel: 19c Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Albert George Innes 4 b Newington Drusilla H. Innes 7 b Warwick Birmingham Frances Wm Innes 2 b Newington Caleb Inns 30 b Towcester Northampton Drusilla Inns 29 Now showing as born Towcester Northampton

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 May 2007 14:38

Albert George birth Births Jun 1877 INNS Albert George St. Saviour 1d 99 --------------------------------------------------------------- Drusilla Henley Inns birth Births Dec 1874 Inns Drusilla Henley Birmingham 6d 108 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Francis William birth Births Dec 1879 Inns Francis William St. Saviour 1d 121 -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Lesley

Lesley Report 27 May 2007 14:43

I think both him and his dad were caleb george or george caleb which is making it harder.The kids add up but we have lost rosa,gained another drusilla and where did charles age 25 come in ? Iv'e got eye strain now.